VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a passat variant but test drove a 1999 A-4 avant wagon w/stick and loved it ... except that when I let off the accelerator (moderately strong acceleration situation) the car experienced a severe jerk like there was slack in the drive line. I found a very mild case of this when test driving suburu outbacks. I know nothing about audi so I have no background on this. The car had 60K miles. Can anybody offer thoughts as to whether this is normal or fixable?? Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
Re: Let off accelerator & car jerks, is this normal - 99' avant A-4 (wishen4a1.8T)

Is the car a 1.8T? If it is I wonder if the car has an aftermarket chip because I have heard that some chips can cause that "on/off" boost feel. Did you hit the accelerator hard and let of quick when this happened? I have heard that this can be caused by the internal wastegates in ability to deal with the sudden exposure to quick boost release. A good chip will back boost off over a time period and not "slam" the wastegate.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Re: Let off accelerator & car jerks, is this normal - 99' avant A-4 (wishen4a1.8T)

Mine does the same thing 97 A4 quattro 1.8t with no chip. I have been told it is most likely the motor/tranny mounts. Im going in on the 14th to have it fixed. I will update when i know the cost.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Re: Let off accelerator & car jerks, is this normal - 99' avant A-4 (A418t97)

FYI..
My car did that the day before my transmission blew.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Re: Let off accelerator & car jerks, is this normal - 99' avant A-4 (Subtle)

quote:[HR][/HR]FYI..
My car did that the day before my transmission blew.[HR][/HR]​
That's not very reassuring.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
Re: Let off accelerator & car jerks, is this normal - 99' avant A-4 (risc427)

Sounds like what you are describing is the "driveline slack" you mentioned before. Mine does that to a small extent. Every quattro car I've driven has done it too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Let off accelerator & car jerks, is this normal - 99' avant A-4 (4Rings)

Yes, it is a 1.8t. And I was not gunning the engine, just mild acceleration that resulted in a severe kickback. Kale's explanation sounds very possible. I guess I'll just have to drive another for comparison. Thanks for your input and any updates.

·
Registered
116 Posts

Unfourtanetly, that engine bucking is very normal on the 1.8T. You will feel it mostly in 1st and 2nd gear.
A lot of ppl get the $50 front snub mount from APR to cure most of this problem.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Re: Let off accelerator & car jerks, is this normal - 99' avant A-4 (illbill)

Yeah mine did it in every gear, and it was very severe. Almost like I was driving an automatic and it was shifting incorrectly or something, so my experience probably doesnt apply here.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Re: Let off accelerator & car jerks, is this normal - 99' avant A-4 (Subtle)

I experienced some mild "bucking" in my stock car but, since the application of multiple mods it does not occur as significantly. Heck, any car running retaded boost is gonna feel kinda jerky, like a pit bull on a leash...........just not meant to be.

·
Registered
818 Posts

Actually, It's funny, every quattro I have ever owned does this, oddly enough, it just takes a slight adaptation in driving style. In first and second gears, it is necessary to push the clutch in at about the same time you are letting off the throttle to shift, in most other cars you can get away with activating the clutch a little later (reducing throttle, then activating the clutch).
a friend of mine who moved from a Passat to an S4 was surprised to learn this on his first spirited launch, but it is quite common, and sometimes, once you are used to it, makes it a little challenging to switch back and forth between quattro and non quattro cars.
Also, AWE makes a sweet driveline stabilizer that may alleviate this quirk.

[Modified by spcycle, 6:19 AM 2-3-2003]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jerking problems

Hello again

- A418t97
”Mine does the same thing 97 A4 quattro 1.8t with no chip. I have been told it is most likely the motor/tranny mounts. Im going in on the 14th to have it fixed. I will update when i know the cost.”

Did you find the problem with the jerking.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Hello again

- A418t97
”Mine does the same thing 97 A4 quattro 1.8t with no chip. I have been told it is most likely the motor/tranny mounts. Im going in on the 14th to have it fixed. I will update when i know the cost.”

Did you find the problem with the jerking.
This post is from 2003, I don't think he'll be responding... But to answer your question, it could be motor mounts, trans mounts, rear diff mount, or a host of other things. A lot of manual cars tend to have a little bit of "jerking" when you let off the throttle, particularly at lower speeds.

Also fun fact, this might be the oldest post I've seen on the B5 forums

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been looking for a passat variant but test drove a 1999 A-4 avant wagon w/stick and loved it ... except that when I let off the accelerator (moderately strong acceleration situation) the car experienced a severe jerk like there was slack in the drive line. I found a very mild case of this when test driving suburu outbacks. I know nothing about audi so I have no background on this. The car had 60K miles. Can anybody offer thoughts as to whether this is normal or fixable?? Thanks
I have ever owned does this, oddly enough, it just takes a slight adaptation in driving style. In first and second gears, it is necessary to push the clutch in at about the same time you are letting off the throttle to shift, in most other cars you can get away with activating the clutch a little later reducing throttle, then activating the clutch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts