Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 782 Posts

·
Registered
16,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update

So this thread has taken some pretty hilarious twists and turns. What follows is a brief summary for those interested:

1) I take my Elise out for a drive.
2) Some idiot rear-ends my car with his blinged out late-1990's Mustang, and pushes me into the car in front of me.
3) Idiot is the only driver cited in the accident.
4) Idiot's insurance (Allstate) accepts liability.
5) As I am about to settle with Allstate, the tell me that Idiot's policy limit was only $25,000.00
6) I file claim with my own insurance company (GEICO)
7) GEICO take forever to adjust the claim, etc.
8) In the meantime, I decide that I want an S52 M Roadster for a number of reasons.
9) I locate a low mileage S52 M Roadster at a BMW dealership in the exact color combo I was looking for. It was originally listed for $15,800.00
10) I call and the first question I ask is whether the car has ever had any frame damage. The salesman says, "No," and that BMW dealerships are not allowed to sell cars that have had frame damge. I make an offer of $13,000 (subject to a PPI), and the salesman immediately accepts. I was told that the car was in an accident, but promised there was no frame damage. Carfax supports this story.
11) PPI (independent certified BMW mechanic) comes back clean. Compression test was great. Rear subframe was great. The mechanic mentions stone chips on the front bumper, but I expected that anyway. Mehcanic mentions broken glove compartment.
12) I call salesman, tell him to fix the glove box, he agees, and I pay (primarily with my Amex card).
13) I have a transport company pick the car up and drop it off at my house.
14) M Roadster arrives the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Before the car is taken off the transport, I immediatly notice that the "stone chips" are covered in mis-matched and poorly applied touchup paint. Then I notice that the front bumper is crooked, and that the glove compartment is broken. Then I pop the hood and notice a crappy looking weld by the driver's side shock tower.
15) I call BMW dealership, and they refuse to help with anything.
16) I call body shop and make appointment to have frame measured.
17) GEICO finally gets back to me and we finally agree on a value for the Lotus.
18) GEICO still has not gotten me a contract to sign, but they want my car out of the body shop (which charges a daily storage fee), so I tell them to tow the car to my house.
19) I reach a buy-back agreement with GEICO for the salvaged Lotus.
20) The owner of a well-known Lotus racing/tuning shop contacts me to buy the Lotus, so I get a deal wherein I will sell the Lotus to the shop, which will turn my old Lotus into a Lotus Cup Car. They will let me "help shake the car down" at a local race track when it's done (as part of the deal).
21) Lotus arrives at my house yesterday.
22) I dispute charges with Amex.
23) Today I get the results from the body shop which indicate that the frame on the car is slightly bent where accdent occurred.
24) Status (as of 12/11/2013): I have a salvaged Lotus and a frame-bent M Roadster in my driveway, and still no check from GEICO.

:mad:

So this morning was my first time out of the house without the baby, the wife, or work bogging me down in nearly one month. I was so excited. I jumped in the Elise, fired her up, and went for a drive.

Long story short, I stopped at a stop light behind a white Chevy Cobalt. I stopped a little fast (so did the Cobalt), but it was nothing extreme. About 1 second later I looked into the rearview and remember thinking "holy sh** he's not going to stop . . ."

BAM. CRACK. SCREECH. BAM. CRACK.

This guy, in his blinged out Mustang, rearended me at (I think) about 15-20MPH, which in turn pushed my little Elise into (kind of underneath) the Cobalt in front of me.

Here is the culprit. Please, no comments that will get this thread locked:

The guy in front of me, a car guy himself (he knew all about my Elise -- no idea why he was driving a Cobalt if he's a car guy), had almost zero damage from my car being pushed under it:

What happened to my car, you ask? Well, for those that don't know, the Elise has to main body pieces -- the front clam and the back clam. They are very lightweight and fiberglass. If they crack, they need to be completely replaced, and are very, very expensive. I present to you, a destroyed Elise from a low-speed crash:

Here is the tow guy literrally bending the destroyed rear splittler with a piece of wood so that the car would fit on the flat bad.

And here is the car on the flat bad -- from the side it looks like nothing is wrong.

SHe's most likely totaled. New clamshells are about $14,000 for both, before painting, etc., from what I understand. The expensive Larini Racing exhaust is destroyed, as is the rear splitter and much of the underbody panels. The rear trunk cover is destroyed, as is one of the front HID headlights. There might be more damage that I am not aware of.

My guess is that this will be totaled. Thoughts?

If it is totaled, it will unlease another wave of "What car should I buy" posts from me, which may officially make some of you resign from these forums in disgust. I apologize in advance.

The good part is that I am jsut fine. My head snapped back and forth, but no pain yet. We'll see how I feel tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
14,960 Posts
Dude that totally sucks. I'd be willing to bet its not totaled though. Hope insurance works out though.

And because your head whipped back and forth...

:)

Chris

·
Banned
9,704 Posts
I was pretty close to buying a totaled elise from an insurance auction. It was hit much harder than that though; yours looks much easier to repair.

The clams are like 6k a pop.

·
Registered
21,177 Posts
It is almost certainly done unless your insurance company has a high total threshhold.
Clams, plus paint, plus a bunch of other random ****, if it is less than $20k, I'd worry about the shop cutting corners.

·
Registered
23,263 Posts
Due to the Elise's replacement value (what they would cut a check for), even if it was a $20k repair I'm not sure they would total it out.

If so though, ****ty way for a great car to go. Love the color too!

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, but glad you're ok!

As an Else enthusiast though, it may be able to be repaired... and of course it will be expensive. I would make sure it gets to the nearest Lotus dealer to get a proper quote though (I would not trust the insurance companies appraiser), and then see what his and/or your insurance will do (assuming the Mustang owner does have insurance!). Either way, good luck :beer::beer::banghead::(

·
Registered
13,824 Posts
I wouldn't post how you're presently feeling on a message board, but that's just me and it's too late now.

Probably totaled. What bolt pattern are the wheels? :laugh:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
No big deal. Just drive it without a body :laugh:

That really sucks. Was fault admitted? Is his insurance company cooperating so far?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Tough to say. $14k seems really high to me for front and rear clams. Exhaust = $800, headlight = $1000, etc, etc. Hopefully it's cosmetic. If that's the case, I'd say it's an easy - albeit expensive -fix. Otherwise, damage underneath will add up very fast and likely take the car into totaled territory.

·
Registered
49,370 Posts
Man, I'm really sorry to see this. It's a sad day for gearheads when a car like that gets thrashed, never mind for you. :(

As you said, the good news is that you're not hurt. All else is easily replaced. (The exception to this rule would have to be something like a Duesenberg or Ruxton.) That doesn't make much of a consolation prize, though.

I am wondering if he'd have been able to stop had he not had so much rotating mass and too little mechanical advantage caused by the huge wheels. I doubt there's a law against it anywhere since it's such a technical issue, so I doubt there's any legal ramifications other than the standard citations/culpability.

Dude that totally sucks. I'd be willing to bet its not totaled though. Hope insurance works out though.

And because your head whipped back and forth...

:)
Not to muck up a bummer of a thread, but you're doing it wrong...

:wave:

·
Registered
16,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To answer some questions:

1) He did have insurance. No idea what his limits are, though. I have ultra high limit insurance, even for un/underinsured motorists, so somehow this thing will get fixed or paid out on.

2) The cop only cited him. Not either of us. I was a bit worried because I did technically rear end the Cobalt, even though I was pushed into it.

3) We currently dropped it off at a good local body shop. We'll see what they say on Tuesday.

Thanks for the support! It is just a car, but I did love it!

·
Registered
398 Posts
The way the price of clams for these cars have gone, it is probably getting close at current market values.

It is a shame really, because an accident like that takes full advantage of the easiest to replace parts on the car. Rear clamshell, probably a rear subframe due to the exhaust getting mashed into it, front clamshell, all bolt-on bolt-off parts on the Elise. On any other car, you are fixing unibody which is a ****ty job.

Now, I've seen these cars (specifically an Exige) get totaled when the only external damage was a front wheel cocked slightly back in the wheel well. Which happened to rip the suspension mounting point out of the tub, which automatically totals the car. Oh well.

Good thing is that if they do fix it, it will literally be better than new, because Lotus paint is garbage. :laugh:

1 - 20 of 782 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.