VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last Friday I was inflating my wife's car's tires to spec and one of the valve stems broke in two while I was putting the pump on it. It was rusted through. I got the valve stem replaced yesterday, and the shop guy told me that he sees them do that all the time, and that its important to keep the caps on so moisture doesn't collect in them. Well, I had bought the car without two of the caps and didn't think much of it, and the one that broke was one of those that didn't have a cap on it for who knows how long. :mad:

Anyway, I bought caps and subsequently put them on all of the wheels missing them on both of my cars (not like they're expensive). I then trained my wife's TPMS sensors, and in doing so you have to deflate the tires a bit. That went fine, but when I went to re-inflate all of them, the other valve stem that never had a cap broke -- white rust again. :(

Lesson learned! Put caps on um baby. :beer:

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
Hum.... I have never heard of this happening. I have run several cars with missing caps and never thought about it - and I live in Seattle so it isn't like I don't get a lot of moisture :confused:

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, 2 out of millions is hardly scientific evidence, but a set of caps was $2 at autozone. All I know is it was so lightly on that it could have come off on the highway and that could have been a pretty dangerous situation. I'm not taking the risk any longer for something so simple.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts