VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Everyone, Had a breakthrough with my Vag-Com Today, but first the story..:cool:

So I have successfully activated the LED DRLs to be "on" when the light switch is in the "off" position. Easy modification, I know. We all love those lights and want them on as much as possible. But what I have been looking for was to be able to have the light switch in the "parking light" position with the DRLs still at full brightness. When you do this normally, the DRLs dim to the same brightness as when the low beams are activated.:mad:

Essentially what I was looking for was the following:
In Parking light mode...
DRLS at FULL brightness up front
Tail lights on in the rear

This mod allows for driving in dusk while still looking mean and bright up front. Those DRLs (92%) are rather bright and this mode allows me to drive well into the dark while still having good visibility.

Here is how to do it (Vag Com Required)

Select Module 09 (cent. elec)
Coding (sub module 0)
Long Coding Helper
Select Byte 25
Edit the two digit Byte from 00 to 86
Hit enter on the keyboard
Exit the coding helper
Select DO IT!

One thing to note... When the car key is not in the ON position, the LEDs will remain dim (to save battery life) So when testing this make sure your Key is in the ON or even the RUN position.

So far I have had no ill effects from this coding change. Everything works just as I want it with no warning lights on the dash. It also helps to deactivate the amber side marker lights which aids in the sleek look up front.

As with any DIY, please perform these modifications at your own risk. Anytime you alter the coding of a controller you should write down the original code and any modification you made.

Thanks and I hope this helps other TT owners out there!

-RS:beer:

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Hey Everyone, Had a breakthrough with my Vag-Com Today, but first the story..:cool:

So I have successfully activated the LED DRLs to be "on" when the light switch is in the "off" position. Easy modification, I know. We all love those lights and want them on as much as possible. But what I have been looking for was to be able to have the light switch in the "parking light" position with the DRLs still at full brightness. When you do this normally, the DRLs dim to the same brightness as when the low beams are activated.:mad:

Essentially what I was looking for was the following:
In Parking light mode...
DRLS at FULL brightness up front
Tail lights on in the rear

This mod allows for driving in dusk while still looking mean and bright up front. Those DRLs (92%) are rather bright and this mode allows me to drive well into the dark while still having good visibility.
Awesome! Thanks for this. I almost always drive with parking lights on and it'd be nice to have brighter LED output.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome! Thanks for this. I almost always drive with parking lights on and it'd be nice to have brighter LED output.
Glad I could help..

Please post your results. I am curious to see if this works across the platform

Thanks,
RS

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Will be doing this when I get home tonight. Thanks for the detective work!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I feel like there is something really cool here that I am missing..

So normally I drive around with my lights in Auto mode. My DRLs are on all the time.

What am I missing that this will do for me? What am I not getting while driving around in Auto mode?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I feel like there is something really cool here that I am missing..

So normally I drive around with my lights in Auto mode. My DRLs are on all the time.

What am I missing that this will do for me? What am I not getting while driving around in Auto mode?

Thanks
You are correct.
In AUTO mode you have your DRLs on and then your low beams/tails come on in early dusk (too early for me personally so I leave my switch in OFF). This mod allows me to run DRLs + Tails at my discretion in parking light mode for those early evening drives where i don't want low beams on yet and want to continue to look cool with the DRLs, but also add tails for rear visibility.

This is purely a pick and choose lighting set up that is not at all necessary and is strictly for my enjoyment during those low light hours.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey unclubbed any other codes you have that you can share. I tried the amber off that I got from VAGOC and it did work but it also shut my hi beams also.
Thanks
I cannot remember exactly which bit to check/uncheck, but the Amber side markers are able to be disabled with one of the bits that have a nice text description next to it curtesy of RossTech. So read through each Byte under the long coding helper for Module 09 Cent Elec., and you will find the one. Sorry I cannot remember the exact one. If I have a chance I will go back and see which one it was, stupid me did not write it down when I did the mod (bad idea)

Thanks

·
Registered
340 Posts
For submodule 0:

Byte 02
bit 0 -
bit 1 - front side markers as DRL
bit 2 - headlights as DRL
bit 3 - fog lights as DRL
bit 4 - LED strip as DRL
bit 5 -
bit 6 - side markers as DRL
bit 7 - tail lights as DRL

Byte 03
bit 0 -
bit 1 -
bit 2 - LEDs remain at full brightness with parking lights
bit 3 -
bit 4 - Turns off DRLs when checked
bit 5 -
bit 6 -
bit 7 - Turn off LED-strip DRL with turn signal (dim LED if front side marker also selected as DRL)

Byte 10
bit 3 - Set to 0 to disable amber side markers (U.S. vehicles)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
You are correct.
In AUTO mode you have your DRLs on and then your low beams/tails come on in early dusk (too early for me personally so I leave my switch in OFF). This mod allows me to run DRLs + Tails at my discretion in parking light mode for those early evening drives where i don't want low beams on yet and want to continue to look cool with the DRLs, but also add tails for rear visibility.

This is purely a pick and choose lighting set up that is not at all necessary and is strictly for my enjoyment during those low light hours.
Works like a champ! Thanks for this little tweak, I love stuff like this. :thumbup: But I also smile every time I see cars with LED's wink when signaling...if they only knew...

·
Registered
178 Posts
no VAG COM

Hi folks!

I don't have a VAG COM. U think the dealership could do this for me?

I'm good friends with them.but of course I will be the one liable with the warranty concerning with the lighting

if something go wrong .

Thanks a bunch Guys!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Hi folks!

I don't have a VAG COM. U think the dealership could do this for me?

I'm good friends with them.but of course I will be the one liable with the warranty concerning with the lighting

if something go wrong .

Thanks a bunch Guys!
The dealer may not want to do it because they can be held liable for any modification that is done to a vehicle including software, BUT........ If you become really good friends with a tech, take car in for oil change or something common and tell tech exactly what you want and ususally they will get it done.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Auto mode

In auto mode I don't think you have a choice. They will be full bright in daytime. I have a Euro switch installed. On my CC it was plug and play, no programming required. I have the high line system installed. I think most CC's have the high line installed.

With the Euro switch you'll get full bright LED DRL in OFF, and PARKING all day if you have removed dimming through VAGCOM or with wiring modification. With Auto you'll only get full bright during daytime.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I posted the coding somewhere on here. I don't have time to search right now but it's posted in here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts