VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part# 531807817. Does anyone know someone that still stocks these in the US? ECS has them but wants $52 to ship them (yikes). Or something comparable?

A search led me to someone using clips from a Ford but they had to bore out the whole in the deck lid for them to fit which I'd like to avoid.

Chad

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
A good body/paint supply store usually has a bunch of fasteners you probably can match something up with. Bring a sample.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Struck out at the body shop spot, but for any future folks searching these worked in the factory holes and have a handy screw head so they're way easier to get back off.

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
Those plastic heads normally do not come out. There is someone that posts a lot how they hate plastic, I would agree with type of clip.

Fortunately, you'll rarely ever remove them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those plastic heads normally do not come out. There is someone that posts a lot how they hate plastic, I would agree with type of clip.

Fortunately, you'll rarely ever remove them.
I had three of them on before I realized I didn't put the rubber seal back in place that runs along the top of the panel (yikes). They didn't really wanna come out, but wedging a little flat head under the screw head as you unscrewed it seemed to do the trick. Hoping I won't be taking them back off anytime soon, though.

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
Yeah, that is what I try to do too.

It is weird, it's a sound idea [threaded center section] but with the threads they have, it does not work at all. You must use a philips and that requires you to push the screw driver in while threading it out. The threads are just too thin and just strips.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts