VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the September BMW Roundel (the magazine of the BMW Car Club of America), there's a letter from Robert Lyon, a 20 year BMW owner who switched to a Phaeton. He explains that the current BMWs are ugly (no surprize there!) and unappealing, so he went looking elsewhere. He says
"Well, I've not been a Benz fan, but was quite taken by the Audi A8; in most respects it is far more pleasing than the Seven. However, I happened by the local VW store and tried the A8's brother, the Phaeton - which, thanks to selling like stale bread, was a steal of a deal. So now, for a lease payment about the same as a 530i, I'm driving what thus far has proved to be a very competent luxury sedan with appointments of the highest quality - and, to me, beautiful styling both in and out.
"I know there will be derisive comments to follow, but while the Phateon might not have quite the same abilities as a Seven on the track, on the road it's mighty fine (after all, it is the same platform as the Bentley Continetal). Actually, having both the [prior generation] 540i and the Phaeton has proved quite contrasting; switching between them offers a different driving experience, both very satisfying."
He also notes that the VW dealer had a new BMW 645 on his used car lot, also traded in on a Phaeton, and that his VW dealer wasn't arrogant or condescending.

Modified by bobschneider at 9:22 AM 9-8-2005

· Registered
1,033 Posts
Re: Letter from Phaeton owner in BMW Roundel (bobschneider)

I drove BMW's for several years and I can attest to the snobbery in the service dept. Actually, the sales people I knew were quite nice. I found the Roundel to be the best 'club' magazine out there.
We worry about the depreciation of the Phaetons. I had an '88 model M6. The sticker was over $63,000. (This was 1998 dollars). I bought it used (12,000 miles) for $38,000 in 1990. That's a 40% reduction from list. And that was one of the best Bimmers ever. They brought over less than 2500 cars in two years and the cars demand a premium today.
Is it possible that this foreshadows a Phaeton experience?

· Registered
647 Posts
Re: Letter from Phaeton owner in BMW Roundel (PanEuropean)

Wow, it was good to see my letter got such quick attention, I haven't even got my Roundel yet!
It will be interesting to see the letters next month to see if the Phaeton bashers write in. However, everything I said was true for me and I'm enjoying my "Big Boy" more every day. My biggest problem will be the overmileage fee at the end of the lease

Rob

· Registered
598 Posts
Re: Letter from Phaeton owner in BMW Roundel (GripperDon)

It was good of the editors at the BMW magazine to print the letter though. At least they are willing to share complaints about the new BMWs. I agree that they are ugly as all get out. Mercedes-Benz has gone WAY downhill in design and quality. One reason I chose the Phaeton is that MBs and BMWs are a dime a dozen in Dallas. If I bought one of those, I'd only blend into the crowd. I want to express my individuality more. Judging by the looks and thumbs up I get while driving it, the Phaeton is meeting my objective nicely.

· Registered
2,252 Posts
Re: Letter from Phaeton owner in BMW Roundel (GripperDon)

Quote, originally posted by GripperDon »
Was or is their some news letter we were suppossed to start getting when we bought the VW Phaeton. It's been months an I have never received any thing?

Don , I asked that very same question about 3 months ago and then lo and behold , the magazine showed up the very next day. You should be getting it soon now that you asked.

· Registered
39 Posts

Hi Bob,glad you made the change.The Phaeton is a great car.I also have a SL600 that i am quite fond of!One of MBs better cars.I saw you live in wilmette.I grew up in Indian Hills CC.I went to Faith Hope and Loyola in wilmette.Where did you go to school were around the same age.Also,what dealer did you buy from?All the best.Jack

· Registered
77 Posts
Re: Letter from Phaeton owner in BMW Roundel (Jack Orr)

jack
very true indeed. having a 1996-V-12 i can agree on the depreciation factor. great mag. and i believe it has always been the editor's position, right or wrong to print any member's position who took the time to write on any particular issue. solid mag. in following their mission statement and IMHO an enjoyable read and very informative in a general sense relating of course to BMW issues. however, the P & the 7 are two very different cars in the overall "driving experience." i think it has been said many times in this forum, sports car and sedan. different, different and different! i guess, like myself, you have to have both depending on your mood, weather and destination as to what car gets the turn of the key

· Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Letter from Phaeton owner in BMW Roundel (continental flyguy)

Hi, Jack. I grew up in the Northwest Suburbs, went to high school at Hersey in Arlington Heights, graduated in '74. We moved to Wilmette about 4 years ago (we're in the center of town, around Ridge and Wilmette), after 9 years in Evanston. My daughter is now a Junior at New Trier.
I bought my W12 from the Autobarn in Evanston - same with the V8 Phaeton I had before it (I traded in the 8 only becuase they had a 4 seater W12 I couldn't walk away from!). I worked with Marty in sales, and Larry Cohen in service - they're both very professional, and are first class guys to deal with. Autobarn seems to be selling quite a few Phaetons - there's another one that's usually parked in front of a house about 3 blocks away from me, and I see others on the street at least once a week. If Phaetons were as popular in the rest of the country as they are around here, you'd have to get on a waiting list to buy one!
Our other two cars are both Bimmers, a 325Xi wagon which is my wife's, and a Z3 3.0 which is my toy. That's why I get the Roundel - I agree with some of the other postings that it's a first class magazine, and its well worth joining the BMWCCA just to get it if you have any interest in BMWs.

· Registered
647 Posts

I rarely see Phaeton's on the road, but was standing in front of my hotel on W.Grand in Chicago when a Black W12 whispered by. It was amazing how quiet it was compared to the other cars on road! Looked sweet too!
Rob

· Registered
39 Posts

Hi Bob,one quick question.What kind of mileage differential between W12 and V8.I currently get around 10 MPG in hilly area where i live,but on the highway around 22 MPG.My MB SL 600 v12 gets 15MPG and 20MPG in comparison.What is your experience thus far?All the best!Jack

· Registered
5,043 Posts

My short distance milage when starting from cold is quite low - but it picks up considerably once the cats are warmed up. The first two miles are about 8mpg and then quickly goes to 15 - 17 around town. 20 - 21 easy on the highway and better on long highway trips.

· Registered
21,380 Posts

Hello Jack:
I use regular grade gasoline, the same tires that came on the car when it was delivered (I think they are Michelin but I can't remember - they are what everyone else has), and the tire pressures listed at this post: W12 Tire Pressures, Ride Comfort and Road Noise.
Most of my city driving is very short hops, 5 miles or less. When I do make a highway trip, it is usually a very long trip - 1,000 miles or more, typically at about 70MPH with the cruise control engaged.
Michael

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.