VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
A chili pepper and an empty crate.
8,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...what are you buying?

Just a hypothetical inspired by the M3 wagon thread. We always talk about how Europe gets all the good stuff...but after spending some time at the following sites I feel like that might be a passing era.

https://www.bmw.de/de/home.html
Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG - Porsche Deutschland
Modelle, Aktionen, Angebote | Audi Deutschland
Startseite | Volkswagen Deutschland

If you don't know German you can use the translator in some browsers, but you might not even care to as stuff like 'A4' doesn't need a translation and the buttons mostly do what you'd expect. I can't say I'm finding a lot of unique stuff, either we've reached some sort of import parity, things have gotten less diverse as the planet switches to CUVS, or I've just plain gotten more jaded to the differences.

One of my first thoughts was a 2-door RS3 hatch. Nope, no longer exists even there. The 4-dr hatch is cool but not that far off the sedan we get.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Car

The aforementioned M3 wagon is incredible...but the grill is a deal breaker to me regardless of what continent I'm on. And all the other (numerous!) BMWs they don't bring here have good reason. None of us want the 2-series minivan. I don't even think people in Europe want the 2-series minivan.
BMW M3 Competition Touring G81 BMW Individual Frozen Black metallic Dreiviertel Frontansicht fahrend

Porsche, to their credit, brings everything they've got here too.
Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car

Ah, well, VW has plenty of Euro specific models. Certainly there's something there for me right? I've always liked the hot B-segment stuff that we haven't seen since Fiesta ST. How about a Polo GTI? That looks really fun, almost like a MK4 GTI today. I built one out and was already ready to lock it in as my choice...until I realized...I never selected the "7-Gang" DSG. It's the only option. I'm not even an MT purist but in a 200hp B-segment hot hatch? Deal breaker.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Car

So despite my search there's not a lot of forbidden fruit with new cars over there right now. But oh well, that's OK, there's something on the used market that has been my go-to forbidden fruit for over a decade now. :D:D:D
VW Scirocco R Driven: The 280hp Unsung Hero Is Still Around | Carscoops

So, TCL, what Forbidden Fruit would you buy?

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
28,741 Posts
Alpine 110? What sort of weird British sports cars can I get that I can't get here? Can I get a Morgan in the US? I probably would go for one of the newer exige/Elise models. Seat and Skoda have interesting looking golf derivatives as well.

The real forbidden fruit for me was from say 1985 through 1995. If I was going that route it would be a weekend car only.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
618 Posts
My stable would like: either a VW Arteon, or Peugeot 508, or Renault Talisman, or used Citroen C6 or Alfa Romeo 159 for the four-door car, a VW Touareg, or Peugeot 5008 for the obligatory SUV, and an Alpine A110, or used Peugeot RCZ or VW Scirocco for a sporty car. That's for somewhat modern stuff. For classic stuff, there's too many to list.

Please excuse me while I go cry in the fetal position.

·
I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!!
44,321 Posts
On my list is probably a Clio V6, or an Alpine A110.

Alpine 110? What sort of weird British sports cars can I get that I can't get here? Can I get a Morgan in the US? I probably would go for one of the newer exige/Elise models. Seat and Skoda have interesting looking golf derivatives as well.

The real forbidden fruit for me was from say 1985 through 1995. If I was going that route it would be a weekend car only.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
You can definitely get a Morgan here, my neighbor just got one of these. It’s a 2013 with a little over 200 miles on it. Can’t wait to get a ride in it.

Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Vehicle

·
Registered
1994 Bmw 540i Touring, 1974 Bmw 2500
3,938 Posts
In this part of Europe I live in I think only Peugeouts and Skodas are commonly seen out of the stuff you don't get in the Usa. Things like the Suzuki Jimny and the Alpine A110 aren't available here either.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
For recent models any of these will do: M3 touring, RS4 avant, RS3 sportback, Yaris GR, A45 hatch, i20/i30N, Megane RS... so basically all the wagons and all the hatches. Even the entry level hatches, hot or not.

Leon Sportstourer looks interesting

·
Registered
2009 BMW 328i, 2017 Acura MDX
4,485 Posts
I went to Italy in 2018, and the cars I was most jealous of were the wagon versions of the 5-series BMWs and Audi A6's. I also saw several Corolla Hybrid wagons being used as Taxis in Milan, that's a nice looking car and a shame that its not available in the US.

·
Registered
13,129 Posts
Depends on where I was living, my budget, my parking and commuting situation, the overall balance of my household fleet, etc. Really no different than how I would shop for a car here in the USA.

In places like Italy, it’s bad to stand out because then you’ll be a target of government agents and organized criminals alike. So I’d probably drive a newish Fiat Panda or 500XL, have a Vespa for when it’s just me, and possibly an Alfa Spider S4 or Fiat Barcheta for the weekend.

If I was living in Germany, I’d be shopping for a Ruf of some kind because it’s always been a dream car and their road networks are in generally much better shape so as to make sports car ownership a reasonable proposition. If I was looking for an ordinary family car, then it would likely be a used Audi S6 Avant.

If I was living in UK, then I’d want a TVR Sagaris for the weekend toy, an antique of some kind (Morgan? Jaguar?) for classic events, a Toyota GR Yaris for daily and RAV4 Plug-In Hybrid for the family duties.

·
Registered
36,623 Posts
In this part of Europe I live in I think only Peugeouts and Skodas are commonly seen out of the stuff you don't get in the Usa. Things like the Suzuki Jimny and the Alpine A110 aren't available here either.
OK, so you raised an interesting option. So if I'm living anywhere in Europe, I'm going to suppose we're talking about Iceland where they have what are known as the F roads. A massive network of dirt roads that give you access to seeing parts of the country that aren't reachable by regular vehicle. And since Galrot mentioned the Jimny, I think that makes it the choice for me. Now sure, the F roads are only usable for 4 or 5 months of the year, but that's fine. It's all fantasy anyway, right?

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
A35/A45 AMG. Honorable mention for the RS3 hatch, I'd have to try them both back to back.
I want an Alpina but it would have to be a newer one and they are $$$

I said I'd buy an Artega GT if I ever moved to Germany but I wouldn't be able to part with the 911 to get it so I think it probably won't happen.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts