VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 297 Posts

·
Registered
21,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, I've been on a house hunt for a while now.

After getting my over-asking offers rejected multiple times (and f'ing up one deal with an amazingly sized garage), I'm finally under contract on a house. Just had the inspection done this weekend. Don't even have the results yet but am getting cold feet. The problem (aside from feeling like I'm overpaying by this thing in this insane market)? It's a 1951 build and has a one-car garage. I've had big dreams of doing a GarageJournal-style build but I can't help but think that a one car garage is just unworkable for something like that. So, I have come to TCL for help. Is it possible to be a happy car guy with a one-car garage or will I regret this purchase? Also, those of you in the industry, am I insane for buying in this market?

The house and garage at issue.

My measurements sucked because there was so much crap in there. Ballpark 12-13" ft wide, maybe 18-19" ft deep? The red-circled items can be used as reference points:

From the garage door in, there's a work bench in that extended area to the left of the door, then the interior laundry room intrudes slightly into the garage and cuts off the workbench area (you can see the intrusion in pic #2, where the conduit is running on the side of the intrusion (to the right of the ironing board):

From the back door, looking toward the garage doorm

The house and oversized 2-car garage I missed out on. This was one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made, TCL. I can tell the story if anyone cares but the short of it is that I'm a moron.

Given the state of the market and a possible drop in housing prices, I could be stuck in this thing for a while. So, TCL, should this garage be a deal-breaker?

·
Registered
25,846 Posts
I've lived with a one car garage for 10+ years. It's not ideal--I'd like more storage, and the width makes it a bit tough to work on anything. But it's better than what I had before, which was street parking.

Just buy the house. It's a nice place, well-kept, and I think you'll quickly build equity in it. The place with the two car garage would have been a money pit even before you got to the cosmetic updates. You can stuff the 993 or other project car in the garage and still have one car in in the driveway (at least)--that's still a win.

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
Personally, I couldn't do it. You'll reset the lack of space every day you own the house, and moving is very expensive after broker fees and closing costs.

·
Registered
88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
23,817 Posts
First off, I think buying a house in the current market is crazy in general unless you feel like you will be comfortable with your purchase for a good long time. The inventory is at all time lows, people are paying ridiculous amounts of money, and when the inventory comes back IMO a lot of people that are buying now are going to be stuck.

So if you are already having second thoughts and you aren't in any kind of crazy need to make a move. I'd personally wait for the right place. We almost settled for two houses a few years back when we were shopping and looking back on them I am SO glad we didn't compromise. We ended up finding our dream home (and my three car garage and a barn) and quite frankly I feel like I will be buried here.

My last long term rental had a one car garage and it sucked. We had three cars so two of them always needed cleaning, snow brushed off, shuffle them around and hope storms weren't too bad. Obviously you won't have to worry about snow but it is still a pain in the ass depending on the driveway and access to garage door.

I'd pass. I'd also be interested in hearing your story about the house you missed out on. :popcorn:

·
Premium Member
5,732 Posts
Don't do it. You'll forever regret it. Trust me. We moved from a 3 car to a 2 car and it sucks. More so because we have no basement for storage, and because we have a classic it effectively means I'll never park my car in the garage (my wife gets the 'free' side in the winter months because she has to drive to work every day. She cannoned my recent plans to put a lift in....

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
We are closing on a new place in a couple weeks and two-car garage/ two-car-wide driveway was a must-have. I can only imagine your challenge though, as it's tough to find something decent with that here under $400k. Where you live, that price target could be double or more, I don't know.

·
Registered
379 Posts
How long do you plan to stay in this house? If more than 8-10yrs, then I would look for one that has the 2-car garage that you want. if you want to park 2 cars inside, you will regret your decision for a long time.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
I can't tell from this pictures, but is there enough room to extend current garage, and add another 10-15 feet?
looks like there is a driveway going to the side gate... what is behind a gate? Can you build standalone shop on the back?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
You’re lucky you have a 911 as they’re pretty small. I had a deep one car when I had my 1970 911 and it was ok. The jobs that sucked involved taking the wheels off or having the doors open. That garage looks a little wider than mine was but it’s still going to be a compromise vs a nice two car. If you love the house maybe expanding the garage is an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44,071 Posts
Gene Berg said it best. "Buy the best and cry once."

Of course with a house you can cry every month, but unless you can expand that garage (and in a reasonable timeline) you'll almost certainly rue the day you decided to compromise for expediency.

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
2021 RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2010 A6 Avant, 2002 Chevy 2500, 1988 16v Scircco
9,751 Posts
For me, yes. Especially after just getting into a house with a 2.5 car garage. I already wish I had a 3 and have begun planning building a 3.5. You will be amazed how quick the space gets eaten up with crap.

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
I just want to know the asking price for that house with no 2nd floor or basement in your location. Current owner is apparently using it for storage (including dead bodies), so where will you keep your stuff?

I have a no car garage, so you'd still be beating me.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
don't settle .. get something exactly you need/fits your needs. We're in this house for the last 3 years and we've outgrown it .. people and car wise :laugh:.

You know you'll need a 2 car garage, look for homes that are 2+ minimum. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
It looks like it can easily (there's enough room) be extended, so I'd say go for it if you're OK doing that...
Side thought: will it fit a lift? :p

Personally, I wouldn't even try for a single car garage knowing I wanted 2-car. When purchasing any expensive thing you're going to keep for awhile, never settle. You may be able to deal with it for the first year, or second... but what about 3 more years? 5? 10?

Side-side thought: In the current market, everything we wanted we had to jump on way too quickly, and most of it was still not "perfect" and fixer-uppers. 2-car garage was a requirement as well (2 cars, it snows).
We eventually decided to purchase a new home (new build) and the cost was not much more than others - and we're not dealing with all the old homes and the crazy market.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I've got a wide 1 car garage (about 12ft). It's perfectly fine, and enough room to work as long as you don't line the walls with crap. Car gets parked to one side, with room on the other to walk and work from.

No, you're probably not going to fit a lift and a tire machine, but be realistic about what you're using it for.

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
I think you'll make it work as a single guy, as long as you're content with having 2 cars max.

Gotta be a multi-millionaire to have a large detached garage in Los Angeles. Or find a place with an 80 year old deteriorating barn on a $1 million parcel of land like Toretto did :p

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
I think the bigger question is buying a house in this market vs. the actual one car garage.

There's a lot more room for prices to go down than up IMO.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Cali is an insane housing market - not envious of your position.

Can be a good thing - limits the ability for you to buy cars you probably don't need?

Driveway looks to be of a decent size as well...could be worse!

Finally...along the left side of the house there is a large gate ...do you have enough backyard space to build a 2 car garage in the back corner of the back yard? Could be a 2-3 years out sorta plan.

1 - 20 of 297 Posts