VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay.... i have a set of Pionners IMPPs DVCs wired up to 2ohm in serirs...on the amp i have it bridged....so from what i read the speakers are etheir pulling 1ohm or .5ohm (witch the amp cant handle bridged from what i read in the manual lol) but damm it handles it tho lol but my batt cant
....Damm lights keepdimming like to the point where they almost SHUT OFF
ANyways....Im looking into buying some new subs....Mabye some W7s or kicker L7s...i havnt really decided...more twords the L7s cuz there nicely priced for a good sound...right now my pioneers HIT...but it dosnt sound very clear....
I have an upgraded HU aswell....a Sony XMP something lol it plays Mp3s sirurs ready and what not 4volt preamp outputs nice HU alot of option on it....
ANyways....If i bought the l7z there DVCs 4 and i belive 2ohm stable...if i where to wire them up the same way i have my subs wired right now will they be drawing still 1ohm or .5ohms from the amp...i just wanna make sure my amp can power the new subs

Its a Kenwood 1000watt....(kac 929).....
Any info or help would be great...thanks

·
Registered
197 Posts
Lets make it easy... you have this entire "OHM" idea upside down...
series - you add the resistance values (ohms) so 2+2=4ohm in my books
parallel - you take invert of the value and add so a 2ohm + 2ohm = 1ohm.... or 1/2 + 1/2 = 1
does this help ?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Re: (crazyravr)

you need to wire the voice coils in series which would make each sub 8 ohms then parallel the two subs together which would equal 4 ohms and finally bridge the amp which would bring the total load to 2 ohms which is what you want anything less is going to blow the amp.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Parallel
2 x 4 Ohm speaker = 2 Ohm load
2 x 8 Ohm speaker = 4 Ohm load
2 x 16 Ohm speaker = 8 Ohm load

Series
2 x 4 Ohm speaker = 8 Ohm load
2 x 8 Ohm speaker = 16 Ohm load
2 x 16 Ohm speaker = 32 Ohm load

Modified by oNe.EigHT at 2:29 PM 2-17-2004

·
Banned
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (oNe.EigHT)

Both subs are DVCs...On each sub i have the - Crossed over to the - and the + crossed over to the + on eatch coil Per sub (this the manual told me would make them 2ohm)

And from there i have both - and + of both subs wired to the amp witch is bridged so both connected to one terminal on the amp ( bridged one + from Left and i belive it was 1 - From right? i know i got it bridged right tho!
)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Re: (DimcheMKV)

Damn dude....you ARE running that amp at .05 ohm if you have it wired the way you say you do. The amp may run that way, but not stable and not for long. Plus, as an unfortunate side effect, the amp is sucking juice from your electrical system like a champ.
Do yourself a favor and do some more research before you rewire those things. The way you have it setup is going to destroy your amp or your electrical system in a hurry. If you really want DVC subs, then just buy some with dual 4 ohm coils. Then, parallel the coils on each sub, and run each sub to it's own channel on the amp. NOT bridged. That will drop the ohm load at the amplifier to two ohms per channel, will be MUCH easier on your electrical system, and should still hit like a mofo.
Don't worry about the speakers being "stable" at any ohm load, because speakers don't care one bit about ohms, just watts. The only ohm rating you need to worry about is at the amplifier. The way you wire the coils, and the way you wire the speakers at the amp will determine how many ohms of resistance the amplifier is working against, and thus how many watts RMS the amplifier is delivering to the subs. Most decent amps should be rock solid at 4 and 2 ohms, but their are very few that can safely handle 1 or .5 ohms for very long. Good luck, and let me know if you have any more q's.

Modified by recklessvw at 10:30 PM 2-17-2004

·
Banned
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (recklessvw)

Quote, originally posted by recklessvw »
Damn dude....you ARE running that amp at .05 ohm if you have it wired the way you say you do. The amp may run that way, but not stable and not for long. Plus, as an unfortunate side effect, the amp is sucking juice from your electrical system like a champ.
Do yourself a favor and do some more research before you rewire those things. The way you have it setup is going to destroy your amp or your electrical system in a hurry. If you really want DVC subs, then just buy some with dual 4 ohm coils. Then, parallel the coils on each sub, and run each sub to it's own channel on the amp. NOT bridged. That will drop the ohm load at the amplifier to two ohms per channel, will be MUCH easier on your electrical system, and should still hit like a mofo.
Don't worry about the speakers being "stable" at any ohm load, because speakers don't care one bit about ohms, just watts. The only ohm rating you need to worry about is at the amplifier. The way you wire the coils, and the way you wire the speakers at the amp will determine how many ohms of resistance the amplifier is working against, and thus how many watts RMS the amplifier is delivering to the subs. Most decent amps should be rock solid at 4 and 2 ohms, but their are very few that can safely handle 1 or .5 ohms for very long. Good luck, and let me know if you have any more q's.

Modified by recklessvw at 10:30 PM 2-17-2004

its been like this for a whole year
No problems besides amp shutting off if i play it TOOOO long and TOOO loud...btw amp is only set to about halfway on the gain
But the lights do DIM lol real bad......

So .5ohms uh...lol tought so!!! **** HITS lol....makes ur noise itch if ur in the car

Now will anyone know if a 8 cubic foot box will fit in a GTI??? ill have a Clarion 32inch woofer soon lol...im sure if i wire it right my amp can push out enoff watts to get it moveing

·
Banned
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (DimcheMKV)

Like i said man...This kenwood is handleing this for a good year and half now...my 600watt kenwood was wired the smae way lol and that bastard handle it....

Honestly what can i break on my cars eletrical system

I have a pretty thick guage wire that barely fits in that one hole in the firewall that runs to my amp....Now mabye if some eletrical componetsin the car arent receving enoff power mabye then i can do damage but all i see are lights dimming, inside and out....lol .5...damm kenwood makes good amp i guess lol http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

BTW the amps stable at 2ohm but not bridged from what the manual said.....No blown fuses no nothing bad yet....I only paid 330 for tyis sub brand new from bestbuy
3year warrenty was the 30bucks so thus makeing it 330....i dont know now u got me worried about my cars eletrical system

Modified by DimcheMKV at 3:29 AM 2-19-2004

1 - 8 of 8 Posts