VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am tring to decide on a new car. I have a 2000 mercury cougar that I want to get rid of. I just got my wife a 98 jetta gl and i have been very impressed with vw's. Now for the real ? I am wanting to get a vw also I would like to know if the golf and gti are two different cars. Or is the gti the higher end model golf. And if that is the case can you get a golf vr6 that is not a gti. And if any one could apox how much would a 98 go for i really donot like the a4 body style. thanks for the any help in advance. please excuse my grammer in a hurry.

·
Registered
11,502 Posts
Re: lil help with gti's (lunaemt)

the gti is a higher model of golf...2 door only. you cant get a golf vr6 unless someone has transplanted the vr6 into it. the golfs only came in 2.0. the best bet on finding how much 98's are would be to check blue book values and the like. im not sure exactly how much they'd be nowadays

·
Registered
20,861 Posts

golfs (MK3 golfs at least) only come in four door.
the GTi is the same drivetrain basically, just two door, and dressed in sportswear.
the VR6 is not available in golf form, only GTi.
MK3 also went to 99, by the way. the MK4's started in 99.5 technically. there ARE 99 MK3's out there, keep that in mind while looking.
you could get a 98/99 golf for under $8k, GTi for roughly the same, and GTi VR6 for maybe $11k.

·
Registered
9,035 Posts

The VR6 Golf is a Euro only model... does nothing for you in good old South Bend. Early on VW was putting 1.8t engine the MK4 4dr Golf. A good option if you need 4 doors and want a little "oomph" They can be hard to find though... they no longer offer the 1.8t in the 4 door golf. I believe it was only a option 2000 and 2001...

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Re: lil help with gti's (Volkscience)

Hey i'm from Indiana too, there is a dealer in Louisville KY that is pretty good they gave me a pretty staight forward deal on my gti i can't remember the name but when i do i'll post it, last time i was there they had tons of mkIIIs and i have a friend who works for a place that rebuilds wrecked cars and they only deal with them not the local dealership so they seem to be a pretty good place, Bachman's i think but not for sure http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
9,035 Posts

The 2.0l 4cyl is a 115hp mill. Cranks out heavy torque though, over 120ft lbs. Relitively tossable for a nose heavy car. You wouldn't think I'd have any fun driving the golf after driving the VR6, but it is fun. Don't expect to be running with Porsches though... just a fun car to drive.
The 1.8t 4cyl I mentioned above is a 155hp engine I believe. A 300$ chip will put you somewhere near 180hp and over 200ft lbs of torque. That's the car I would hold out for if I had to have 4 doors and a VW. I wish they still offered the 1.8t in the 4 door. Could be such a great sleeper.

[Modified by Volkscience, 2:52 PM 9-27-2002]

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: lil help with gti's (Volkscience)

Ok so now I would like to know if all you people with golfs 2.0 are happy with them or do you all wish youve gotten a gti vr6.
And thanks everyone for the info above.

·
Registered
21,570 Posts
Re: lil help with gti's (19 GTi VR6 98)

i believe the mk4 1.8T 2000 4dr golfs were 150bhp.

as for the 2.0, i wish i got a VR6 jetta instead
not to say this car isn't fun.... but it sure as hell aint fast either

·
Registered
20,861 Posts
Re: lil help with gti's (III)

okay, well i'm an odd ball, but i have a golf 2.0 and bought a jetta VR6 for fun. i hate the VR6, the 2.0 is so much more fun. the VR6 is for sale, i took it out yesterday for the first time in a month, only to show a potential buyer.

·
Registered
7,665 Posts

To clear some things up, all GTIs are Golfs, but not all Golfs are GTIs. The GTI was available in 2.0L 8v and 2.8L 12v (VR6) form in the MK3. It was also called the Golf Sport in it's early years, however only had a 2.0L 8v available at the time.
Performace wise, the 2.0L is pretty gutless compared to alot of the new sport compacts out there. Realisticly, it pretty much compares with the Civic DX performance wise. The VR6 on the other hand is has similar performance to the Integra GSR. One thing you will notice in VW is the low end torque and very wide torque and HP band. The VR6 in particular is very smooth, and has been voted by many magazines as one of the sexiest sounding engines of all time.
If you are looking for a fast car, the 2.0L is probably not your best bet. It is however a very capable car in terms of handleing and everyday drivability, and it's more economical than the VR6. My suggestion as a 2.0L owner is go for the VR6, you will be happier with it in the long run. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
332 Posts
Re: lil help with gti's (EchoOfGecko)

I just payed 10.5k for mine 58k miles 97 GTI VR6. Look around you can find them in pretty good shape here and there. I've had VR6 envy since I had my first VW (2.0L) almost 4 years ago. Go with the VR6 the first time. Trust me. OR...go with the 2.0L and when (if) you get your VR6 you'll enjoy it THAT much more.

·
Registered
21,570 Posts
Re: lil help with gti's (EchoOfGecko)

the gecko is a 2.0?!!?

another one i thought was a VR6 for the longest time. shiz i even thought ABT CUP was a VR til i seen the dubnation shots

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.