VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Lookin great! Thats definately a tough call on the wheel/tire combos your looking at, they all have their ups and downs depending on the over-all look you want...

Been slackin on builds myself, my daughter was just born 2 weeks ago so thats consuming most of my life at the moment. Keep it up, Ill be watching :thumbup::)
Congratulations on your newborn..That's actually when I did most of my building. The 1st 14 months after my daughter was born, during her naps and sometimes when she was in the crib. (But once she starts walking forget about it...)

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
The Challenger is looking pretty awesome with the back-spoke 18"ers...what do the BBSs look like on the 'cuda?

oldskoolracer, nice builds...and congrats on your award-winning 612 :)

Did a quick mock-up of my current project, Fujimi's Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG...

Paint is just Testors white lacquer primer, with gloss clear lacquer topcoat. Wheels were tinted with Testors transparent black Window Tint spray over the kit satin chrome.
Thanks. Yeah the black five spokes will stay on the challenger. I haven't tried fitting the LMs on the convertable yet. Need to drop the rear first. Your AMG is looking good...

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
No major progress. I did work on a pro-touring hood for the Challenger. The kit comes with an extra
"open" hood for the super charged engine so I thought I'd use it to do a heat extractor style hood similar to
this one.

It's still in a rough mock-up condition but you can see where I'm going with it.

It's not exact but this should work. I got the donor hood section from a spare Shelby 1 kit.
Once I get some Tamiya puddy and sanding it should do the job.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I have a couple pans in the fire :)

This one, I started on the first page but decided to go a different direction. So I picked up another one

I just picked this one off eBay last week. The wheels I picked up a while ago because they resemble a set of ABTs is have for my actual car.

This one I started a while ago to look like a friends Vanagon. He sold the car and I lost interest. Really need to finish it though.

Detailed the engine a bit and added grey flocking for carpet

Detailed undercarriage

This one started as a stock promo I picked up at a toy show in PA. I lowered it and added Astro Supremes

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Pretty cool stuff going on in here :)

Got this one close enough to done...still needs a couple things here and there, like the high-mount brake light painted...

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I have a couple pans in the fire :)

I just picked this one off eBay last week. The wheels I picked up a while ago because they resemble a set of ABTs is have for my actual car.

[/URL]
Lucky....I found a Casual Model car e-store a while back that had 2 of those listed, one opened but complete for $15, and another, unopened for $18. I emailed him right away and he confirmed he still had both but it would take him a couple days to get me the shipping charges. A week goes by and I hit him up again for him to tell me they were still available but that he was busy and really didn't have time to get me shipping charges...WTF? Another week goes buy and they are sold all of a sudden. :banghead: Needless to say, I promptly deleted his site from my favorites list...

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Made a little progress. Sorry for the lousy cell photos...
Got the Shelby Series 1 hood section grafted in. I hit it w/Tamiya putty this a.m. I'll take more shots once it's sanded down.
Found more parts to the Viper Motor so not sure if I'll keep heading in that direction.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
I've got the putty laid down...Will sand/smooth later today...

And I got distracted and lowered my Bburogo MKIV apologies for the lousy photos..

Still needs work in the front. The over-sized hinges for the opening doors actually protrude into
the fender line so I have to grind them down. As much as I love having a 2dr MKIV, Bburogo did a
horrible job with the door gaps and shape.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
The wheels came in for the Bberogo MKIV. Scale design Speedline Cup wheels. The tires are beautiful
but a little beefy for what I'm after.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Got a little work done on the Challenger hood. Did some major sanding and I'm glad I decided to
spray on some primer to see the rough spots as I'm closer than I thought I was.

I'm got some pin-holes to fill then some fine sanding then I'll move onto the under side of the hood and clean that up.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Well, these mopar builds, that were to be quick fun, slam, wheels, paint, and assemble= happiness have now transmorgafied as always seems to
be the case with me, into something a bit more complicated. Yesterday while assembling the V10 for the Challenger, I started asking myself;
"Can I leave the stock suspension/chassis when I've got this cool hood and Viper V10 motor?" "NOPE!"

Done with the exception of shocks and swaybars.

But I just couldn't do it. Here is the belly pan and rear suspension from the same donor car as the hood, Shelby series 1. Rear transaxle,
independent suspension. I'll get the front grafted on tomorrow as the Series 1 has a shorter wheel base. It's actually going to be a lot simpler than
I expected. Photos to follow.
What about the Cuda? You ask? I have this idea of doing a Surf during the week days, pro-solo racer on the weekends themed build.. Roll-cage, slammed
w/racing style wheels/tires, surf board wedge between the roll-cage, racing bucket on the driver's side, stock, beat up seat on the passenger side...:rolleyes::sly::p

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Some slow progress. Got in a couple hours for father's day.

I trimmed the inner fender wells to make room for the Shelby Series 1 chassis. It's kind of
freaky how well it's all fitting together after a little trimming.

The front and rear mocked up to see how much to cut the second donor chassis. It's actually
a near perfect fit as I'll cut the donor chassis on the 3rd panel making a total of 5 once it's all grafted
together. (There are 4 sections to the series 1 chassis.)

The marked sections are where I'll cut the second chassis. I should have them grafted together in the next day or two.

I also trimmed out the rear seat as it interfered with the IFS from the Shelby.

I'll graft in this section of the Shelby interior tub to make the Challenger a 2 seater.
(The V10 from the Viper will be moved back so this again, works out really well.)

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I'll post photos later today. I've got a few updates and plan on working on the build a lot this weekend. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
So my initial plan was to graft the two originals chassis pieces together w/just some evergreen plastic and some putty. It looked good.

But warped enough that when finished the model wouldn't have sat on all four tires.
So change of plans. Laid down a thicker piece of plastic, then cut out the areas to match the Shelby chassis.

Now strong and straight.
Viper V10, mated w/the driveshaft tube and rear transaxle from the Shelby.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Today, a lot of dirty work, (test fitting and sanding.) not worthy of photos. I was really trying to use as much of the Shelby
chassis pieces as possible but the V10 was pushed so far back in the chassis that the driver seats would have been in "Back".
So things have been moved forward, and will have to do more scratch building than I wanted.

Sorry for all the tape, still have so much mock-up to due.

And not sure I'll go w/the flashier valve covers, or the more motor sports looking ones that came w/the ARC kit.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
The build is moving along slowly.
Mocked up the wheels last night. Sorry for the lousy cell phone photos.

Was trying to fig. out the easiest way to mount the Aoshima wheels using their pin system when I tested the puny disc brakes from, again
the Shelby donor kit. To my surprise, the recess of the brakes holds the back-side of the Aoshima wheels perfectly.
(I'll post photos of the set-up.)
I'm experimenting w/my Micro-mesh polishing kit to see if I can get a brushed finish on the wheels. (I hate chrome) The centers will be painted a dark bronze. (maybe.)

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
The Challenger is looking great!

For the wheels...have you considered Testors Dullcote to knock down the brightness of the chrome?

You mentioned tiny brake discs...I've used stainess-steel washers in the past, with calipers made from bits of sheet styrene. Not the most detailed, but a quick and easy method.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Thanks.

No, I haven't looked at dullcote, though I do have a couple of cans I may have to try it on test wheels. (though I'm after that brushed look.)
The small disc brakes aren't an issue. I have large Brembo's that'll be over-laying onto the small discs. It just so turned out that the small
discs work great as a mounting point for the Aoshima wheels as opposed to having to use Aoshima's "pin" system.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Small update.

This is how I'm using the Shelby 1 brakes as a hub for the Fujimi Brembos. The recess of the Shelby1 brakes fits perfectly on the Aoshima wheels. I'll detail the brakes w/black wash for the holes and paint the calpers.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Very little to update. It's been friggin hot her in S.B. so I've had no desire to be in the garage.
I did received these in the Mail from clearly Scale.

The absolute cleanest cottage industry model parts I've ever received.

I'd loaned him some Mopar seats to work on his pro-touring series of buckets so he sent these to me for free.

The Seat on the left is his custom work. These won't go on this current build but I had to show them off.

81 - 100 of 117 Posts