VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a life changing decison to make I have Koni Yellows and Eibach Pro Kit springs going on thursday.
Which swaybar setup do I buy/use? I have BlackedoutGTI selling his Neuspeed F&R sways (25mm front and 28mm adj rear) for 300.00 dropped off at my door by him.
OR
WRD's H-Sport Swaybar Special set
5-speed ONLY
H-Sport Sport Sway Bars (front and rear) 99-04 Golf/GTI/Jetta 5-SPEED (Retail: 432.95)
for 349 shipped to my door. The nuespeeds are used and in good condition w/ everything. The difference between the two the H-Sport's are both F&R adj.
Also remember this is going ona slightly faster but not really fast 2.0L!
Here is the kicker for $400 he is going to throw in F&R ABD upper strut bars as well brought to me by himself
OR
Save the money and just buy a Rear Adj sway and forget dropping 300 on a a full set!
What do my fellow texers think? Experiences with either sways?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Re: Life changin swaybar content> (TK99BORA)

Quote, originally posted by TK99BORA »
Save the money and just buy a Rear Adj sway and forget dropping 300 on a a full set!

Don't do anything with the front unless it is rubbing against your axles. If it does, just get some adjustable end links.
That being said, what are you doing with your car? Spirited driving? Autocross? Road courses? More info is needed for suspension advice, but as a general rule of thumb, just get the rear sway and call it a day.

·
Banned
10,348 Posts
Re: Life changin swaybar content> (seesquared)

Quote, originally posted by seesquared »
Don't do anything with the front unless it is rubbing against your axles. If it does, just get some adjustable end links.
That being said, what are you doing with your car? Spirited driving? Autocross? Road courses? More info is needed for suspension advice, but as a general rule of thumb, just get the rear sway and call it a day.

Agreed. No need to replace your front swaybar. A rear swaybar is a good addition though.
Here is the main FAQ thread on rear swaybars:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1579554
And the suspension primer:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2486228

Modified by phatvw at 2:36 PM 6-20-2006

·
Registered
3,791 Posts

Between those two options I would go for the H-Sport kit. Upper strut bars do basically nothing and aren't really a huge thing to have for the car anyhow. For 50 bucks more you get adjustable bars that are brand new.
There are many conflicting theories on bar usage, so take it all w/ a grain of salt. Sometimes they help and sometimes they don't, depends on your application.

·
Registered
8,134 Posts

Do you like the way your car handles now? If so, don't get anything.
If you don't like the way your car handles now, what are you trying to fine tune? Front/Rear bars will change the handling bias in opposite directions, so knowing what you are trying to accomplish will help us, help you

EDIT:
After re-reading your post - I'd just go with the springs and dampers for now. Get some miles on those, and come back with handling dynamics you are trying to change - changing everything at once is sometimes a mistake. The Konis all by themselves will transform the way your car handles.

Modified by f1forkvr6 at 10:14 AM 6-21-2006

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Re: Life changin swaybar content> (f1forkvr6)

Quote, originally posted by f1forkvr6 »
Do you like the way your car handles now? If so, don't get anything.
If you don't like the way your car handles now, what are you trying to fine tune? Front/Rear bars will change the handling bias in opposite directions, so knowing what you are trying to accomplish will help us, help you

EDIT:
After re-reading your post - I'd just go with the springs and dampers for now. Get some miles on those, and come back with handling dynamics you are trying to change - changing everything at once is sometimes a mistake. The Konis all by themselves will transform the way your car handles.

This post is great advice. I agree with f1forkvr6. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Life changin swaybar content> (briang)

So I have given it a two days of driving to let the Koni/Eibach Pro's settle a bit. I have taken some rather fun turns. My Synopsis is as follows.
The front end is set full stiff at the moment and the car handles great. I feel as if I am almost feeling more power/torque due to the suspension front end. Steering feels solid very accurate. The rear is a little loose or maybe a lot loose. Still trying to figure what I am feeling. The rear struts also need to be Adjusted which I will be doing tomorrow hopefully. Its sounds silly but the instructions dont really make sense on how to adjust the rear Koni's.
<FlameSuitON>
do they need to be off/or can they be adjusted while mounted? Once this is done I will have a complete anaylsis.
Plus I am still working out some bugs on the front left strut mount. I have a little play that needs to be eliminated as usual in installs...there is always something

·
Registered
1,577 Posts

Does your car understeer into turns? Does it oversteer?
Does the body roll more in the rear or in the front?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Re: Life changin swaybar content> (Dragonfly)

this is a mk3. right?
well if the rear feels loose get a 3 way adj. rear sway.
you may want to camber the front in maybe -2.2 degrees in the front and leave the rear at the OE spec of -1.5 degrees
my mk3 golf is like this and i likes.

Modified by shwagondawheels at 7:23 PM 6-27-2006

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.