VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Well w/ the help of my friend I was finally able to wire up my front fogs today. Took all afternoon unfortunately as I'm really slow at this. In any case we successfully wired up the fogs and hit the switch. Lo and behold! only the right one lit up.
We test the electrical connections between switch and battery, switch thru wiring harness, and examined the bulb itself. Essentially all the electrical connections (save that w/in the headlight assembly itself) checked out ok. The bulb looked ok as well, only now I have to clean it again w/ alcohol as we had to handle it w/ our fingers.
So my question is what else could be wrong? In the left assembly all the other bulbs (main, turn, city) are ok (they light up). one thing we noted was that there was a white connector that led to one of the headlight bulb housings that was not connected into anything. That was the only thing we couldn't check b/c it'd gotten dark and our 2 flashlights ran out (one ran out of batteries; the other the bulb suddenly went out).
Any ideas or other possibilities? Will we be able to reconnect that one connector w/o having to take apart the grille and bumper to remove the headlight assembly?
Many thanks!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Re: Left front fog + Right front fog = 1 front fog?? (Mencius01)

I'd double check the connections at the plug on the left side.
Also, you may want to try swaping the right side H3 bulb over to the left (to see if the left side bulb is to blame).

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Re: Left front fog + Right front fog = 1 front fog?? (W0lfsburg4)

There's only a single ground for the entire system (connected to the relay). If this ground isn't there, then I wouldn't think either bulb would work.
If all the connections are good, I'd concur with the bad-bulb theory. There's also the possibility that the VW Wiring Repair Piece connected to the harness on that side may have backed out of the plug slightly (perhaps the hole drilled through the foam plug is slightly too big?), though I have a very slight overdrilling of the purple tabs in the main wiring plug itself (the piece that plugs into the headlight) and I had no problem with the wire detaching -- the green foam piece holds it in fine.
Also check to see that the connections to the relay are tight, but it sounds like you did, and the spade-to-relay connectors hold on pretty tightly, so I doubt they're loose.
I've had mine connected for about a week now and they're still operating fine.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Left front fog + Right front fog = 1 front fog?? (Buran)

Oops I forgot the mention that we checked the bulb it looked ok; swapped in another H3 bulb but that bulb didn't light either. Also the VW repair piece is correctly in all the way (at least as much as the others were).
Ok next up is to try the ground and that missing plug. Man i can't believe I still don't know how to change the bulbs - my friend was in a hurry so he went in and undid the harness and the bulbs for me.
Any other possibilites? Thanks!

·
Registered
8,588 Posts

Also check that the wires inside the lamp itself are well connected. For the H3 bulbs, there's a lead that trails from the bulb (my thread about my fogs -- http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=164165 -- has a picture of that) and it has to be seated in a connector inside the headlamp. If that connector or the attached wires (to that) are bad, that can also be the source of the problem.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts

skip using the vw repair piece. it is the main problem when trying to hook fog lights up in our cars.
instead: solder a 14ga wire to a female spade connector. Then drill a hole in the plastic cover and use a grommet to make it water proof, run the wire through the hole, make sure it is SNUG & TIGHT. Then give some slack to feed within the headlight assembly. The female spade will then connect to your H3 male connector. The connection is way more reliable.

[Modified by NiteQwill, 1:13 PM 12-3-2001]

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Wow Buran - how did you get the relay down there? I followed someone else's instructions on converting GLS - > GLX Jetta headlamps - my relay is in plain view on the engine fuse box cover. Sigh ... did you take the battery box out first?
Very nice work inside - a lot neater than what my friend and I did.

And NiteQWill - I will keep your recommendation in mind. I had ordered the Fog light wiring kit from PG Performance and basically used what they had provided in the kit. Should I run into problems later I'll try yours out - I just would like to avoid having to take apart the grille / bumper / etc again as it was a pain the first time and I don't want to bother my friend for all that again.
Thanks!

·
Registered
342 Posts

Meniscus- did you get it fixed yet? If, not then (not to insult your intelligence or anything) but are you sure that you tapped into the correct slot in the harness at the headlight? Also, maybe try to check your connections at the relay and at the red shrink connector at the junction of the VW wire and the other one. Finally, FYI, that white connector inside the headlight is for the leveling motor system. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Re: Left front fog + Right front fog = 1 front fog?? (BCDS2003T)

Hi !
I find that the best way to go about your problem is to use a tester (multimeter) to see if the connection is good. Simply get one from your local Radio Shack, (keep the receipt if you want to return it) and from the relay to the headlight simply recheck at every connection you made to see if the power gets there. Just to recap, the power goes to the right headlight than, from there, goes to the left. If that's what you did, knowing that the right one works, you just have to check in between them.
Good luck !
J-F

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Left front fog + Right front fog = 1 front fog?? (BCDS2003T)

quote:[HR][/HR]Meniscus- did you get it fixed yet? If, not then (not to insult your intelligence or anything) but are you sure that you tapped into the correct slot in the harness at the headlight? Also, maybe try to check your connections at the relay and at the red shrink connector at the junction of the VW wire and the other one. Finally, FYI, that white connector inside the headlight is for the leveling motor system. Good luck![HR][/HR]​
ha ha no problem - knowing me i probably did stick it in the wrong pinhole - but I followed the instructions as labeled that were provided with PG Peformance's wiring kit and unless the right and left side assemblies were mirrored (which they did not look like - looked like same orientation to me) we put it in the correct hole. I think my friend did check the relay and it checked out ok.
Will have to take another look when it's clear out and in the daytime. In the meantime I'm in a rental (not b/c of this but b/c of other damage I have done to my car).
I need to get a multimeter for myself and re-learn how to use one ...
thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.