VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

· Registered
7,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And into Bentley!
Change in executive management at Volkswagen of America
Hallmark takes over responsibility for Volkswagen business in USA - Len Hunt moves to Bentley
Wolfsburg, 09 September 2005 - A change in the executive management of Volkswagen of America headquartered in Auburn Hills will come into effect on 1 October.

Adrian Michael Hallmark, previously Board member for Sales and Marketing at Bentley, will assume responsibility for Volkswagen business in the USA and Canada. Hallmark has gathered extensive experience in the sales sector during his time with various automakers and was recently instrumental in achieving the turn-around at Bentley. The 43-year old takes over from Len Hunt as Executive Vice President of VWoA.
Len Hunt succeeds Hallmark at Bentley as Board member for Sales and Marketing. 49-year old Hunt will bring to his new post his long-standing experience of the international automotive business, e.g. at Jaguar and Audi.

· Banned
37,162 Posts
dunno if thats a good or bad thing. seems to me that vwoa would be the better job since you are controlling a much larger demographic and higher sales. but i guess bently has more prestige.

· Registered
2020 Mercedes A250 4Matic
18,154 Posts
Re: Len Hunt is outta here! (zerind)

Quote »
Volkswagen names Bentley exec to head U.S. unit
Reuters / September 09, 2005
FRANKFURT -- Volkswagen has named Adrian Michael Hallmark, the sales and marketing chief of its luxury Bentley brand, to replace Len Hunt as head of its struggling Volkswagen of America unit on Oct.1.
Hunt, in turn, replaces Hallmark as head of sales and marketing for Bentley.
The move gives Hallmark, 43, control over VW's U.S. and Canada business.
"Hallmark brings along years of sales experience at various carmakers and significantly contributed last to the turn-around at Bentley," VW said in a statement.
The move comes at a time Volkswagen is struggling to come back from a constant decline in unit sales in the United States that compounds negative currency effects from the strong euro.
North America piled up a massive operating loss of $1.13 billion in 2004, and Chief Executive Bernd Pischetsrieder has been downbeat on chances that the group could break even there even next year after another big 2005 loss.
In August, the Volkswagen division's U.S. sales rose just 1.6 percent to 23,083 units, according to the Automotive News Data Center. Yet that represented the best U.S. sales month in the past year.
For the first eight months of this year, Volkswagen unit sales have declined by 19.1 percent to 141,340 units, despite the U.S. relaunch of the new key volume models Jetta and Passat.

· Registered
4,409 Posts
Re: (Professor Gascan)

Quote, originally posted by Professor Gascan »
Is this a joke? The guy was just getting started with the turnaround.

Who else other than a luxo brand manager to take VW "upscale"... lol!!!

· Premium Member
08 TSX 6MT, 12 XC70 T6
47,883 Posts
Re: (Professor Gascan)

Quote, originally posted by Professor Gascan »
Is this a joke? The guy was just getting started with the turnaround.

God, I hope Jamie is his replacement... Len was actually getting **** done.
I wonder if his involvement with VWs on this forum has anything to do with it...
Is that a step up or a step down?
It's a step up if you consider it's a super luxo brand... but it's a step down if you consider the responsibility (I think). VW needs more direction than Bentley... that's for sure.

· Registered
24,124 Posts
Re: (Chapel)

We
Todd
Did

· Registered
1,874 Posts
Re: (Chapel)

Quote, originally posted by Chapel »

God, I hope Jamie is his replacement... Len was actually getting **** done.
I wonder if his involvement with VWs on this forum has anything to do with it...
Is that a step up or a step down?
It's a step up if you consider it's a super luxo brand... but it's a step down if you consider the responsibility (I think). VW needs more direction than Bentley... that's for sure.

I'd say it's sorta like in war movies when they give that really annoying lieutenant a promotion, but everyone knows it's just to get him out of the company so he can't kill anyone.

· Registered
4,889 Posts
Re: Len Hunt is outta here! (zerind)

Len Hunt committed a cardinal German industry sin:
He listened to customers!
You don't switch to an entirely new division this quickly unless:
1) You find to your surprise that you completely hate the job
2) Your goals/methodologies are not supported by the board
3) You sucked royally
I doubt it was "3", as he didn't even have enough time to suck royally. I would guess "2", perhaps because he looked at the evidence and did not favor a move upmarket? So they bring in the Bentley guy figuring he understands the development of a status symbol?
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me though, considering the polishing Hunt gave to the Audi brand. Maybe he hated Michigan and wanted to move to Pennsylvania?

· Registered
1,674 Posts
Re: Len Hunt is outta here! (Sunil)

Makes you wonder how much of what he said about new models etc. - particularly the entry level models that he talked about on the webcast will actually come to fruition now - particularly the 5 door GTI since he was the one really championing that car for the US

1 - 20 of 126 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.