VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took my 13 gli to the dealer because one of my fogs is not working i tried to change the bulb and check the fuses but still i does not work. so i get a call from the dealer saying that its the light control module brunt because my headlights have a hid kit installed and they saying that warranty wont cover that because i have a hid kit and it brunt because of the hid kit.

what i dont get is that all the other lights work inculding the headlights and the other fog light. if the light control module is brunt woulnt not of my lihgt s work???? please guy if u can help me out i would appreciate it because they trying to get me to pay 900$ to fix it.

THANKS!!!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
This is what happens when you:

[A] Buy a crappy chinese HID kit
Install them in a reflective housing
[C] Cannot correctly spell "burnt"

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Not much info to go with to render assistance. Find someone with VCDS and get an auto scan. What HID kit did you use? The dealer may be justified in their position. Just because some lights work and others doesn't mean you didn't fry the lighting module. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing situation. The board / connectors going to the fogs could've taken the brunt of the damage.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not much info to go with to render assistance. Find someone with VCDS and get an auto scan. What HID kit did you use? The dealer may be justified in their position. Just because some lights work and others doesn't mean you didn't fry the lighting module. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing situation. The board / connectors going to the fogs could've taken the brunt of the damage.

one of the fogs still works its only one thats not working

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
one of the fogs still works its only one thats not working
And your point is what? You have two sets of wires, one goes to each fog light. The circuit to one could be damaged. You can doubt all you want or your can try to actually employ some basic electrical troubleshooting. Theres a chance the dealer actually performed the electrical troubleshooting and all you have done is talk. I tried to help you but you have not answered my question regarding what HID hardware you installed. No scan present in your post. Did you try disconnecting the battery? Did you try to do anything?

I'll just assume you used some cheap garbage HIDs and they did what cheap HIDs do to VWs....cause hardware failures. You wouldn't be the first and I doubt you'll be the last. Not doing your homework has consequences.

·
Banned
1,020 Posts
I know HIDs in reflectors are frowned upon but this shouldn't happen with HIDs from a reputable company like USP right?

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Nothing new to add that wasn't already added in the beginning of this thread.

Should have just spent the extra money on a 13 GLI with OEM xenons instead of being cheap and dropping in an eBay kit. Sorry to sound harsh, I'm sure I'll get the "not everybody haz money" rants but then maybe you should have looked at purchasing a less expensive car with OEM xenons, Mazda 3 perhaps? Or saved up the money to get an OEM Jetta xenon headlamp system.

Now off my rant I'll add something logical. Probably would have benefited from removing the HID kit before going to the dealer. Some dealers are OK and won't care about such a mod, others will look for any reason to dispute doing warranty work (aftermarket wheels, lowered, HID's, etc.). You could try another dealer but REMOVE the kit first.

·
Banned
1,020 Posts
Why?

What type power do these draw?

Do they replace the OEM wiring?
35 watt.

Idk if you'd call it replacing but the wiring harness connects to the factory connector.

These also use ballasts with built in CAN adapters. I'm not the best with electrical things so I don't know if that tells you all of what you need to know.

·
Registered
516 Posts
:thumbup:
Nothing new to add that wasn't already added in the beginning of this thread.

Should have just spent the extra money on a 13 GLI with OEM xenons instead of being cheap and dropping in an eBay kit. Sorry to sound harsh, I'm sure I'll get the "not everybody haz money" rants but then maybe you should have looked at purchasing a less expensive car with OEM xenons, Mazda 3 perhaps? Or saved up the money to get an OEM Jetta xenon headlamp system.

Now off my rant I'll add something logical. Probably would have benefited from removing the HID kit before going to the dealer. Some dealers are OK and won't care about such a mod, others will look for any reason to dispute doing warranty work (aftermarket wheels, lowered, HID's, etc.). You could try another dealer but REMOVE the kit first.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts