VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My QSW is badly needing a suspension update. I figured Ill give it a little lift while I'm at it.

Was thinking of using these mk3 bilstein rears off ebay for the rear with some kind of spacer to move the perch up a little. They are half the price of the HDs....

What do you think this setup would act like with the stock springs?

For the front I was going to use the OE replacement Boge gas shocks and lengthen the housings 2" and space the subframe an inch or so with the stock springs.

How does this set up sound? Post your set up.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Decided to go with mk3 kyb's in the rear with ebay coilover sleeves fitted to them with the stock springs. This will give me an adjustable lift.

I am thinking I will just replace the front struts, or maybe space them an inch. I don't think I want to go to all the trouble of cutting and welding and subframe spacing.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well no one finds this interesting. That's ok.

Got a bunch of parts:

Gonna have to figure out exactly what to do with the rear perches and springs.

I think I am just going to put some audi 90 springs on the front with the stock struts.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll get pictures soon. I got the back lifted but forgot to take many pictures like always...

Ended up buying some front strut housings off a member on the syncro list that have the spring perch cut and welded 1.5 inches higher. Then just stock kyb and stock springs.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it all done.

Stock struts and springs in the front with the perches cut and welded 1.5 inches up.

Kyb mk3 struts in the rear with the stock springs and a coil cut.

Raised it about 2 inches all around and it rides great on 4 new firestone winterforce 185/70/14 snows.

I am really happy with it. Check it:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Major thumbs up! Looks like you decided not to space the subframe??? From what I gather you would get another inch...but would it be worth it? prolly not. Good wright up and WELL DONE.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Looks great! Im getting ready to lift my QSW! I have three right now and plan lifting the one I just bought. One of them is already lifted but it was not done correctly and the strut reaches the top of it's travel on bumps and it's no good. I like the MK3 option in back. For the front Im planning on extending the housing 1 1/2" and raising the perch the same but putting a spacer at the bottom so the strut insert will have normal range of motion.

Did you wind up using the coil sleeves in back or just as you said.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, coil sleeves rode terrible. Just chopped the stock springs enough to fit and jammed em in. Rides decent.

·
Registered
151 Posts
What is the best way to lift a qsw?

·
Registered
151 Posts
subframe lift? taller coils? Doing some research, but I have not found much usefull info.
Thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
Nice video.

·
Registered
151 Posts
this is mine with a "mock up lift"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts