VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2000 1.8 turbo that stalls only at left turns every once and a while.The dealer Bellville Vw couldn.t fix a ham sandwich!!!!Please help!!!!

·
Registered
7,778 Posts
Re: left turn stalling 1.8 t (tqracn)

check all the grounds!
they are more important than people realize.
however, when it "dies" does the motor slowly putter to a stop, or abruptly die?
when it happens do the accessories, lights , cluster shut down as well. or is this just motor?
any lights come on when it happens?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

I'm very familiar with the stalling issue... but only on a left turn only? That's weird. If you stalls during decelleration and coming to a stop. Send me an PM!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: left turn stalling 1.8 t (Lorem)

The car stalls only when I am making a left turn. I am usually decelerating at the time and when it happens the motor just shuts off completely.
The little battery light comes on in the dash but honestly I haven't particularly noticed if anything else comes on or not. The car is a 2000 beetle with 82,000 km on it.
This does not happen (fortunately) with every left turn.
We had some $50 relay replaced even though no codes came up but then it has stalled twice again since that new relay was put in.
Oh yeah..there is always gas in the tank. I include that because the guy at the shop (obviously hired for his looks rather than his brains) wanted to know if it had stalled because I had run out of gas...like I might not have noticed that!
Anyway , I do love the car in spite of the stalling and the lack of service in this area. Luckily it does not usually require very much service.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

Weird. You're not the only one with the stalling on decelleration on neutral gear. I don't think it's LEFT turn exclusive problem. Sad but I think it's will be a growing problem with older NB.
Mine is fixed with a simple swap of N75C to N75H.
That's after $5,000 with of dealer ship guess work (Turbo Unit/ECU/MAF/etc...). They practically replaced everything turbo stalling related but I did the N75H one day and it's been A-ok since.
Mine is a 1.8T GLX 2000 with 86,000miles. I had this problem during 50,000miles - 70,000miles. Two years straight I had to deal with stalling 3times a week.

Modified by Lorem at 6:31 PM 5-24-2004

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I don't want to appear stupid,but what is a 75h or 75c????I know a good GM teck but no VW ones.Thanks buy the way its my wifes car This is the only VW out if 7 that have been a pain,All the others were mine and were diesels.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

The N75 is a turbo waste gate control. I'm not an expert at this but you can do a search and learn more. I think most beetle come with N75C-or-F. I bought a N75H and it resolved my stalling problem. I think you should give it a shot. It should be around 50-60$.
I think the 1.8T is very sensitive to the imbalance operation in older beetles. The engine will stall or decrease boost rather than pollute.
Trust me your VW mechanic will pull their hair out trying pinpoint the problem. It's a phantom-stalling problem.
Go here for a how-to: http://forums.newbeetle.org/sh...t=N75

Modified by Lorem at 4:54 PM 5-27-2004

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Re: (joseywales)

Quote, originally posted by joseywales »
would this explain my stalling when stopping...rpm's just drop. also some rough idling at times.

That's the symtoms!
A. Rough idling like it's choking, tach bouncing up and down between 1,000-300RPM. Either stall out or regain normal idling.
B. Coming off the highway after a spirited drive. Downshift all the way to second gear, drop it in neutral and brake. Bam! The battery light come on and realize that your car has stalled.
C. Coming around the corner, drop into second gear, about to engage clutch. Bam! The steering wheel is stiff and the battery light come on. Guess what?... your freakin engine stall again! (This case is very dangerous)
To start up again I just roll back the key, and start it up again while the car is rolling.
I JUST HOPE VW WILL HELP OUT. I THINK THIS PROBLEM WILL APPEAR ON MORE AND MORE ON OLDER NEW BEETLES.
My experience is on a 1.8T APH only. Others have said this also the case on 2.0, but I don't think they're related to 1.8T
I can NOT assure you that the N75H will work, but it work for me.
Cheers!.... Not!

Modified by Lorem at 2:22 PM 5-28-2004

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

tqracn? Do you have an update? My wife 1.8T GLX is doing the stalling thing again starting this weekend!

·
Registered
5,750 Posts

Here's my suggestion:
check for all codes w/ VAG Com
check plugs for gap and condition, replace if need be
check throttle body and clean if need be
check intercooler and clean if need be (for oil build up)
check pcv valve for proper operation
check for updated green top coolant sensor
Good luck http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I've been out of town and have not done anything.Is your wife's car the one you seem to have fixed?
One dealer I spoke to while away said my problem is a short.They had a VW that had the same symtoms and after 3 days they found it. It was a left turn stall to. They wanted me to bring it in to them(fat chance of that).I don.t trust dealers,they are one above road kill, in my books.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts