VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was inspired by Trav's web page: Find a nice long flat section of road. Hold 35 steady in 3rd gear, then go WOT. Start the stopwatch when you hit 40 - time until you hit 70. Do at least 3 runs for a good average. Let's expand this though, I would also like times from 40-60 and 50-70. My 40-70 times sucked compared to Trav's, I wanna get some others for comparison. 8v, 16v, whatever, the more the merrier and more interesting it should be. Include applicable mods and wheel sizes with your times. Now get out there!

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Re: Let's do some roll-on testing! (SpeedyD)

good idea. itd be better with a vid camera that shows time. that way you can get almost exact results and you dont have to watch yourself unless you dont have someone to film.
ill do it sometime this week.

[Modified by eastcoastdubs, 1:12 PM 12-31-2001]

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Let's do some roll-on testing! (2035cc16v)

quote:[HR][/HR]16vs will own in this area...
[HR][/HR]​
Yours might - but I bet mine won't. Anyways, that's what I wanna find out. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Re: Let's do some roll-on testing! (ottawanker)

quote:[HR][/HR]i dont think my car will do 70 mph in third, unless its at like 8000 RPMs.. at 40 im doing 3500 or 4000 RPMs..
[HR][/HR]​
I would think some of the 16v guys (or gals
) with aggressive cams would really walk away if it was to 85mph+ rather than 70.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Re: Let's do some roll-on testing! (88Jetta)

edited for Trav, till he tells me I can move in for the kill

[Modified by Blitz16v, 3:24 PM 12-31-2001]

·
Registered
977 Posts
Chris- Excellent times! You're right on par with stock VR6 Corrado's http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Thank you to SpeedyD, ChrisL , and Blitz16v (and the rest of the contributors)for being true car enthusiasts and realizing the value of this testing. You guys will receive the entire database complete with averages and mods. I'm proud to see that there are VW owners who are more concerned with performance rather than clear markers, ride height, and subwoofers.
IMHO, the dyno doesn't tell the whole story - it doesn't take into account vehicle weight, unsprung weight, tire diameter, and gearing's effects on acceleration. That's why it's so important to get a solid baseline on your car.
>This test is gonna be more dependant on gearing than anything else, wouldn't it??
decentdub- You are correct, gearing is everything. But the database was intended to compare the 16v model. BTW, the fastest car in the database has a 3.90 R&P. I highly expect the A2 conversion guys to be absent from this thread.
We're begining to see from the database which parts are winners and which are loosers. Don't believe what you read on the Vortex - "head A is better then head B", "this part is better than that part", it's all BS until it's timed!
BTW, if you'd rather IM or e-mail your results, you'll receive the entire database.
If you're interested, here's the description to the test:
http://www.geocities.com/vwquattroport/Roll-on.html

·
Registered
446 Posts
Re: Let's do some roll-on testing! (Trav)

if my car ran i would time it...how long are you gonna do this for? it might be running in a couple of weeks (gotta get a day off work to go pick up parts in new hampshire)
BTW:i have an 8v crossflow...is this just for 16vers??

·
Registered
977 Posts
Re: Let's do some roll-on testing! (Andrew Foss)

Andrew- Your time would be most welcome. I'd love to see what an x-flow does (I'd also like to see how the xflow compares to the normal 8v). This thing will not end, as some who aren't interested now may be in the future.
I'd like to reiterate that this is not a d*ck measuring contest (in fact, all database entries are listed anonymously). You can IM or e-mail.
Take care http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
818 Posts
Re: Let's do some roll-on testing! (Andrew Foss)

i will do mine for ya next time i am in it
16v with 40mm sk racing carbs header gutted cat 2.5" exaust with a hooker tip ....on 16 x7.5 adr rims yoko 40 series rubber and a 2y tranny oh its a four door too

1 - 20 of 177 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.