VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 326 Posts

·
Registered
Nine diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, six months ago my friend and fellow VW diesel enthusiast, as well as resident mechanical genius texts me a couple of photos of a car that he saw sitting in a field while driving back from up North.

Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Wheel Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

I was thinking probably 300K miles with half a rusty engine hanging by a mouse nest. Anyway, I figured that I had bargained every chip I had to get spousal permission for all of the half finished projects and parts cars that I already have, with a solemn promise on my part, to get rid of one, before acquiring any more.

Fast forward through swapping the engine on my beloved daily driver Caddy from the 1.9D that I have driven for the past decade to a 1.6TD K24 that I had built over a couple of years.

After the The Wife got to drive the truck with the new engine built by me and tuned by @fastinradford, she suggested that maybe another 'parts car' would be OK with her if it was another one of them sweet little 1.6TDs, like she just test drove. 😘

I didn't wait for her to change her mind. I made the call. They still had it and just wanted it to go away. 1985 1.6L TD Jetta.

I figured it would be junk, but I thought I could take the engine, or whats left of it, as a spare and ditch the rest. Maybe there would be some useful interior bits for my MK1 Jetta Restomod that already has a 1985 Jetta interior.

So, I went and met a very nice gentleman and new friend who is really into old internationals and Jaguars, but he drives VW Jettas. Still does.

His favorite and most prized VW was this 86 5-Cylinder AWD Quantum wagon. It gets garage space over some of the Jags.

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior

He said that this 85 TD just never ran right for him. He had just put a freshly rebuilt head from ?? on there along with a bunch of new parts, but it ran so bad when he started it that he hadn't touched it again for four years and just didn't want to even look at it anymore. He sold it to me for a nominal fee and signed over the clean title noting that he had only managed to put 6K miles on it since he bought it 10 years ago.

So, as I'm looking over this 'parts car' there is a problem. It's too nice to part...

My good friend and VW diesel guru; @fastinradford agreed that this Little Red Jetta deserves a chance. So we freewheeled it down to dub city.

Not 24 hours later, Fast has it running with some adjustment to the IP timing along with a few other tweaks and fluids.

Now we either have the nicest donor car I've ever seen or maybe Little Red has come along to make the greatest sacrifice of all to my MK1s and become my new daily?!!?

Two days ago I would have said that I had no interest in the MK2 platform, (except to for parts for MK1) but you know, I never saw one up close or like, ended up owning a complete runner with 95K original miles.

Needs brakes and electric, but It's kind of cute. Let's get it going and stopping then see how it handles. Even has good tires, though on goofy wheels.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking for the paint code.

Is this Gambia or Titian?

Not in the door jamb, not on the radiator support as far as I can tell.

Looked around in the trunk. Could it be in the spare tire well? I'll check tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could still just swap the motor for a 1.6NA, flip it and be done with it.

But, then I took a test drive. Then She took a test drive. Ride along with us.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
I was surprised to hear mokoosh say it might be as fast as his mk1 1.6td caddy.
And that’s one healthy truck!!!

Before anyone spends significant time piloting this beast, the mice must go!!!
Mice ate through the screen for the hvac.

Some electrical work needs done, and why not start out with a deep. Deep. Clean?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dash located. Only costs twice as much as the car did. Well, it's out, so what the hey, right?

Ditto a good suspension. I'm thinking B6s with Passat springs. Perhaps Moog for the other bushings.

Any advice would be welcome.

Do note that we raise, rather than lower, Rabbits round here's in the Backwoods. 😉

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Looking for the paint code.

Is this Gambia or Titian?

Not in the door jamb, not on the radiator support as far as I can tell.

Looked around in the trunk. Could it be in the spare tire well? I'll check tomorrow.
Check the trunk floor and also the owners manual if it still has it for the build option label

Font Electronic device Technology Rectangle Temperature

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
I have been having good luck figuring out the wiring so far!

The p. O. Had apparently stolen the x contact relay as well as the glow plug relay.
Fun times!

Used a Mk4 relay 100 for the x contact and a mk1 glow plug relay and now the glow plugs work!

And the hvac fan works! Good thing it didn’t work when the box was full of mousiness

So my good luck hit a stump looking into the wipers.

Car has under 100k and it shows, but this is some mad hackery, mildly annoying.

Some previous owner had wipers hooked to an antique lights switch… but somehow if you put the wires from his switch positive and negative to the battery lo and behold the wipers work.
It did not work with his switch.

Riddle: how many solders does it take to fix wipers?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
While Fast was wrenching, I was emptying the bank account. Yesterday's purchases include:

Bilstien B6 HD front shocks
Passat springs
KYB performance rear shocks
Stock rear springs
Solid control arm bushings
Rain tray from Ukraine
Uncracked dash from 91 Jetta TD
Hazard light switch (used tested)
Cabin air intake screen
Alternator wire plug replacement end
Various belts and hoses
Headlight bulbs
Bentley's A2 manual

That's what I can recall off the top of my head, this morning, anyway. Needless to say that I spent x10 what I paid for the car.

Still looking for a nice set of front seat belts. We have MK1 belts in there now. Problem is they are too short. I can make it work for me because I can slide the seat all the way back.

Fast jokingly said we should just get a sticker that says 'no fat chicks'. I don't think that's gonna fly with The Wife. I might just try some cheap universals. If anyone has a suggestion for a quality replacement, I'm listening.

As for the color, I never did find a paint code sticker. However, I did discover A2resource

Based on their photos and the chart that shows Gambia as only offered on base models and Titian only on GLs, I believe that we have a Titian Red LB3V.

Reactions: Willi-The-Red13

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
This is going to be a gem once mokoosh has it up to his standards :)

Such a pleasure working on a car that for the most parts have never been replaced.

I don’t think the engine or the trans have ever been out.
And one swipe removes every speck of dirt from behind the dash.

Doing a valve cover upgrade to the late model rubber one.

HOW LUCKY to score a turbo diesel, That was easy to get running,
That looks like THIS INsIDE!

It also needs a turbo oil return line repaired then should be leak free!!!

It’s always hard tearing into a car that works.
But it’s goona be so worth it. Being a west coast car it is 98% rust free.

Battery tray and some touch up work and this could turn out to be a 9/10 car.

After we fix the wiring and replace the dash… and suspension…. Shhhh I better get back to work. Lots to do!

But I like that better than nothing to do!
I worked on some god awe-full Mk2 bio diesel cars that made me sad.

This car has good vibes in spades.
So far it is 3/3 for making the drivers emotionally attached.
It’s really sad the po never got it running well. The fuel was so low it was like a 1.6na.
Now… now it spins the tires:)
And we haven’t even tuned the boost or even put on a boost gauge.

Has some hella wiring gremlins tho some corrosion in the relays and fuse box. We got work cut out and it ain’t goona be easy.

But a more perfect match for a fleet, there never has been vehicle more perfect than this.
Mokoosh is hardcore mk1 guy and it was maybe goona be a parts car but it jumped right back to life. But this Mk2 has a mk1 trans and engine essentially.

Undeniable it was
Meant. To. Be.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Now this car has a rougher idle than it should.

It also studders returning to idle.

So using mokoosh’s nice idi injector rebuild station,

Started off testing all injectors to get a baseline. They had fairly uniform breaking pressures .. between 2100 and 2200 psi.

However, cyls 1/2/4 all had pissing injectors.

Infact take a look at how dirty the clean diesel got just going through the injectors. ..
I can only hope that the pump is in better shape….

Although… the boost pin that came in this engine is so pitiful. The question : grind your own custom boost pin, or buy a pin with actual performance potential. All the more impressive, the performance from this titan red beast.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Did everyone’s favorite job, pulling the turbo!
Which requires removal of the driver rear motor mount bracket.

All to fix the oil return line, but tell me if this turbo doesn’t look new or at least rebuild. , car has 95k.
I suspect the car got a NEW turbo at the dealer, only a short time ago (this car drove 6k miles in the last 10 years) which might have been in the 90s, but may only be 10-20k ago. If even that. Car scoots already (after some tuning ;p)

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Turbo info tag
Nice work! Thanks for documenting the turbo while it was out.

I think this car got very lucky falling into the right hands. 😊

Today, the hunter returns with:

Universal seat belts.
VDO oil pressure, oil temp, and boost vision gauges.
VW 1985-86 shop wiring book.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
titan red
That would be a righteous color name, but we have a Titian.

Titian: Italian renaissance painter of the 16th century.

Painting Art Chest Drawing Illustration

Don't worry, it's art. Note the red curtains. No! Not those curtains.

Reactions: dviking mk2
1 - 20 of 326 Posts