VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately on the tex people are becoming more and more interested about putting 16Vs in thier A1s.
I think people hear the word "SWAP" and they assume that they are facing a serious project. However this "SWAP" is no harder than taking your motor out and putting it right back in. If you have an assortment of sockets, a couple screwdrivers, a floorjack/jack stands and an engine puller then you should be ready to go.
FOR THE RECORD... YOU ONLY HAVE TO GIVE A SWITCHED 12V TO ONE BLACK WIRE Nothing else matters to get that 16V running. Make sure all your grounds are connected and the ECU only requires a switched 12V to run the motor. I will fight this statement to the grave.
So you can use your tranny, axles, all your motor mounts, your starter and not even move your fuel lines(if you use a Scirocco setup) and it just sits right in there.
So for all you contemplating putting this motor in...just do it.
Good luck,
Jason

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Re: Let me just try to sum up a 16V swap for everyone... (vdubspeed)

Quote, originally posted by vdubspeed »

FOR THE RECORD... YOU ONLY HAVE TO GIVE A SWITCHED 12V TO ONE BLACK WIRE Nothing else matters to get that 16V running. Make sure all your grounds are connected and the ECU only requires a switched 12V to run the motor. I will fight this statement to the grave.

Jason

could you explain that statment please, i dont really understand what your are saying and some clarification would be awesome because i have everything needed for a 16v swap all lined up. Thanks man, maby i'm slow or something but that didn't make any sence to me.

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Let me just try to sum up a 16V swap for everyone... (Legacy)

No problem...
I assume you are using a Scirocco engine harness. Coming from your ECU you will have three plugs. 2 are for 3 wires and one is for 2. It really doesn't matter though. Look for the SOLID black wire. That wire needs a switched 12V from your ignition. I just ran a wire to my fuse panel and stole a plug from where my seatbelt relay used to be. I put a 3amp fuse inline just to be save. My fuel pump still primes for a short period just like normal too!
The other two plugs are for your AC idle and 02 heater. I don't have ANY of these hooked up and my cars runs PERFECT. Remember your oil pressure sender, cold start and a couple other things are from your car harness.
So basically look for the three plugs. Find the plug with the solid black wire. Give that wire a switched 12V. If that's still not clear enough please let me know. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Respectfully,
Jason

·
Registered
1,267 Posts

who needs an engine puller? not me, pulled my engine out from the bottom yesterday with a jack and jack stands

sorry for the post hijack

·
Registered
1,572 Posts

-with my 16v swap i don't need a cat and didn't plan on running one on my 1980 scirocco. since the 02 is in the 16v cats, can i just run no oxygen sensor or is the thing gonna run all sh!tty?
-i think the hardest part with the wiring for me was 1)my labeling of wires kept getting all crapped up to the point that i couldn't read what the labels said. 2) splices that were made ended up having to be traced to find what they were and how they tied in again. 3) knowing which wires just simply aren't used at all (there seems to be alot)!

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Re: (VOLK)

just to add to this thread... digifant 1 turbo cars arent very hard to built either. Its a matter of about 6 wires and the right assembly of parts that go together. It just costs a little more than a 16v

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Re: (GTI Lowen)

I think for most people (myself included) the most intimidating part of swaping the engine or doing anything where you're taking a major part of the engine out of the engine bay is first wiring because most people leave electronics alone and just assume that it will do its job. The second thing as I see it is the actual weight of the engine and the mounts. The front and rear ones are obvious just by looking at them but the side ones intimidate those of us who haven't dealt with them.
Right now I'm contemplating putting in a 2L 8v Crossflow setup but am just intimidated because I dont' want to break anything because my car is good as it is... but I always want more

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (JoshGarman)

two new things mentioned...
1)carb car to 16V. This is a whole new animal. You will need a new gas tank, fuel lines, fuel pump, all the relays that work that crap and tons of unmentioned wires. So why not do a 16V on carbs! It would be uber-easier and you wouldn't have to worry about CIS-E leaning you out of 5K.
2)Diesel to 16V. This is just like the carb guy. Your tank and pump are completely different. Why not just keep your diesel and got TDI. You could do a turbo 8v to with an old kit from BAE.
So I guess my original post pertains to cars that already have CIS.
Someone mentioned about not using their O2. The wires you leave unplugged are for the 02 heater NOT the O2. The 02 sensor is CRITICAL in CIS-E and CIS because it's the ECUs main contributor. If you unplug it, your ECU will go into a default mode. That's going to be a mixture of 50/50. That's cool SOME of the time but not ALL the time. You don't have to splice anything to keep your 02 sensor working. Just make sure you know what wires go to where from the ECU...(labeling!)
I think this post maybe working http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Jason

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Re: (vdubspeed)

A rabbit diesel fuel tank is the exact same as the Fuel Injection gas rabbit fuel tank. Same goes for the Caddy. The diesel and fuel injection tanks are the same tank. I have done the diesel to gas swap in my 82 rabbit and I have a diesel tank in my gas caddy right now also and there is no difference.

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
Re: (GTIZRX)

Ok So I've got my 16v rocco motor sitting on the stand...I've got the harness plugged into the 3 boxes that came with the setup...NOTHING is wired into the chassis yet. I just need to hook up 1 black wire on ONE of the harnesses and the car should fire right up?

·
Registered
626 Posts

thanks to all...im gonna 16v my rabbit...im going to spray the engine bay today...i might just get a 1.8 16v from a 89 jetta or if i patiently wait get a 2l 16v from a passat...its up to me...which should i go with? thanks http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
i want to do a 16v swap but i cant decide what engine to use the 1.8 or the 2.0 i know the 2.0 has more horsepower but is it any heavier if so by how much.ANd dont they make more proformance parts for the 1.8 or r the parts interchangable

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Re: (soon2bGTI)

Quote, originally posted by soon2bGTI »
i want to do a 16v swap but i cant decide what engine to use the 1.8 or the 2.0 i know the 2.0 has more horsepower but is it any heavier if so by how much.ANd dont they make more proformance parts for the 1.8 or r the parts interchangable

Totally interchangeable except for pistons and crank. You can even mix and match heads. Apparently 2.0 head on a 1.8 block is great for giving back some low end torque, whereas 1.8 head on 2.0 block (which is what most people do) gives some extra top-end. VW got the port sizes all back-asswards.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.