VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering the smoked side markers for my MK3 Jetta and I was told they will light up to be clear, not the amber anymore. Is this legal or do they have to be orange-ish. I have a 1998 so they dont blink with my front turn signals, so they arent techincally signal lights. While on this topic, can i dremel out the rears orange pieces so my rear signals are also clear instead of the orange, or will I have to put orange bulbs in? I guess same thing about the front signals; can I pry the amber lense off and just put back the clear lense?

·
Registered
2020 Mercedes A250 4Matic
18,530 Posts
Re: lighting laws in Ontario (edophile)

Side markers also function as reflectors when they are off, not just turn signals. They must light up amber in the front (red in the back) in the dark when light shines on them even if they are off. So you cannot get away with smoked or clear lense/reflector and a coloured bulb...technically speaking.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: lighting laws in Ontario (Hajduk)

Really? I just see lots of people with smoked/clear side markers that light up clear. How about the signals then? Can I dremel out the orange plastic piece and just put in an orange blub? I see some cars (BMW's, Benz's, etc) that come with stock clear signals. Can I run clear signals also?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Re: lighting laws in Ontario (edophile)

quote:[HR][/HR]Really? I just see lots of people with smoked/clear side markers that light up clear. How about the signals then? Can I dremel out the orange plastic piece and just put in an orange blub? I see some cars (BMW's, Benz's, etc) that come with stock clear signals. Can I run clear signals also?[HR][/HR]​
of course you can, doesn't matter if the lense is clear or orange, as long as the finally outcome is a orange light (which indicates a turn) whether you use a reflector and clear bulb or clear reflector and orange bulb does not matter. as you state, they are on bimmers,mercedes, etc.... so its totally legal. if you start changing colors like putting in blue bulbs etc...thats illegal.
lates...

·
Registered
2020 Mercedes A250 4Matic
18,530 Posts
Re: lighting laws in Ontario (mpmark)

quote:[HR][/HR]Really? I just see lots of people with smoked/clear side markers that light up clear. How about the signals then? Can I dremel out the orange plastic piece and just put in an orange blub? I see some cars (BMW's, Benz's, etc) that come with stock clear signals. Can I run clear signals also?[HR][/HR]​
Just because other people have clear/smoked side markers on their cars, does not makethem legal.
quote:[HR][/HR]of course you can, doesn't matter if the lense is clear or orange, as long as the finally outcome is a orange light (which indicates a turn) whether you use a reflector and clear bulb or clear reflector and orange bulb does not matter. as you state, they are on bimmers,mercedes, etc.... so its totally legal. if you start changing colors like putting in blue bulbs etc...thats illegal.
lates...[HR][/HR]​
What you say is true for turn signals but not side markers. Every car sold in Canada must have orange side marker reflectors in the front and red ones in the rear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts