VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys I just picked up a Lee Enfield No 4 Mk 1* made in 1944 and re-arsenaled in 1948. It's been sporterized with the barrel cut til the front sight post, no upper handguards and the lower one chopped back to the 1st barrel band. Wondering what direction you think I should go with it, I'm thinking of either going with a Scout Rifle config and throwing on a low power scope or by throwing on some replacement handguards on it and putting a regular mounted scope with it on a rear sight scope mount.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not a bad idea, looks like a great piece, now off to google to see some pics of it on an enfield.
So it's sporterized and not one of the Jungle carbines right?
Yup sporterized, not a Jungle Carbine. Held one when I went to go pick up this one, great little rifle but for as cheap as i got this one, didn't matter as much.

Anyone have any exp with cutting down barrels?

·
Registered
23,444 Posts
My understanding is that the key to trimming barrels is in the crowning. If this one is misbehaving in some way, a fresh crown by a good smith may make a significant improvement.

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
FWIW I am looking for an Enfield to cut up for a project. If you decide you want an original Enfield I might just take this one off of your hands. The project I have is going to look like this:

That's an idea for you. It ain't cheap but it's unique.

obin :)

·
Registered
23,444 Posts
Unique, yes, and maybe a little weird, too, LOL! Who thought up a conversion like that? That's pretty wild. :D

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Unique, yes, and maybe a little weird, too, LOL! Who thought up a conversion like that? That's pretty wild. :D
The British during WWII. It's a modern DeLisle carbine. The one I am going to have custom built is a copy of a French version of the same gun.

obin :beer::beer:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My understanding is that the key to trimming barrels is in the crowning. If this one is misbehaving in some way, a fresh crown by a good smith may make a significant improvement.
It's not misbehaving in any way, just thinking about trimming it a bit since its been bubbaed.
FWIW I am looking for an Enfield to cut up for a project. If you decide you want an original Enfield I might just take this one off of your hands. The project I have is going to look like this:

That's an idea for you. It ain't cheap but it's unique.

obin :)
Now that is actually a pretty cool pic, not planning on selling though since this is my first rifle I ever bought myself. You planning on doing the conversion from Special Interest Arms? Have you ever heard the Magpul 870 stock can be modified to fit an Enfield?

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
It's not misbehaving in any way, just thinking about trimming it a bit since its been bubbaed.

Now that is actually a pretty cool pic, not planning on selling though since this is my first rifle I ever bought myself. You planning on doing the conversion from Special Interest Arms? Have you ever heard the Magpul 870 stock can be modified to fit an Enfield?
Richard at SIA and myself have been trading some emails back and orth. Just the stock and custom machining is going to be $$$. I am waiting for my latest stamp to come back before I start this project. He is going to do all the work once he gets the go-ahead and i send off the cheque. It is going to be unique. I refuse to own a non-NFA .45 ACP gun.

obin :beer::beer:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I saw the suppressed enfield with the folding stock. What stock is it and awesome looking piece. I just picked up 2 sporterized enfields and want to do something unique with one of them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts