VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up all,
In NY State, is it mandatory that I have a license plate be put on the front bumper of the R32? I know I am risking a ticket, however the dealer said they have to put it on. Do I have an option?
Please let me know.
Thanks

Modified by vwr32golf2004 at 5:23 PM 2-14-2004

·
Registered
49 Posts
Re: License plate on the front bumper requirement? (vwr32golf2004)

Get the front license mounting bracket painted the color of your car so it looks better...why wait to see if you get a ticket?

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Re: License plate on the front bumper requirement? (RonsRR32)

Ron my dealer didn't put the bracket on
I have it in my trunk and the other plate in my glove box. It looks so nice without it. If a cop gives me a ticket then he is just a ball buster. I will just keep my fingers crossed. I was happy to see that the bracket is color coded though. Did you get your ride yet?? I haven't seen any R32's yet in CT besides the other 4 at the dealer awaiting delivery. I have gotten quite a few stares and thumbs up for other dubbers.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts

Only a total jackass risks being pulled by a cop for something as stupid as not putting a plate on
. It's not a Farrari that goes out only on weekends. . . Besides, being an agressive looking car, cops will look closer at you than a guy driving a crappy old Honda or something.
I guess you could move to a state where you don't need a front plate, but that's drastic!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
the dealer is supposed to put them on because at least in my state, we give you inspection stickers; a front plate is a requirement if regestering in NJ.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Re: License plate on the front bumper requirement? (peppeVR6)

Peppe,
Dealership is playing price/games with me and my trade in.

I probably will not get one.
Unless they pay off my car and give me a good price for my 2002 GTI1.8T LOADED.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Re: License plate on the front bumper requirement? (RonsR32)

not good to hear. options? maybe another dealership. Langan has a blue coming in with cloth on the 22nd, not sure if it is spoken for. Call up Dutch in Glastonbury.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts

I too, am from NY. My dealer asked if I wanted the holes drilled. I was stopped 2 times in 50 miles for no front plate. Warnings only.
I finally bent a stainless plate into an "L" shape, mounted it under the front lip and mounted the plate to it.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Re: License plate on the front bumper requirement? (jessla)

Ive been driving my Corrado 6 years in NY with no front plate. Ive been asked only twice in those 6 years where my front plate was. Both times I was only given a warning. I think if you get pulled over for speeding or some other charge, they will bring up the no front plate. Of course it all depends on the cop

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
Re: License plate on the front bumper requirement? (G60 dude)

Greg, post a pic of the front of your C...I love that thing! nevermind...found your link.

Modified by FLY-GTI1 at 8:21 AM 2-16-2004

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: License plate on the front bumper requirement? (jessla)

Hey you wouldn't happen to have a picture of how this looks would you? I am very conscientious about putting a plate on the front bumper because is looks really nice without one, but if what you did doesn't look too bad, maybe that thought would change.
I wish we had the low profile license plates like Europe does, those are cool and wouldn't partially block the cetral air intake on the bumper.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts

I have no front plate. Screw the law. Its only a 25.00 fix it ticket in california. I'd rather pay for the ticket, than drill holes in my front bumper. I have a plate on the back, and that should be enough for them. My dealership did not put it on because I requested that they dont. They warned me about the law, and I said, fine, I'll deal with it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm with Dark. If you don't like the look of the front plate, don't put it on. Understand the consequences. DOn't drink (even a little) and drive the damn thing because the absence of a front plate is cause to pull you over. It is your civic duty to disregard laws that you do not agree with, though "civic duty" it is not a defense to whatever you are charged with. I have an M3, purchased new in 97, never had a front plate (they are required in RI) and I have been pulled over many times. Never have I received a citation for no front plate, not even in RI. Do whatever you want, just accept that your actions may result in a fine.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Re: (m341997)

The plate brackets for the R32 look atrocious. I mean not just because it's killing the front end of the car, but seriously, it looks worse than an ordinary Passat tag bracket. I don't know why. Best bet, try to talk with the sales guy. Appeal to his car enthusiast side and argue that it would kill the lines of the car. The salesguy at my local dealership agrees that it ruins the flow.
EDIT: spelling error

Modified by Groundskeeper at 8:34 PM 2-17-2004

·
Registered
485 Posts

I ran no plate for years in NY on my MkII. I got pulled over several times becasue of it and used to dread inspection stops. I never got a ticket but I will never do it again. In my personal experience it is not worth having any easy reason to be pulled over. I now run a front plate and will run one on my R32 and every other car I have. It is just not worth it!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Re: License plate on the front bumper requirement? (gti_fan)

VWR32,
I hate to say this but go ahead and put the plate on. I asked Sovereign not to put the plate on my 337 and after some back and forth they decided to leave it of for me. Since then, I have gotten several tickets:
Trooper turned around on Old Country Road just to get me for it.
Parked in NYC
At a Traffic Light in NYC
Then, I went to get it inspected back at the dealer and they wouldn't pass it. So I had them install it for me. Thankfully they didnlt charge me. In NY its not worth it. Especially if you go anywhere near the 5 boros.
John

·
Registered
68 Posts

When I got my car and looked in the hatch area, there was a front plate mount already painted the exact color ( SILVER) of my car. Not that anyone wants it, but if you (anyone) wants it, I'll send it. Just IM me and I'll get back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts