VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 40 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
I wanna try my hand at wiring the next time I try a Cobra. My big issue was the fitment among body/interior bucket/dashboard. I think I cut off some mounting points I shouldn't have and couldn't figure out how to fix it, so I robbed the wheels and engine for other projects lol.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well, I just spent about 20 min. in front of the hobby table, breaking out my VW bus and the car hauler trailer kit, both Revell and that's as far as I got. I just had my cast removed day before yesterday and have an orthopedic boot to lug around. I can at least put weight on it now though as I just found out, I can't stand for any length of time. At least not enough time to source parts and supplies to do any building. So frustrated.
I did source some BBS RSs from my kit-bash bin that fit nearly perfectly on the Bus's axles. I'll get a moch-up photo once my camera's battery charges.
Thanks for sharing your builds gang.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Nice work. Hey did you notice an issue w/the front suspension not aligning w/the wheel openings! I spent most of my 1st Gen build just trying to fix the front end.
Mine lined up fine, my rear axle seemed a bit low but oh well.

I had no issues with the tub and dash either, I cant recall any work I had to do specifically. I do a LOT of test fitting and tweaking on all my builds though.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I got a steal on a local Pocher Afla 2300C from the original owner. I have not built one in over a decade and this is my first with the dreaded wire wheels. I am going to tackle building the wheels first. My reward for building them will be a few upgrade transkits from eBay lol.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
No real major updates. My Achilles tendon is healing well but I can't be on my feet for more than a half hour to 45 min. (No stool/chair to sit on in the hobby garage.)
I did mess w/the VW bus a little to get the super RSs to fit. And washed my Race Car trailer so I can start building and painting.

I did get a white primer coat on the Yellow MKII above. I'm going to give that a mild sanding tomorrow and hopefully get it painted by the end of the weekend.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Just did a quick little mock-up of the Fujimi MKII w/the white primer base coat.
A shot of my [email protected]#! hobby table.

My original plan was to paint the car tan w/red interior and the wheel centers red as well, (I saw a very cool hot-rod rendering w/that color combo and wanted to step out of my gray-silver-blue comfort zone. But now seeing it white w/Tan interior I might be changing my mind.

And another shot of my 90% Finished MKII.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Got a couple light coats of Tamiya Tan on. For some reason it looks pink in the photos. (any advice on taking better photos w/an instant camera?) But you get the idea. Try to imagine it w/a black grill, bumpers, door handels, front/rear spoiler and I can't decide if the window trim will be black or chrome foil.

And my next project. A 1/24 Maisto Harley. I've got to do some planning first but I plan to customize this and a FatBoy.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
So I did a little more mock-up today and if anyone remembers, I wanted to do a Tan painted body w/red interior and wheel centers. I took some wheels I know I won't be using any time soon and painted the centers red. It just didn't look right. (I may still head that direction once the car is finished i.e. black grill, window trim, door handles, etc. so it may not look as drastic.) But I mocked-up these wheels/combos. let me know what you think.

I'm also going to get a couple more coast of tan on the body, color sand and clear.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
Wheel option #2! They look exactly like Keskin KT1's. :thumbup:

How is the healing going?

Thread content:
You inspired me to start a mini/test build for a shadow box display case. I have another idea in the works. :p Not exactly a car build, but close enough.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks buddy. The Achilles is healing up slowly. Trying not to go crazy. Hit the gym two days in a row working upper body so that helps a little.
Yeah, I love the 2nd wheel set also, but in person, something doesn't look right. The nice thing about the Fujimi curbside kit is it's straight axles so I can finish the build then try out a couple dozen wheel tire combos after words.
Nice work on the display. Looks like you need more VWs to fill it though..Ha.Ha.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
Good to hear! I think I see what you mean now that I examine the picture. It looks like the rear wheel almost bends in towards the passenger side of the car, while the front wheel looks straight. Possibly the fender space as well? The rear looks tighter on the wheel then the front.

I have a few more to fill in my display. I want to get everything buttoned up and fitted 100% so I can figure out what fits, and how I want it to sit (landscape or vertical), then I'll definitely be looking to even up with you. :thumbup::cool:

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
That's a quick mock-up so the rear axle I cut was too short. Once I'm done I'll have front and rear pushed as far out while still being "tucked" as I can. I don't know. I actually have a Revell 69 Z/28 convertible kit that I plan building "pro-touring" style so plan on using those wheels for that build.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Well, my Achilles Is healing up nicely if not slowly but I recieved a great phone call this a.m., I was offered a job and plan to accept. It's a major pay cut from my last job but it's substantially more than SDI and the benefits are great, plus there's a potential for bonuses and overtime.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
No major updates to the build. I did spend a little time shortening the roof-rack for the MKII

I'm trying to decide if I want to do a custom paint job on the board or just pick up some decals I found online. Time will tell.

21 - 40 of 117 Posts