VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I've been reading through and have come to find that a lot of people actually have lifted their mk1's for one reason or another. I was hoping to compile a bunch of information from different threads to help myself and others in the future to find information. Here is what I have so far:

-Stock suspension with strut spacers and flipped drop brackets: seems to be popular with caddy's Pro's cheap and retains stock suspension components. Con: can be sketchy, and rear brake line fitment.

-Mk2/Mk3 springs with HD struts: Pros easy to instal and gives a good lift. Cons: on bumps the struts hit full travel, rides rough, and might require modification of the springs for clearance

-Custom valved rally struts/coil overs: Pros rides great and has improved valving Cons: $$$$

-Superbettle struts up front, HD mk2s in the rear, and stock springs: Pros gives a lift without moddifying much Cons: axles can hit control arms, and you still use stock springs.

-Aftermarket coil spacers or strut spacers: Pros keeps stock suspension Cons: no longer avaliable

Common parts used that may fit:
-superbettle front inserts
-mk2/mk3 springs (requires some modifications?)
-Audi 4000 springs
-Porsche 944 Springs and struts
-HD Stuts

This is just what I have found from reading on the forums and would love to see pictures of your setups and hear about your experiences!

·
Registered
66 Posts
On my 84 rabbit i used mk2 springs front and rear in monroe struts, too stiff and tall in the front , so i cut a loop off the front springs and thre them back on, got some 14 inch rims and tires. I still have to do a homebrew alignment, and replace radiator ( been in the 30s here and no garage, just carpet and a carport) but it evened out the ride height. I have been trying to avoid going higher as not to stress out drivetrain, i just wanted some clearence for getting to my fishing holes and some moderate trails riding. Been looking into spacers, but i have not to locate any and dont want my car unmobile to go to the home depot with the strut tops to look for spacers. What are you looking at building?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Automotive tire Line Gas Circuit component Auto part

Blue Office supplies Writing implement Cosmetics Pen

I modified some solo werks coilovers for my rabbit and extended my rear socks by fabricating a shock extension with spacers at the top. I addressed front alignment issues with these fancy mofos:

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Wood Automotive tire Engineering Bicycle part Machine

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Mk3 front springs drop right in.
Get ye some from the salvage yard.

Rear axle- Toyota pickup add-a-leaf.
You can get everything needed for this leaf spring upgrade from Orielies for like $120 inc larger u-bolts.

Aligns like stock
No shock extensions needed.

Get some junkyard Mk3 struts and double up on the bump stops.
You may use all your original shocks.
But you want the springs.

Now I never get harshness from potholes.
And it lands pretty good after catching a lil air.

Also keep in mind I’ve got an 02a and 100+lb ladder frame :p

This is from today.
With the mTDI and vnt turbo you can even hardly tell that I am launching up a hill that rwd pickups have difficulty simply driving up

Thebig clank after the jump was boxes and some scores from the scrap yard in the back bouncing on the bed, not the suspension

1 - 5 of 5 Posts