VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

· Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After lots of nice parts went on, they came off last week in preparation for today. Here's how the car sat yesterday:

At 11:30 this morning, Subaru bought the car back under Virginia's version of a lemon law. The vehicle spent 43 days out of service almost consecutively (the threshold in Virginia is 30 total calendar days out of service within 18 months, consecutive or not) and after those 43 days, the car went back three times for the same MIL triggered by an oxygen sensor. After an engine, turbocharger and body work due to (in my opinion) cost-cutting during assembly, it was time to call it quits. The dealership gave up on the oxygen sensor repair since they knew I had already initiated the repurchase process.

In the past 15 years, I've had almost 40 cars come through my garage. I've never had one bought back. To Subaru's credit, the process was painless. I sent them a demand letter and they called after receiving it. There was no quarreling and the only question I was asked was whether I wanted a repurchase or a replacement vehicle. I bought the car because I wanted something reliable that I'd never have to worry about and it failed me in that respect so I elected repurchase. They came close enough to making me whole that I'm happy even though I won't be buying another Subaru.

· Banned
18,536 Posts
Makes me feel better about not being able to find a 2010 to test drive, it's amazing how many of these cars have serious issues and Subaru acts like nothing is wrong and just keeps throwing new motors in. You would think they would be more interested in fixing the problem, especially after a few hundred motors and who knows how many buy backs.

· Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What are you going to buy next?
I think a Pagani is a reasonable replacement for an STi.

To crush the spirit of all his TCL fans, word on the street is he's getting a Ford F-150 Raptor and making it into a bro-dozer.
I saw one on the street a few weeks ago and it looked awesome. Too bad it doesn't tow.

Weird. This isn't the first one I've heard of with major problems. Has cost cutting gone too far at Subaru? I wish car manufacturers were forced to share major failure rates.
The cost-cutting involved clear mask on the leading edges of the rear wheel arches. They covered an area about the size of an index card then issued a bulletin stating that, should a customer complain about the sandblasting effect, the dealer was to repaint the affected areas and replace the clear mask with a piece approximately ten times the size. I found it to be annoying that it's a problem which would have cost 30¢ to avoid during assembly, but kept the car down for a three-week repair.

· Registered
1,669 Posts
I understand statistics, and I don't have inside information on many buy-backs, blown engines and faulty ringlands that have had to have been replaced. But I know two people who have had their 2.5T motors blow (STI and Legacy GT). And both of them took care of them and made sure the fluid levels were correct and maintenance was done at scheduled intervals.

I don't get this either. I was looking forward to checking out the '11 STI, but I'll pass now. They are shooting themselves in the foot with this engine. What's the point of watching Tommi Makinen set a lap time on the Ring when the typical STI purchaser is scared to even track it knowing what is happening to this engine? Bring us the 2.0T from Japan and be done with it, unless there is some emissions reason that it can't be sold over here. Mitsubishi, Audi and VW all have great turbocharged 2.0 liter engines that put our decent HP and great HP when tuned. Subaru's 2.5T makes no sense if it is so fragile. :mad:

· Registered
6,348 Posts
The cost-cutting involved clear mask on the leading edges of the rear wheel arches. They covered an area about the size of an index card then issued a bulletin stating that, should a customer complain about the sandblasting effect, the dealer was to repaint the affected areas and replace the clear mask with a piece approximately ten times the size. I found it to be annoying that it's a problem which would have cost 30¢ to avoid during assembly, but kept the car down for a three-week repair.
The real question is why was that a three week repair?

· Administrator
'83 GTI, 04 R32, '14 GLI, '15 GTI, '22 .:R
19,202 Posts
Makes me feel better about not being able to find a 2010 to test drive, it's amazing how many of these cars have serious issues and Subaru acts like nothing is wrong and just keeps throwing new motors in. You would think they would be more interested in fixing the problem, especially after a few hundred motors and who knows how many buy backs.
I had heard mumblings that Scooby was having issues, but what specifically is the big deal w/the new STI that folks are having issues with? You mention motors specifically.

Just curious.

· Registered
5,250 Posts
Good to hear they didn't fight you.

So does this disappointing attention to QC correlate with their purchase by Toyota?

· Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The real question is why was that a three week repair?
After having a car in a body shop for two and half years, I no longer question them. I'm convinced it's a dark art that can't be shared with the uninitiated.

I had heard mumblings that Scooby was having issues, but what specifically is the big deal w/the new STI that folks are having issues with? You mention motors specifically.

Just curious.
I can't speak for others, but my problem was a spun rod bearing on cylinder four. I was driving on the beltway from Radial Tire* and when I pulled into Mach V in Sterling, the engine sounded like a diesel. I dropped it off and the dealer called me later that day to tell me the obvious. They tried to feed me a line of crap about my engine oil looking "dirty" and I told them I wasn't falling for it. The oil had been in there for 3,006 miles and the level wasn't low. It then took them two weeks to call me and give me an update which was that Subaru approved the engine replacement. I told them to take as long as they wanted because as soon as it hit thirty days, the car was going to once again belong to Subaru. The car was done a week or so later.

While the engine was being replaced, I suggested they take care of the bulletin related to paint. I was told that they'd get to it later. When they did get to it, the out-of-service clock started ticking again.

* Radial Tire is hands-down the best place to buy tires in the DC area. If you buy slicks or R-compounds, they mount the tires for $12 because, "We race cars, too and know that racers are always on a budget." That kind of attitude combined with their great pricing and large inventory of tires (Who has 305/30-19 Hoosiers on hand? Radial Tire does.) makes them the only shop to use for tire needs.

· Banned
18,536 Posts

Just curious.
Pistons are very weak, and ringlands very thin. This combined with the, shaky at best, factory tune has caused a lot of pistons blowing apart even on bone stock cars.

· Registered
19,733 Posts
I can't speak for others, but my problem was a spun rod bearing on cylinder four. I was driving on the beltway from Radial Tire* and when I pulled into Mach V in Sterling, the engine sounded like a diesel. I dropped it off and the dealer called me later that day to tell me the obvious. They tried to feed me a line of crap about my engine oil looking "dirty" and I told them I wasn't falling for it. The oil had been in there for 3,006 miles and the level wasn't low. It then took them two weeks to call me and give me an update which was that Subaru approved the engine replacement. I told them to take as long as they wanted because as soon as it hit thirty days, the car was going to once again belong to Subaru. The car was done a week or so later.
The exact same thing happened with my Saabaru. Well it was slightly different, the engine blew on the way home from the dealership after buying the car. :what:

· Administrator
'83 GTI, 04 R32, '14 GLI, '15 GTI, '22 .:R
19,202 Posts
Wow.... that's crazy. That's what I had thought I had heard w/these engines and they were just as robust as the previous gen cars were. Just didn't have any first hand knowledge.

Also you are 100% correct about Radial Tire. Best place around to get tires and get them mounted. Most of the guys in the front office are racers/track junkies so you're spot on in saying they know what we need and want. I got my RA1's for my .:R there.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.