1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
PMLyf's Jetta build / restore

Figured i'd make a little thread.

Yes i know, not G12
I got a 96 jetta last year, really high mileage, poorly taken car of and is now broken (2.0) So i decided to finish building up the vr6 i had in the garage, I mean start building....

But its my first time swapping an engine, and I figured I could use the internet people to help. Feel free to let me know your $00000.02

Anyways, I just got the block off the ground and onto the stand. All I have as of now are the Vr6 head/block and radiator. Ive been bargain hunting, trying to be cheap but smart.

Dont worry, not asking for a parts list, already got that sorted out.

What I do need help with is the vr6 block/head. I did a leak test and none of the valves showed signs of being bent. Even cranked the cam to open them up and inspect. But im worried about the block, as far as I know the engine had a blown head gasket and was 75k miles on it. Not to mention when I tipped it over water came out of the cooling ports from the head. The oil was brown too, so Im thinking someone put water in the coolant instead of coolant...

Im sure the head will need to be resurfaced. Guy told me he'd belt sand it for $35 but I have to remove the valves first, which I do not know how to do yet, but ill find out soon.

Then Im worried aboutt he block, it sat on concrete so i hope it doesnt have any cracks.

Anyways, ive already got parts in route such as gaskets, and a few sensors. Im trying to source a transmission locally for cheap. Tomorrows plans are to strip the interior and find out if its even worth it (rust :banghead: )

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Today I got a hoist, preparing to remove the 2.0 and then spicen up the bay. Kind of stuck. The wiring harness is mostly free, except where it connects to the fuse box. Not sure if I should label anything or just disconnect everything and remove it since ill need a vr6 harness anyways.

Starting to notice all the little spots of rust/ bare metal. Have a lot of work ahead of me!

Also, ripped interior out. Havent finished removing the sound material. Was actually surprised, not as bad as i thought it would be down there. But again, havent finished removing the materials. Just trying to assess the rust while the car is down.

Notice the giant hole where someone put a jack... PO failed hard with this car.

This... Pulled out the rubber stop on drivers side rear wheel well. A fair bit of rust.
Its raining, and im working in a couple hours. Till tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, I have been in search desperately for a transmission. Found a 02a from a 97 golf, unknown mileage (said it was sitting in the garage for a while) and he wants $675 for it.

Im trying to be on a budget, but i also found a 02m from a 2001 jetta vr6. Unkown mileage as well, but only wants $250 (too good to be true?).

I figure, if i get the 02m, it will probably even out with the price of extra parts i need right? Also, for a first project, will welding in new trans mounts be too difficult for a novice?

And then what if the transmission is toast... out of $250 plus any parts i have to buy for it (same could situation for the 02a). Guy says he knows nothing about the transmission because he never drove the car.

I dont have a bently, so im doing this swap based on threads Ive been lurking for a while. Im referencing to this for the 02m

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Get an 02A. Get a Bentley manual. Quick like.

02a unknown for 6hufaffafwut? No way man. Absurd. An unknown 02A is +-200 region, all depending solely on buyer/seller eyeballing it etc. Keep hunting, be patient.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But 02m 6 speed for 250 is really temping.

Also, I was wondering. If I remove both cv nuts, can I lift the engine out with the axles still connected?

If I do go 02m im thinking of sourcing a sub frame and modifying the mounts for the 02m while its off the car.

Considering the current sub frame has a large cut in it from a stupid friend that I let change a control arm...

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
You would have to do other mods. To make it legit, it would have to be like:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...o2m-6-speed-into-mk3-12v-VR6-(Pictures-Fixed)
http://www.generalprinciple.com/02m

You'd have to WANT or NEED to put it in. I promise you, it would cost more than the cost of a solid 02a +-100k. It's such a strong trans.

Other tips I could think of. File away your work area every once in a while. Keep it neat. Keep clean dry rags stuffed in any open intake/exhaust/sparkplug/injector holes, except when new gaskets are going on, ready to be mated to other part. Keeping cardboard on the ground can pad you or absorb some fluids.

Looking forward to more :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You would have to do other mods. To make it legit, it would have to be like:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...o2m-6-speed-into-mk3-12v-VR6-(Pictures-Fixed)
http://www.generalprinciple.com/02m

You'd have to WANT or NEED to put it in. I promise you, it would cost more than the cost of a solid 02a +-100k. It's such a strong trans.

Other tips I could think of. File away your work area every once in a while. Keep it neat. Keep clean dry rags stuffed in any open intake/exhaust/sparkplug/injector holes, except when new gaskets are going on, ready to be mated to other part. Keeping cardboard on the ground can pad you or absorb some fluids.

Looking forward to more :thumbup:

I am really considering the 02m, but im worried about the axle situation. Its going to cost a bit to get them resized, but i also wonder if they will work with 2.0 break/hub parts? Ive still been searching, found another company with 02A, but wants $600 - 800 for it depending on mileage.

$250 + axles & resizing + moving the mount + slave cylinder and a few other parts adds up to about the same.

If i find a 02a ill jump on it, since ill also be able to re use the 2.0 axles. But for now 02m is all i have found to be worth while.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Feeling a bit discouraged about this build today. Drove 600 miles last night to pick up a transmission, ended up having a cracked bell housing.

Also had a tire shred on me while i was down there, thought i wouldnt make it back. However, I did come home with all 4 doors and a black dash for $60!

·
Registered
769 Posts
Looks like you're losing your pants there dude... :laugh:

Feeling a bit discouraged about this build today. Drove 600 miles last night to pick up a transmission, ended up having a cracked bell housing.

Also had a tire shred on me while i was down there, thought i wouldnt make it back. However, I did come home with all 4 doors and a black dash for $60!
:( That sucks dude, seller should've told you about something as glaring as a cracked bell housing. :thumbdown:
Good to hear you came out kicking though! Like where this is going, in to see progress! :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just lost $100...

Was going to get a gls today for $1000, guy ripped me off. Im too nice, was trying to negotiate for his convenience. gave him $100 to ensure he doesnt sell to someone else over night, so he can take his son to dinner for his birthday... This morning when i got off at 7 am, i texted him to bring it over. He came at 9:48 cause thats when he texted me. I looked out side and he was gone. So we texted him back trying to find him, no reply. So we called him, no answer. I realize that he was rejecting calls from my wifes phone...

Call him on my phone. he picks up first ring. When he realizes who it is he tells me the deal is off cause he waited outside for 12 minutes.... Also told me he was keeping the $100 and the car was already in the shop getting the speed sensor fixed so i can only buy it if i pay more...

damn i was so pissed, wanted to go over there with a baseball bat and a couple friends. ****, down $100... Now he is telling me $1300 for it if i really want it. He already stole $100 from me :mad:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not much has been done, was having a hard time finding a reliable way to work.

So I got another one! But now I dont have to rush the build, give me more time to pay attention to details.

Coo thing is now I have something to do with all those 2.0 parts that I bought. 192k on this one. Already swapped on the head from the other block because it was newer.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well plans changed a bit. I picked up a 3rd jetta (97 wolf) for $150! Engine completely running. My daily had a few issues along the way so I ended up taking a few parts off of it and swapping with the wolfsburg. Timing belt snapped a couple days ago, couldnt turn the cam shaft so i swapped heads. Daily is running well but now I need to rebuild one of the 3 aba heads I have laying around.

Ended up taking the engine and tranny out for the original project because my wife needs a car. Funny how money always changes everything. Got it out tonight, have to put a new clutch in and then move all of the harness and interior from the wolf to the original project.

The VR6 is starting to seem like a project that will have to wait, none the less I still have the head and block as well as a **** load of parts I have collected for Vr's over the past few years. Ill continue to build it and one day swap it in. But for now another 2.0 is going in.

I am going to have so many spare parts laying around, this makes 3 sets of doors. But Im debating if I want to let my wife take the good stuff (disk brakes, glx tails, auto folding mirrors and power windows)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
took the wheels off the wolf which were covered in rust. Sanded and painted black.
Also took the trunk because mine had holes for the wing and were letting water get into the trunk. Plus it matched the black grill and wheels.

Any ways, this is how it sits now. Still waiting to go lower!

Also converted to disks (from the wolf)

As far as the exterior goes i need to remove some dents on the fenders, find a door molding (or set), and paint. Only rust on the car right now is on the sides of the trunk. You can see where I sanded it down and put primer but the rust came right through that so tape to keep water out!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You guys are probably going to hate me for this. But I think it was worth it. Destroyed the cat on a speed bump... and I'm at stock height :confused:

Had someone weld me up a test pipe.
So now its just a res and muffler. It's LOUD but not louder than the deadly rattles coming from that cat.

My car is officially stupid.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.