VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife and I both have the 5-point harness seats that convert to boosters. Conversion is easy enough and whatnot, but my frustration is with the belt itself. Hoping maybe some of you more experienced parents can fill me in as I'm not finding a ton online about our specific concern.

Ok so we have the seat properly installed and the belt correctly routed and buckled pursuant to the manufacturer specs. If my daughter moves causing the lap portion to extend outwards you need to physically pull back up on the chest portion to snug the lap back up again. Auto tension works on the chest like usual but the lap won't auto tension...which I believe to be somewhat normal considering how a 3-point works without a booster but this takes more effort and of course my wife is saying I'm wrong. We called Britax who advised we had it routed incorrectly (we don't). It almost seems to be a condition relating to the buckle being so far buried down relative to the booster seat that it creates a friction issue to where it is difficult for the lap portion to tension back...if that makes any sense. Do you folks with boosters have this condition with the belt? If so, how did you deal with it? Right now we still have her in the 5-point until we figure out wtf it is we are possibly doing wrong as I do am a bit concerned.

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
Can't say I've experienced that. I put her in, tension the lap so it is snug across the waist, then allow the shoulder portion to move freely with it fed through the shoulder guide on the seat back. The lap portion never moves, but the shoulder portion is allowed move and lock as needed.

Sounds like there is friction on the buckle, maybe rubbing against the seat of the booster?

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is certainly some friction going on. So in your case you can't pull up on the lap belt at all?

A source of frustration is my daughter, though. She is CONSTANTLY whining about her shorts, skirt, whatever bothering her when she is sitting in the 5-point (I guess it is a phase similar to the dreaded toe seam on socks). That thing won't allow any movement really when she tries to lift her butt to adjust. However with the 3-point she can lift her butt up in the air to readjust the evil fabric crease causing intense life debilitating discomfort.

FWIW I don't mock her discomfort when dealing with her...despite how ridiculous she is being.

·
Registered
15,500 Posts
There is certainly some friction going on. So in your case you can't pull up on the lap belt at all?

A source of frustration is my daughter, though. She is CONSTANTLY whining about her shorts, skirt, whatever bothering her when she is sitting in the 5-point (I guess it is a phase similar to the dreaded toe seam on socks). That thing won't allow any movement really when she tries to lift her butt to adjust. However with the 3-point she can lift her butt up in the air to readjust the evil fabric crease causing intense life debilitating discomfort.

FWIW I don't mock her discomfort when dealing with her...despite how ridiculous she is being.
Everyone has been there. Normally I have been able to stifle my laughter until I am back in the driver's seat.:laugh:

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
:laugh: oh, we'd laugh at that all day. My daughter used to wiggle and get so frustrated and make grunting noises. She got over it, but it was hilarious all the drama that ensued on a trip to the store.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"This bathing suit is bothering me."
"I understand but it is only a five minute trip to the pool so you just need to deal with it."
"Daddy I don't like this I want to wear something else."
"So then I guess you don't want to go to the pool?"
-silence-

·
Registered
15,500 Posts
"This bathing suit is bothering me."
"I understand but it is only a five minute trip to the pool so you just need to deal with it."
"Daddy I don't like this I want to wear something else."
"So then I guess you don't want to go to the pool?"
-silence-
Ah yes, the old "ok, cool - we don't need to go" approach. Convincing children everywhere to deal with it and get in the damn car for eons.:laugh:

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
We default to the, "ok, no problem, we'll just head home and try this again another time.." That generally got them quiet real quick.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So a bit of an update. We ended up replacing the Britax in the wife's car with a Recaro booster (full back but slimmer profile without the 5-point ability). Much smoother operation of the car's 3-point with this compared to the other. I still need to mess with the existing Recaro in my car that converts from 5-point to booster.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts