VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today was a great day!!!!

With all the posts about the foglights being so poor and off colour, it reminded me I had a set that I took off my 2011 VW GTI before trading it in.

Low and behold they are the same bulb as my new Atlas!! I installed the Philips LED bulbs and they are a perfect match to the headlights.

Easy install not even 5mins a side and they were plug and play.

These were originally purchased from www.xenondepot.com.

This set is a few years used and completely problem free. Another option for the folks considering the LED foglights upgrade.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What bulbs exactly are they? I'm interested if they are plug and play. I'd rather not have to install a kit, as I've done that in the past and at one point or another they seem to malfunction.

Thanks!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The small box doesn't get mounted inside the housing.

It's built in line with the wiring. It just lives behind the bulb and is protected by the bumper and fenderliner.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Do you have instructions on how you get to the housing? 5 min a side seems like it would be simple. thx
I got the same one, bought from amazon on sale black friday for 100 CAD$. Very good light and plug and play, no codes.
For the install, driver side is accessible from the wheel well, turning the wheels to the right and unscrewing a couple bolts until you can move the liners with medium force. On the passenger side, you can access from the top easily.

Currently on sale on amazon.com for you guys in USA, https://www.amazon.com/Philips-X-tr...1515854180&sr=8-1&keywords=philips+h8+h16+led

·
Registered
2018 Atlas R-Line; 2019 330xi M-Sport
32,516 Posts
I got the same one, bought from amazon on sale black friday for 100 CAD$. Very good light and plug and play, no codes.
For the install, driver side is accessible from the wheel well, turning the wheels to the right and unscrewing a couple bolts until you can move the liners with medium force. On the passenger side, you can access from the top easily.

Currently on sale on amazon.com for you guys in USA, https://www.amazon.com/Philips-X-tr...1515854180&sr=8-1&keywords=philips+h8+h16+led
It's nice to see that Amazon offers "expert installation" for the low price of $400. :facepalm:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did research on Amazon customer reviews, most people said Bright , Bright, Bright, but no one mentioned whether they illuminate down the road very well and further enough to see.
Can you tell me please !
Right now, I have replaced my H8 (35W) Fog lights with H11 (55W) Halogen lights and they illuminate well and further enough down the road especially during sunset time, as you know OEM LED headlights are useless during that time of the day.
Thanks

·
Registered
262 Posts
I did research on Amazon customer reviews, most people said Bright , Bright, Bright, but no one mentioned whether they illuminate down the road very well and further enough to see.
Can you tell me please !
Right now, I have replaced my H8 (35W) Fog lights with H11 (55W) Halogen lights and they illuminate well and further enough down the road especially during sunset time, as you know OEM LED headlights are useless during that time of the day.
Thanks
They do not project that much more than the OEM bulb... however, it could be more a limitation of the reflector than the bulb.

·
Registered
4 Posts

That's strange...all I had to do was pull the plastic frame cover thingy around the lamp, pull one torx screw and the fog lamp housing slipped right out. Not the same in the CA models?

More info...the torx screw is hidden behind the plastic cover surrounding the light housing. The small opening next to the fog light is for adjustments only.

·
Registered
34 Posts
how easy was it to take off the plastic cover? It seems to overhang the housing. Did you simply pull from the edges or use a pry tool?

Just ordered a set of bulbs, install this weekend hopefully.

Still can't believe that these weren't LED to begin with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
how easy was it to take off the plastic cover? It seems to overhang the housing. Did you simply pull from the edges or use a pry tool?

Just ordered a set of bulbs, install this weekend hopefully.

The plastic cover has plastic tabs all around (tabs attach to the bumper around the fog housing)... carefully pry off on the top and bottom edges and it should pop forward.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I noticed that the other day too on my wife’s Atlas...time to order a set myself.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I installed via the fender liner. No chance of breaking any tabs. Removed 5 screws and you are done. Honestly took me 5 mins a side not even.

In answer to some of the other questions, for me i wanted them to match the headlight color which they do, perfectly. I wasn't as concerned with them projecting any further then stock.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Do you have instructions on how you get to the housing? 5 min a side seems like it would be simple. thx
The easiest way is to pry from the inside of the cover, slowly going around the inside against the glass. Do this on the top and bottom and to the grill side. There are two tabs on the wheel side so if you pull from the grill side you don’t have to mess with those two tabs. There is nothing to break here as this outer cover is not attached very securely to begin with.

Next remove the single T25 Torx screw.

Similarly, the fog light housing itself also has two tabs securing it to the bumper on the wheel side. Once the Torx screw is removed the entire housing can pivot out.

Installation is the reverse of removal. For the outer cover, install the two tabs on the wheel side first and then make sure that the remaining seven tabs fit on the outside of the fog light housing and it will easily snap back in...difficult to see in the below pic but it won’t go on otherwise. If you are forcing the cover on then you don’t have the tabs on the outside and may break or bend them.

** No bulbs were harmed or replaced in the pictorial. **

·
Registered
3 Posts
LED Fog/Driving lights

Thanks for the pictures, well worth posting. I started to remove the wheel well liner and gave up, I had removed 7-8 screws and it wasn't going anywhere. Much easier to gain access via removing the trim. Funny thing, your trim piece is different, the adjustment screw hole is part of the trim on mine and not on yours. I have an R-Line assuming that is the difference. I bought the deAuto LED's and thus far work flawlessly. Thanks again for the pics!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for all the posts and tips everyone. I ordered mine off Amazon and installed them today. I did it by removing the trim rings and it was so simple. Less than 5 minutes for both sides!

I find them to be brighter than the stock halogen bulbs, giving the fogs a greater field of light on the road. If nothing else, they certainly look much better than the halogen bulbs... can't believe VW didn't do this at the factory... especially on the Execline models.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Ordered. Will have to see if I want to do yellow vinyl covers.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Installed. ~$107 on the Amazon. Ordered some trim tools as well....no idea why I never had those before! Whole job took 15 min. Removed the trim rings...they are very pliable and you won't snap them off. Like above, work from inside to outside. Remove torx. Remove bulb, install LED, reinstall light. Done. Very happy. Matches the headlights well. GT Yellow Headlight Armor on the way. The trim is somewhat hard to get back on as you have to stretch it a bit to get the tabs to go in the right area. Enjoy.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts