VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2000 Cabrio and want to attach my authentic German license plate to the front. Since I'm from Maine, I have to leave my original front plate on also. Does anyone have any ways to put the German plate on, without it being too low (below original plate) or covering the front badge?? Thanks for your help.
PS--I am also searching for a tan boot cover for my convertible top. eBay has been no help and the dealer is asking too much to special order it. Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
Re: License plate holder (CatFish219)

Quote, originally posted by CatFish219 »
I own a 2000 Cabrio and want to attach my authentic German license plate to the front. Since I'm from Maine, I have to leave my original front plate on also. Does anyone have any ways to put the German plate on, without it being too low (below original plate) or covering the front badge?? Thanks for your help.
PS--I am also searching for a tan boot cover for my convertible top. eBay has been no help and the dealer is asking too much to special order it. Thanks again!

Boot covers on E-bay...

If your 2000 has the standard Mk3.5 plate, you can TRY using the plate bracket from a Mk3 cabrio. The Mk3.5 plate is flat mount; the mk3 plate bracket used 4 bolts in 2 different places, including the bottom of the bumper. By inverting the plate holder, it moves the state plate down about 10 inches, which leaves more than enough room for the Euro plate. I'll try and get some pics for you....

If that doesn't work, you can try using "Home Depot Motorsport" brackets (buy 90 degree bend, drill to bottom of bumper, attach plate bracket)
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1362804
Modified by DaddyOfPayton at 10:04 AM 5-24-2004

Modified by DaddyOfPayton at 10:05 AM 5-24-2004

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Re: License plate holder (DaddyOfPayton)

Or the Lowe's Lightweight Motorsport brackets - composite construction!
Lowe's 1" strap aluminum, custom machined (bent and drilled) to fit, and bolted to a Bell WallyMart "composite" (plastic) license plate holder. Don't laugh - I have one on the front of Project POS Cabrio and it looks darned nice!

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
Re: License plate holder (dixonL2)

Quote, originally posted by dixonL2 »
Don't laugh - I have one on the front of Project POS Cabrio and it looks darned nice!

I ain't laughing; I used a Lowe's Motorsport bracket to keep my inverted plate holder from bending back at elevated...oops, I mean normal..highway speeds.
Just waiting to attach the Euro when it arrives from europeanplates.com

·
Banned
2,163 Posts

these will all work, even the "midnight-walmart-shop-grand-prix" or the "sears-CRAPsman 500" way

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks for your reply. I think I can lower the Maine plate and somehow attach the German plate above it. Although I hate to drill holes in the German plate. A friend got it for me when she went home to Germany. It's personalized! CATFISH, that's my nickname. Good to have friends in high places!! If I figure it and it's not too ugly, I'll post some pics!!

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
Re: License plate holder (CatFish219)

PLEASE buy a plate bracket for the Euro plate (it eliminates having to drill through the plate to mount it.)
They are only like $15 shipped, sometimes cheaper, and the outside edge snaps around the perimeter of the plate, without drilling.
I can send you like 3 links to places that have them in stock, and IMHO it looks much better than holes drilled in your E-plate.

Anyone else feel the same?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thank you for all your help.
I didn't want to drill holes either, so could you please post the websites that offer plate holders??
Thanks again!!

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts