VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Serpetine conversion is done. It's on a 1.8 8v, no AC, no PS. Pretty easy conversion for the most part, the only problems were the lower alternator bolt and the radiator.
The lower alternator bolt couldn't go in because the frame rail was in the way, so I undid the passenger motor mount bolt and jacked the motor up about another inch so the bolt head could clear the frame rail.
The radiator was a problem because I converted to a new MKII radiator with the passat dual fan setup, and the alternator wouldn't clear the fan housing due to the forward location of the alternator. So I removed the second (passive) fan and notched the fan housing to clear the alternator.
So far it seems to be worth it. It's quieter, the serp belt takes less then a minute to change, and I gained a half a volt over the 90amp that was in there before. The only concern I have right now is that the upper radiator hose lightly rests on the alternator housing because of the longer radiator. I don't think this will be a problem in the long run, but you never know....
If anyone wants a parts list and a more detailed install procedure, just let me know.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Re: Let me show you my....serpentine (vlksdragon)

I am happy with my V belt set up. I can change the belt by loosening one 13mm bolt. Why would somone want to do this conversion? The only reasons I can see are:
1. newer alternator looks cooler than the OEM rabbit one.
2. clearance for x flow or 16v on ITB or short runner intake.

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
That option is the best if you want junkyard stuff. I can find those brackets relatively easy. And parts are still available, too (pulley wheel). If you want more clearance, you can use the alt bracket from the rare US non AC cars (mk3 and cabrio). Same as what is used on ABF motor. Peter Tong uses the ABF bracket on his supercharger kits. It uses a specific alternator, but the bracket can be machined just a little to fit the common mk3 alternator.
I think if you put the abf bracket on there, you would get enough clearance for your awesome dual fan set up

·
Registered
21,256 Posts
Re: Let me show you my....serpentine (dbreid)

Quote, originally posted by dbreid »
Parts list, please.

i can help for everything needed on a 16v.. im sure 8v is the same.. just no spacing needed.
-any mk3 ABA alt. bracket (99.9% you'll find in the junkyard will be a/c cars anyway)
-either order/find a ABA non-a/c waterpump pulley or a stock VR6 pulley, both are the same and fit fine (like $20 bucks new at the dealer)
-any ABA alt. some models came w/ a 110amp alt.(VR's too, i believe they fit IIRC) but the 90amp works fine for me..
-any ABA crank pulley (even has the stock TDC notch in it so timing marks are correct even on 16v's too!)
-as for a belt, i just measure the distance w/ a string and go to the autoparts store and ask for a 5pk/5 rib serp belt in that length.. most places have a belt measurer.
oh also i get the bolts/nuts that hold the waterpump and the alt. bracket on
as for mods needed to mount this..
for 8v the only real mod would just be the bolt that holds the roller on the tensioner arm has too tall of a head and hits the frame rail.. therefore i have found using a flat head allen bolt works and just barely fits.. just tough to find as flat head allens in metric sizes are not common in like Home Depots..
also like mentioned the lower bolt for the bracket is tough to get in as it hits the frame rail, for me i just take all of the nuts off of the bracket that hold it to the waterpump and i then can wiggle the bolt out.
Now on 16v's it is a little more modding, but i have it figured out now that it can be done w/ no mods to the waterneck or crank pulley as previously mentioned on other threads. (now machining the crank pulley is the nicest way to do it if you can figure out the locating pin hole issue)
-use all the same parts on a 16v except you need to find the (IIRC) early MK3 tensioner it is held on the right side of the bracket by 3 allens (1 in the middle and 2 on each side of it). the early tensioners are self contained and about an inch or more thinner than the later mk3 tensioners that are a 2 piece unit that rotates on the outside and hits the waterneck on a stock 16v (also a ABF waterneck will remedy this but im all for budget mods i can easily get parts for if say the waterneck cracks or breaks)
-also on the 16v block there isnt a hole drilled in the block for the upper right hand bolt that holds the bracket on the ABA block, but there is 3 other bolts and i found that to be plenty.
-Lastly on the 16v's you can either have the crank pulley machined (due to the extra width of the 16v timing belt throws of the ABA timing gear and puts it out further than the stock v-belt pulley) or you can simply just space the Waterpump pulley out, i have found the easiest way is to get longer bolts that hold the pulley on the pump (the stock 16v waterpump pulley bolts work perfectly due to them having 2 pulleys mounted originally) and putting spacers behind the pulley in between the pulley and the hub of the waterpump. i usually use like 3/8" nuts and it spaces it out perfectly to line up w/ the alt. and crank pulley. also you could use washers but they tend to interfere w/ the hub of the waterpump so nuts work best for me.
I had this setup on my mk1 rocco w/ a 2L 16v and it has worked great for about a year, alt. charged fine and no cooling issues (other than me using a used waterpump i had laying around that turned out to be bad
) above is the cheap way to do it, but if you have the cash nothing beats the ABF stuff since it sits so low and is so simple.

let me know if any of this didnt make sense!
-Matt

Modified by saddest6day66 at 9:13 PM 2-24-2007

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Let me show you my....serpentine (dbreid)

Quote, originally posted by dbreid »
Parts list, please.

here you go Dan:
MKIII 2.0 alternator (make sure you get the exciter wire connector too)
MKIII 2.0 alternator bracket/tensioner (you *must* get the shoulder bolts that the bracket mounts to)
MKIII VR6 waterpump pulley
MKIII ABA crank pulley (make sure you get the bolts for this too!)
6pk-1035 serp belt, although I used a 1040 and it works fine
This is for a 1.8 8v. A 16v has slightly different requirements, such as machining of the crank pulley. I also had to space the waterpump pulley out just slightly with washers in order for it to line up.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Re: Let me show you my....serpentine (vlksdragon)

way to go man... i've go the same set-up on mine and i love the clean look. Thanks for the great write-up and follow-up posts this saves me from doing it

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (fast84gti)

Quote, originally posted by fast84gti »
If you want more clearance, you can use the alt bracket from the rare US non AC cars (mk3 and cabrio). Same as what is used on ABF motor. I think if you put the abf bracket on there, you would get enough clearance for your awesome dual fan set up

I thought the non-AC US bracket was different than the ABF bracket?
Does the ABF bracket actually sit the alternator closer to the block? I've actually got an ABF bracket and spring on the way, but I'm not looking forward to sourcing the alternator for that setup...

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
Re: (VWralley)

Get a part number for the ABF one, and I can find out..
I think they are the same. The new etka lets me look up cars from all markets now. So I will see what I can find out. I was told they are the same. Look the same, too..

·
Registered
21,256 Posts
contact dave @ oldskool i hear has a source for both the OEM bosch ABF alts. and some cheaper aftermarket alts. to fit the ABF bracket. this most def. the cleanest best setup IMO, im just on a budget at all times and next to free from the U-pull it is much better haha
*edit for my bad memory

Modified by saddest6day66 at 2:30 PM 2-26-2007

·
Registered
8,851 Posts

I just varified that the non ac bracket is the same as the abf.
Part number 028 903 143 ad
So, if US cars used it, then the alt is not that hard to find

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
The US no ac bracket has the spring thingy, too. It's the same. I have seen it. it's very rare in US, but it is around...

·
Registered
21,256 Posts

Quote, originally posted by fast84gti »
I just varified that the non ac bracket is the same as the abf.
Part number 028 903 143 ad
So, if US cars used it, then the alt is not that hard to find

hmm... i could have sworn the brackets i had seen from the earlier mk3's for non a/c were different and still had the tensioner arm.. sorry for the bad info!
can we still get these brackets and springs in the U.S.? care to post a pic of the non a/c one from etka?
thanks!
Matt

Modified by saddest6day66 at 2:33 PM 2-26-2007

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
Re: (saddest6day66)

good advice i have been given about that bolt that wont clear the frame rail.
drill out the threaded side of the mounting bracket, put a slightly longer bolt through the hole facing the opposite direction of the original bolt (head towards driver side threads towards pass side) and put a nut on the pass side of the bolt this way you dont have to jack up the motor every time you want to remove the bolt http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 246 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.