VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

261 - 280 of 329 Posts

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
Lexus LC Suspension Inspired by Chopsticks

Car Magazine has an interview with Lexus LC Chief Engineer Koji Sato, which includes the following passage:

So far, with previous technology, if you want lighter steering you lose the torque feedback. If you have more torque feedback then you lose the sharpness, the clarity. They couldn’t be realised at the same time.

Now we have new technology on the suspension and body so we can realise our unique taste to the handling. This kind of taste is not only for the LC. From now, any other model will have the same taste, from LS to IS.

In creating this characteristic it’s difficult because there’s no superweapon. Creating taste is a very fundamental thing. You have to focus on the welding spot number or the body structure, and sometimes the material of the steering column or something. All the small things make a big difference.

We’ve seen this new double-joint multi-link suspension on the LC & LS, and both designs have capitalized on the lower hood line. But Sato’s mention of “unique taste” brought to mind an interview with LC suspension engineer Hidejuki Masumo from Czech website AutoRevue — here are the quotes, paraphrased by Google Translate:

“[Chief Engineer Koji] Sato wanted the hood to remain low, but he was also planning to use twenty- two-wheeled wheels, so he wanted something that would not really be possible,” said Hidejuki Masumo. “Usually, we might be in a situation like this, but when I carefully studied the cross-section of the multi-element axle, I found that what we want to achieve is real. And partly through the chopsticks. “

As a multi-element front axle designer, Masumo noticed how each of the five arms of the system reacts differently when adapted for use in the LC model. When he showed it to his team, he used the chopsticks to mimic the given geometry. Each designer then created his own copy of the model using his thumbs and studied it until he understood the system completely.
https://lexusenthusiast.com/2018/01/11/lexus-lc-suspension-inspired-by-chopsticks/

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
Lexus LC to Race in 24 Hours of Nürburgring

A new Lexus LC race car is set to participate in the 46th annual 24 Hours of Nürburgring endurance race in Germany. The LC has been built to race specifications, and incorporates advanced development technologies destined for future production vehicles — the press release outlines the changes:

Body technology development (reducing weight, increasing rigidity)
Driver assistance technology (enhancing visibility, etc.)
Aerodynamics development
Engine development (increasing power by reducing friction, enhancing fuel economy, etc.)
Suspension technology (reducing weight, increasing rigidity, enhancing responsiveness, etc.)
Drivers for the 24-hour race will be Takeshi Tsuchiya as the chief driver, along with young drivers Takamitsu Matsui, Naoya Gamo, and Yuichi Nakayama. Tsuchiya was sure to temper expectations about the LC in its first race:

“The race car we are currently developing, the Lexus LC, is still in its infancy and finally beginning to take its first steps’, said Takeshi Tsuchiya, Driver. “It will be some time before it can properly stand by itself, but it will be well worth the effort, and I’m delighted to actually be involved in the company’s efforts towards “making ever-better cars” for the future. As the drivers, the four of us will work together to bring the company’s goals to fruition.”
https://lexusenthusiast.com/2018/01/12/lexus-lc-to-race-in-24-hours-of-nurburgring/

·
Registered
18 Accord 2.0 10AT, 00 Silverado, 15 Mazda5
707 Posts
Sat in one at the auto show today. What a great car. Tons of awesome details and materials everywhere. Can't wait until I can afford one on the used market, in 20 years or so...

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
This. I wish my dad had even gotten a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid instead of an ES300h this past summer. While it isn't bad to drive, it is a luxo Camry, and I'm even disappointed with the interior space. Yeah the Hyundai doesn't have the name like Lexus, but its infotainment (ACP/AA w/Nav) is better than anything found in a Toyota product right now.
Nah infortainment doesn't influence my car buying to that point :eek::D

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
Lexus LC Convertible Reportedly 2 Years Away, LC F Still Likely

This pair of models would give Lexus challengers against BMW and Mercedes' grand tourers.

Lexus is close to having a convertible in its lineup again because the Japanese premium brand intends to slice the roof off the LC. The prospects look quite good for a more powerful variant of the coupe, too.

An unnamed insider tells Auto Express the the LC convertible is a "done deal" and already has a green light for production. However, the model is still around two years from actually arriving at dealers.

Company execs aren't ready to confirm the drop top officially, though. "I hope that we will have a convertible in the near future. We know the luxury market requires a convertible," Yoshihiro Sawa, Senior Managing Officer of Lexus, told Auto Express.

The LC convertible's most direct competition would likely be BMW's recently spied 8 Series drop top. However, its more adventurous styling might lure a few customers away from the S550 Cabriolet, too.

Contrary to previous reports, Auto Express' insider claims that the rumored LC F doesn't yet have production approval, but execs are seriously considering building one. Prior rumors out of Japan indicate that the LC F would use a new biturbo 4.0-liter V8 with 621 horsepower (463 kilowatts) and make extensive use of carbon-fiber reinforced polymer to lower the coupe's weight. Despite the high performance upgrades, the interior would allegedly remain quite luxurious.

Judging by these reports, the LC F would be a closer competitor to AMG-tuned variants of the Mercedes S-Class, rather than a hardcore followup to the LFA supercar.

Lexus filed for a trademark on the LC F moniker in February 2017, indicating the company has been mulling over this idea for quite a while. Rumors even hinted that the model might have debuted at the Tokyo Motor Show in November, but it didn't show up there.
https://www.motor1.com/news/227557/lexus-lc-convertible-confirmation-rumor/

·
Registered
32,159 Posts
"this piecemeal LC looks to have revised front vents flanking the spindle grille, reworked side skirts and a deeper rear bumper. "

Nope. That's a completely standard LC body.

·
Registered
17,972 Posts

Had a chance to ride in this one. It was really, really good. The things that I liked: Savage rev-limiter, torquey NA motor, Lexus ride quality, still very fun to toss around. Things I didn't like: Still heavy, not a true sports car, you only get fun stuff in the higher level sport modes.

:beer:

·
Registered
12,752 Posts
Had a chance to ride in this one. It was really, really good. The things that I liked: Savage rev-limiter, torquey NA motor, Lexus ride quality, still very fun to toss around. Things I didn't like: Still heavy, not a true sports car, you only get fun stuff in the higher level sport modes.

I'm shocked at how few I've seen of these around here. I've personally already tired of the looks but I'm still glad it exists. I wonder if Lexus is still overproducing them.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Things I didn't like: Still heavy, not a true sports car, you only get fun stuff in the higher level sport modes.

Well it IS a GT; not a full on sports car. Viewed from that angle (not a 911 fighter), it's brilliant. There are three or four around here; you can't mistake them (or, honestly, the pompous *ss drivers) for anything else.

I must be getting old, since I'm starting to prefer the luxury versions of many a popular car over the M or AMG version that everyone else seems to have.

·
Registered
9,049 Posts
I didn't realize this car was out. I saw one in traffic last week and had no idea what sort of Lexus it was but really wanted to know, and then stumbled upon this thread. Cool.

·
Registered
17,972 Posts
Well it IS a GT; not a full on sports car. Viewed from that angle (not a 911 fighter), it's brilliant. There are three or four around here; you can't mistake them (or, honestly, the pompous *ss drivers) for anything else.

I must be getting old, since I'm starting to prefer the luxury versions of many a popular car over the M or AMG version that everyone else seems to have.
4300 lbs is still pretty hefty for a GT, but the car hid it very well. overall, a great GT car.

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
Coupe of the Year 2018: Lexus LC

The Lexus LC is the 2018 Auto Express Coupe of the Year, with the Audi A5 and Porsche 718 Cayman commended
When Lexus revealed the LF-LC concept at the 2012 Detroit Motor Show, few people thought the coupe would make it to production looking that good – us included. Surely Lexus wouldn’t be brave enough to bring out such a bold production car?

Rarely are we so happy to be that wrong. The Lexus LC is every bit as special to look at as its concept, and to drive one is just the same.

We love the hi-tech approach to making a hybrid powertrain and CVT gearbox work well, offering efficiency and smooth cruising in this luxury two-door coupe, as well as strong performance. But if speed is what you’re after, the V8 model should be your pick. The bellowing engine is a joy to drive, revving hard and with a wonderful howl. Even the transmission delivers quick enough shifts, while at a more sedate pace the Lexus is a consummate cruiser.

The handling is a delight, too, with plenty of grip and poise. There’s also a fair amount of comfort and refinement on the motorway, confirming the LC’s credentials as a grand tourer. Around town the composed ride and V6 hybrid mean you’ll even be able to get under way using electric power alone, while the boost from the battery and motors provides assistance when it’s needed.

As with all Lexus models, the quality of the car is outstanding inside and out. The only slight drawback is the infotainment. That’s a shame, because with a better system the Lexus would be even more impressive overall.

The LC uses lessons learned from the LFA supercar and is one of Lexus’s best-driving models ever. Yet its 2+2 layout, sumptuous cabin and roomy boot make it nearly as usable as an IS saloon.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/lexus/lc/103934/coupe-of-the-year-2018-lexus-lc

·
Registered
13,545 Posts
Wald: extra lines mean extra $$$ :laugh::laugh::laugh:

261 - 280 of 329 Posts