VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with my Jetta I used all DeAutoKey bulbs, and when I picked up the GTI I decided to do a little experiment to see if I could save some money. I decided to try out some bulbs from amazon, which had good reviews. I figured like some people here that everything was either hype or everyone used same leds just different name slapped on them. And was I WRONG!!!. The Amazon bulbs (link provided below) were not as bright created dark spots in the housing and looked cheaply built. After picking up the rear brake light kit from DeAutoKey did I see the difference in quality, and it cemented my decision to never shop anywhere else. Even though the price might be slightly higher, you are getting a better bulb quality and the guarantee that if anything goes wrong they will stand behind their product. At least amazon let me return the other bulbs, but it was just a lesson that needed to be learned. So take it from someone that tried to go the other route, its not worth it. Save your time and energy and spend your money on a well built product, that will give you the best results at a great price. Just my 2 cents, but i thought i would share it will the community.

Amazon Bulb Link :http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LATB2IE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
^ this

I once tried to go around a vendor selling an LED set and save $20.

This is the result... could have lit my car and if it was in the garage my home on fire.

Its sparked out right away and I could smell the fumes. I was able to remove with no damage at all... dodged a bullet.

I removed all of the lights and got a refund from the ebay seller. Then ordered what I should have ordered originally.

TLDR: Tried to save $20, I could dead? :laugh:

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I bought some rear LEDs from DDMtuning and they are as bright as my friends DeAutoKey at a third of the the price.
If you don't want to mess around go DeAutoKey. For me the prices are high plus the shipping to Canada kills it.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Gotten nothing but good LEDs from https://www.superbrightleds.com/

:thumbup:
Super Bright is showing Not Available on a lot of the bulbs and I see no packaging.

Also I love their paragraph long disclaimer at the top in bold.

Plus all things equal using DeAutoKey supports this site indirectly since they are a vendor here.

Without the vendors we would have constant spam/pop ups.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Super Bright is showing Not Available on a lot of the bulbs and I see no packaging.

Plus all things equal using DeAutoKey supports this site indirectly since they are a vendor here.

+1 DeAutoKey stands behind all they sell and do support the forums.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've always bought the ones from autozone. Pilot I think is the brand, built in resistors and no spots. Worked great on my 84 Jetta and my several rabbits, I just haven't coded the mk7 yet to install them
If they have built in resistors, why would you need to code? Resistors will negate the BOW.

To the topic, I've used a lot of different bulbs on my prior Subaru's and they were all blue-ish but they worked fine. Nowhere near the great color quality that DeAutoKey utilizes - theirs are literally the same color/brightness of some great OEM ones. They aren't cheap, but a lifetime warranty could pay for itself quickly :beer:

·
Vendor
22,407 Posts
Thanks for the post, we appreciate all the support and feedback. :thumbup:

We really work hard to bring only the best LEDs to market that look and perform great in your specific car model.

Our new front turns we recently launched is a perfect example, it took a lot of research and customer help to make a bright front turn!

For shipping overseas, we hate to say it, but it is expensive, we are only charging what the USPS charges us, and we always go for the lowest rate. All rates increased just 2 months ago:
http://announcements.ebay.com/2015/05/usps-to-change-rates-on-may-31/

·
Vendor
22,407 Posts
I've always bought the ones from autozone. Pilot I think is the brand, built in resistors and no spots. Worked great on my 84 Jetta and my several rabbits, I just haven't coded the mk7 yet to install them
If they have built in resistors, why would you need to code? Resistors will negate the BOW.

To the topic, I've used a lot of different bulbs on my prior Subaru's and they were all blue-ish but they worked fine. Nowhere near the great color quality that DeAutoKey utilizes - theirs are literally the same color/brightness of some great OEM ones. They aren't cheap, but a lifetime warranty could pay for itself quickly :beer:
Great question, I would be interested in seeing this, we never seen an error free and bright LED bulb in auto part stores, many sell them but they look like they are more for the non-canbus cars.

·
Vendor
22,407 Posts
Thank you again for this post - we had someone try to compare a few of our LEDs because they looked the "same" :)

There is only so many different molds - what matters is the material and LED diode that goes into the bulb during manufacturing!

·
Vendor
22,407 Posts
We want to bump this post as a reminder that LEDs can look similar but what matters is what goes inside the LED which will determine how it looks when installed and how it acts with your car.

We recently had our LEDs compared to another company because they looked similar. We guarantee you WILL NOT HAVE THIS ISSUE with our LEDs - we test our LEDs to avoid any problems like this:

·
Registered
1,849 Posts

I bought some bulbs from SuperBright, and the bulbs were OK, and they sent them in one of the USPS freebie Priority Mail boxes. Problem was they only paid for 1st class postage, meaning they arrived with postage due. They charged for Priority, and then tried to skim a couple more bucks out of the deal. I suspect they did that routinely hoping that the sleepy people at the post office wouldn't catch most of them.

I had to go to the post office to pay the difference and get the package. SuperBright refunded the difference, as they should have, but the experience left a bad taste in my mouth.

·
Vendor
22,407 Posts

Noting at all against SBL, they do have a wide variety of bulbs, from kitchen to automotive and I doubt their main focus is finding the best LED that works with your VW/Audi models, but as you can see deAuto only focuses on automotive LEDs for the euro VW/Audi and making them the best fit for your car while working perfectly.

I bought some bulbs from SuperBright, and the bulbs were OK, and they sent them in one of the USPS freebie Priority Mail boxes. Problem was they only paid for 1st class postage, meaning they arrived with postage due. They charged for Priority, and then tried to skim a couple more bucks out of the deal. I suspect they did that routinely hoping that the sleepy people at the post office wouldn't catch most of them.

I had to go to the post office to pay the difference and get the package. SuperBright refunded the difference, as they should have, but the experience left a bad taste in my mouth.
:(

We have Free Shipping on all our products so the price you see is the price you pay and you don't have to worry about high shipping and handling rates!

·
Vendor
22,407 Posts

·
Vendor
22,407 Posts
:thumbup: we have been testing a lot of ebay/amazon LEDs - we are still debating posting the results on a public forum but when we have customers who contact us asking questions about a product we did test the results will be shared with them.

arulsriram - we would be excited to see some side by side photos :)

Thanks again for the post!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
We recently had our LEDs compared to another company because they looked similar. We guarantee you WILL NOT HAVE THIS ISSUE with our LEDs - we test our LEDs to avoid any problems like this:
Mr deAutokey: Hi Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt whatsoever about the quality of your LEDs - but I am curious about the highlighted bit of your post (my highlighting).

What does this mean? Are you saying that you do a "Type Test" on your LEDs, or do you test each LED before it's sold? The former is (should be) normal practice in all manufacturing processes (the only thing that differs is the quantity tested per production-run), the latter is.. well.......... unusual, but it is certainly the hallmark of a quality supplier (depending on the answer to my next question). Or are you saying that you have tested one of each of the LEDs that you sell in a mk7 and that it operated OK?

My other question is -what kind of test is performed? Is it a light-up test, in which case the problems that initiated this thread wouldn't have been identified (clearly the fault was an I^2R problem caused by heating at the cap/LED junction which would have needed a light-up time commensurate with the thermal mass of the device to become evident).

Again, please don't take offense - I don't mean to be provocative in asking these questions, it's just that I want to understand deAuoKey's statement
Cheers
Don

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.