VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well last night in Dallas, we got nailed with heavy rain and tons of lightning.
here is the result...
http://www.longcoeur.com/scirocco/various/deadtree/
scirocco content, glad the scirocco is parked inside the garage and safe.
cause it pretty muched missed the daily driver, the jeep and ford truck by about 15 feet. (that would of bee an inssurance nightmare...)

· Registered
1,393 Posts
Re: Lightning Strike at the Farm (mgyip)

Quote, originally posted by mgyip »

Yeah but the friggin ground shakes instead

I've lived here all my life and the worst that's happened to me personally in an earthquake is a plate fell over and broke. And that was in the big '89 quake.
Really, it's no big deal.

· Registered
2,077 Posts
Re: Lightning Strike at the Farm (ATS)

Glad the Rocco was in the garage!!
I came home yesterday and had a tree laying across the driveway and I just took my chainsaw in for a problem.
My son wished he had parked his pos rice burner in the driveway. take care, Ray

· Registered
1,864 Posts
Re: Lightning Strike at the Farm (Two-Point-Oh16V)

Quote, originally posted by Two-Point-Oh16V »

I've lived here all my life and the worst that's happened to me personally in an earthquake is a plate fell over and broke. And that was in the big '89 quake.
Really, it's no big deal.

DUDE!!!, don't go tempting fate now

Don't forget, the epicenter (Loma Prieta) was ~60mi. away.
You are living on top of the Northern Calaveras Fault and near to other historically dangerous fualts.
The Calaveras has seen M6 size quakes (1861) and some recent activity.
And the other two are large magnitude faults that are considered overdue:
Hayward (M7.0, last moved in 1868)
SF section of San Andreas (M8.3, last moved in 1906)
Remember Kobe?, some seismologists believe a quake on one of the two above faults could produce equally destructive losses.

I just hope I am outdoors and away from any large bldgs or fwy overpasses when the next one happens...

· Registered
4,669 Posts
Re: Lightning Strike at the Farm (Sirocco)

I happily live at ground level in a reinforced wood framed home on a floating foundation
Of course I'm only a few miles from the beach, so I could very well be in Tsunami range.
Lamest thing about earthquakes is there's no warning. Lightning can be like that too, but usually meteorologists can at least warn of the potential for strikes.
I was riding my motorcycle on the I10 when the Northridge quake happened and the freeway joints shifted and collapsed. It was nuts! At first I thought I had two flat tires.
It was really eerie to watch all the patches of power going out in various areas, and not others, like some giaganitc illuminated chess board. Luckily I was able to take the La Brea off-ramp and avoid the collapse.

· Registered
3,462 Posts
Re: Lightning Strike at the Farm (mgyip)

Quote, originally posted by mgyip »

Yeah but the friggin ground shakes instead

Yeah, we call that a "foot massager"! The only downside is, they never last very long.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.