VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a few night shots of the DeAutokey LED rear bulbs. Really impressed by them.

Tail lamps on

Brakes on

·
Registered
336 Posts
I converted mine last year. Exceptional results! The INSTANT ON effect is great as well as the brightness... for a single bulb housing

2012 Passat TDI 6MT

·
Vendor
22,322 Posts
miamipassat - thanks for the great photos and feedback! We appreciate it.

I converted mine last year. Exceptional results! The INSTANT ON effect is great as well as the brightness... for a single bulb housing

2012 Passat TDI 6MT
Thank you. Our LEDs are unique that when you switch out the tails/brakes it has a lot of contrast meaning when you activate the brake it is bright so it looks like you are braking, it is a big concern of many customers who contact us after buying other LEDs. If there is not enough contrast between tails and brakes people will not notice you braking which defeats the purpose of installing LEDs.

This kit has both brake/tails (complete kit):
http://deautokey.com/product/passat-b7-complete-brake-osram-led-bright-error-free

Or just brake LEDs:
http://deautokey.com/product/passat-b7-brake-osram-led-bright-error-free

We suggest switching them all out as it gives you more of a LED tail look.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Saw this post last night and couldn't wait anymore, so I went ahead and ordered them. I did the back up led's awhile back. Thanks DeAuto! :thumbup:

·
Registered
519 Posts
This is a must upgrade for the Passat. So much brighter and more noticeable now. I have it on both of my Passats (LED DRLS too.) Install is a breeze too.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Been considering these (or at least the reversing bulbs) for my g/f's B7 & those shots above may just be the tipping point I needed. They do look gooood & I'm just not ready to do the added work to slide a set of Chinese-market tails on yet. Look like they'll make a nice counter-point to the HID headlights I dropped in last month. :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Vendor
22,322 Posts
Saw this post last night and couldn't wait anymore, so I went ahead and ordered them. I did the back up led's awhile back. Thanks DeAuto! :thumbup:
This is a must upgrade for the Passat. So much brighter and more noticeable now. I have it on both of my Passats (LED DRLS too.) Install is a breeze too.
Been considering these (or at least the reversing bulbs) for my g/f's B7 & those shots above may just be the tipping point I needed. They do look gooood & I'm just not ready to do the added work to slide a set of Chinese-market tails on yet. Look like they'll make a nice counter-point to the HID headlights I dropped in last month. :thumbup::thumbup:
Thanks everyone for the support and orders, we ship daily so you will receive your LEDs by the end of the week.

They are bright / error free and make the tails look like LED OEM and cleaner, must have upgrade for sure.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Unfortunately, I've continued to have problems out of mine. The first order I received had a seemingly defective bulb from the start. The right tail was flickering and showing error codes from the very beginning. This happened with 642 miles on my vehicle. I was sent another bulb free of charge and had no issues until over a year later.

After about a year, my girlfriend noticed that my left tail would flicker faintly after the brake had been depressed for about 15-30 seconds. A month or two later, I began receiving an error message about the right turn signal. It flickers on and off badly -- both when the blinker is on and when the brakes are depressed. Car now has 21,426 miles.

I've sent an email to their customer service team. Last time they were great and took care of me promptly.

First Error Code at 642 Miles

Second Error Code at 21,426 Miles

·
Vendor
22,322 Posts
Grizzld - sorry to hear this, with any electronics issues can occur but our defect rate on these LEDs are very low - we believe in the reliability of our LEDs and why we offer a Lifetime Warranty on our product - simply ship any LEDs giving you an issue and we will send you new ones.

Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Are these a newer version? I brought the complete set a couple months back, and while they're brighter than stock as tails, they brakes are just a little brighter.

·
Vendor
22,322 Posts
Are these a newer version? I brought the complete set a couple months back, and while they're brighter than stock as tails, they brakes are just a little brighter.
We use the same setup - the contrast between brake/tails should be very noticeable - that is the biggest issue customers email us with when purchasing/piecing together OTHER LEDs for their passat brake LEDs. Our kit uses bright brake LEDs to provide the contrast.

We have yet to have any issues or hear any complaints though and in person we thought they had nice contrast in sun light and at night.

Best led lights with lifetime guarantee.... No brainer deautokey.com:thumbup:
:thumbup: thank you - appreciated it.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread but I have a question. I just did this mod and when reinstalling the inner taillight assembly on the driver-side, it didn't line up with the edges of the trunk lid 100%. The top edge juts out ever so slightly towards the outer edge. I removed and reinstalled it numerous times, and made sure everything was tight, and no joy. It's my fault for failing to check if it was like this before I started.

We're talking a tiny amount, it could just be the factory tolerance on it. (This isn't an Audi after all, it's a made-for-America VW built in TN.) I think the spongy rubber gasket on the inside is a little oversized; it seemed to be interfering a bit when putting the taillight back.

(not my pic)

The passenger side fit perfectly on the first try.

FYI I followed this DIY guide:

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Volkswagen-Passat-Tail-Light-Bulbs-Replacement-Guide/index.html

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You have to play with it. I hate taking them out because I spend 20 minutes trying to get them back in. They should be flush if not water will get in.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
You have to play with it. I hate taking them out because I spend 20 minutes trying to get them back in. They should be flush if not water will get in.
I spent over an hour on mine (driver-side) and it kept settling into the same exact not-quite-flush position, no matter how I approached it :confused: Everything lines up in the plane of the vertical (rear) face of the trunk lid, it just protrudes ever so slightly on the outer edge.

Again, the passenger-side one settled right into place on the first try without any effort.

I think my driver-side one just never fit 100% in the first place?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts