VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
6,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently sourcing parts for my Mk3.5 Cabby dash conversion. I'd like to get the blue/red cabby instrument cluster but I've run into a problem. I know it's illegal to tamper with the odometer (eg: rolling it back) but what about getting a new one? There are two places where I could get the Cabby odometer - the dealer or in the classifieds. If I get one from the dealer can they set it to my current milage? what about a used one? could I take it to them? I have a feeling you can change it with a VAG-tool. Anyone?

· Registered
259 Posts
Re: Legality of changing ODO on swapped cluster? (lightsandsirens)

My friend ran in to the same prob.....cept not in a vw...he swaped in a tach cluster in to his grand am....the dealership DOES NOT (atleast the GM dealer didnt) do it on site....the told us they would have to send it away.....for a ridiculous price of course!!!....they quoted $135 to do it

· Registered
4,614 Posts
Re: Legality of changing ODO on swapped cluster? (veedub fan)

If you don't care that the mileage doesn't match, I believe that the dealership can give you a sticker to put on your car listing the mileage that you put the new cluster in at.
BTW, were you in Guelph the other day?

· Registered
878 Posts
Re: Legality of changing ODO on swapped cluster? (veedub fan)

Quote, originally posted by veedub fan »
My friend ran in to the same prob.....cept not in a vw...he swaped in a tach cluster in to his grand am....the dealership DOES NOT (atleast the GM dealer didnt) do it on site....the told us they would have to send it away.....for a ridiculous price of course!!!....they quoted $135 to do it

do you know why ? I do.
2 weeks ago I ran in to this problem at my shop, we were trying to change a cluster on a 95 grand am pontiac, believe it or not, each of thos e cluster s has a security code inside and your car wont even start without original cluster, they have to send it out to get it reprogrammed to work with your car, we tried 3 used clusters none of them would let you start the car, the security light always keeps on blinking when you try to start it,
possibly the reason was to keep ppl away from swapping out the clusters with lower mileage, I have no clue but it was a very dumb idea.

· Banned
2,259 Posts
Re: Legality of changing ODO on swapped cluster? (mk2dub4ever)

Ive heard the VAG COM will let you up the milage but not turn it back. unless it is less than 100kms on the odo
as for the security thing i think there is something to do with it
there is a thread on vortex. re-program your keys, (remotes) and rolling down your windows so you dont get locked out of your car etc.
not sure for the mk3
it can be done but do your research .

· Registered
6,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Legality of changing ODO on swapped cluster? (UnitedCigar)

thanks for the input guys

· Registered
1,705 Posts
Re: Legality of changing ODO on swapped cluster? (UnitedCigar)

Quote, originally posted by UnitedCigar »
Ive heard the VAG COM will let you up the milage but not turn it back. unless it is less than 100kms on the odo
as for the security thing i think there is something to do with it
there is a thread on vortex. re-program your keys, (remotes) and rolling down your windows so you dont get locked out of your car etc.
not sure for the mk3
it can be done but do your research .

doesn't that mean you can turn it UP untill the KM clock itself starts from 0 again?

· Registered
5,073 Posts
On an mk4 when you have passed 100km you can't change the milage either up or down.
as for mk3 i have no idea. but if you do buy a new one i am sure it can be programed no problem.

· Registered
6,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (Sawdust)

but I bet to buy a new Cabby cluster from the stealer would cost an arm and a leg

· Registered
6,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (lightsandsirens)

going there Friday for some misc. thingamajigs, I'll find out then

· Registered
1,452 Posts
Re: (16vRocket)

I personally have not done this, but someone had to do this in the Passat - all other models forum. Their cluster died, and they bought a new one from the stealership and had it changed to his actual milage by the dealer. I'll try and dig up the post

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.