VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 24K on my '10, and it looks to me that I am soon going to have to replace the tires...

I don't do burnouts, and have rotated them regularly as prescribed... I am also still rolling 100% stock...

debtaing just throwing a set of dedicated snow tires on the factory rims and maybe upgrading the wheels next spring...

anyone have good snow suggestions...? I've used BLizaks LM-60's on my G8 in the past and they were awesome...

Just wondering if there's anything less pricey that'll do the same job...? :thumbup:

·
Registered
342 Posts
The top rated snow tire by Tire Rack (for whatever that's worth) this year was the Continental ExtremeWinterContact tires. They also happen to be cheaper. They also happen to be the tire that VW bundles in their winter packages. I've never used them, but I bought a set for this season.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
The top rated snow tire by Tire Rack (for whatever that's worth) this year was the Continental ExtremeWinterContact tires. They also happen to be cheaper. They also happen to be the tire that VW bundles in their winter packages. I've never used them, but I bought a set for this season.
Actually it looks like Tire Rack rankings show the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 as best performance winter, and Michelin X-Ice Xi2 as top rated studless ice/snow.. but those should be good as well

·
Registered
342 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've just installed Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 (set of 4) snows on my Golf, on 16" wheels...i got these tires in a width of 205. My stock setup was 17" wheels with 225 width tires. Not for nothing, but once my stock Continental tires wear out, you won't see me buying anything Continental. I've run and know enough people that have run Continental tires to know that there are much better tires for my money in any category.

My question to Diesel GLI is: Are you aware that narrower and taller tires improve traction in the snow and proves as a better winter setup? You want to INCREASE THE WEIGHT OVER LESS SURFACE AREA (relatively)...this improves adhesion/traction. My suggestion: don't use 18" rims in the winter and use a narrower tire.

I wanted to go 15" with 195 width tires, and probably could have, but there seemed to be some question over whether 15" wheels could have fit over my brake calipers. After that fact I hear that the JSW is the one where there would have been a problem, so apparently my Golf would have accomodated 15" rims.

The reason I preferred a smaller wheel over my stock 17s for the winter is that I had two low speed blowouts last winter on potholes with the 17s. With 18s you'd surely have to worry. Its real easy to pop these wheels because theres not much room for deflection when you hit a pothole and the rim cuts into the rubber right at the bead. No chance for repair. If I were you, I'd look for a cheap rim in a 16" with a narrow tire. don't worry, the handling is still really good, responsiveness goes down a hair, but you'll get your full performance back in the summer!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.