VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
A3 etron, Volt
9,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GF and I are going down to NC to pick up her old car, a currently non-running E36. Thing is, it won't start and we aren't going to fix it until it's back in our area. How would we go about loading it onto a car carrier? Would something like a come-along be OK to use? Home Depot for example has this, which is quite affordable:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Maasdam-...-30-1-Leverage-Winch-Puller-144SB-6/100154056

I'd put one end on the tow hitch and the other end around the subframe somewhere. Is there a better tool for the job?

·
Registered
A3 etron, Volt
9,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can get electric winches if you're near a power source, they're super handy for that sort of thing. They're a couple hundred bucks usually though.
I thought about it, but we'd rather keep it as cheap as possible. It's definitely an option, though. I want to make sure we do it safely, but inexpensively.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I'd put one end on the tow hitch and the other end around the subframe somewhere. Is there a better tool for the job?
well, depending how strong the girlfriend is... she can be. if she has any brothers or ex bfs down there, it would be fun to bring a 12 pack and share after they all push it on.

·
Registered
A3 etron, Volt
9,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Other than an electric winch mounted on the trailer.... or manpower to push... that may be the best solution.
The problem is we don't really know anyone around that area :laugh:. Just her step-father and mom. I doubt the 3 of us would be able to get it up the ramp of the carrier, though, as it's fairly steep. We may try that first though.

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
When the halfshaft broke in my wife's Civic, a buddy and I pushed it up onto a U-haul dolly. It took a few running starts and failed attempts, but we got it. Getting it off again at the shop was much easier.

For you, a come-along could work, but I don't know if the one in that pic is big enough. Remember, you've got to get it to go uphill. A snatch block would double your pulling force. Also, it might help to have some rope or chain to get more length than just the cable on the come-along.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Did that recently with a few different cars. Get some buddies and push. Depending on ride height you might need a jack or pieces of wood for the ramps/car. Lightest person steers. Don't use a hill to help.

·
Registered
A3 etron, Volt
9,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When the halfshaft broke in my wife's Civic, a buddy and I pushed it up onto a U-haul dolly. It took a few running starts and failed attempts, but we got it. Getting it off again at the shop was much easier.

For you, a come-along could work, but I don't know if the one in that pic is big enough. Remember, you've got to get it to go uphill. A snatch block would double your pulling force. Also, it might help to have some rope or chain to get more length than just the cable on the come-along.

Running starts will be harder as I believe it's in an uneven gravel lot, but that's also on our mind. We will in all likelihood try manpower first, I'm just pondering buying a tool we can use in case we need it. Will look into a snatch block, thanks.

·
Banned
13,776 Posts
The problem is we don't really know anyone around that area :laugh:. Just her step-father and mom. I doubt the 3 of us would be able to get it up the ramp of the carrier, though, as it's fairly steep. We may try that first though.
What type of carrier are you using?
I loaded a lowered non-running golf on to a uhaul full car carrier with a couple people. The hardest part was when the control arms were riding the inner lips of the platform. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I race in lemons so this is a common occurrence for us. Besides pushing it onto the trailer, the other option is to use a tow strap or tie down ran between the car's tow hook and the back of the trailer, tow it to a small incline facing downhill, then park the truck and trailer in front of it. Then you can sit in the car and ease down onto the trailer at your leisure while riding the brakes (assuming they work). Advantage - hell of a lot quicker.

Just make sure when you're loading on a hill like this truck has the parking brake on and is NOT ON RAMPS to make the trailer approach angle lower. Made that mistake once. Parking brake only works on the rear wheels, whole truck, trailer, and car combo started rolling down the hill. Luckily the truck had a bench seat because I ran in from the passenger side door and dived to get the brakes with my hand before it slid into my neighbors garage.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I've done this a number of times. Let me break down the options for you:

1 - Push. Depending on the car, the carrier, and the people you have handy, this can work really well or be completely impossible. You're probably in the 'impossible' camp or you wouldn't be asking. People who have big friends and can push a car up a trailer already know they can. :) If you're on the fence, use nature to your advantage. A hill, a curb, a ditch, some longer 2x10 boards, or the like, and you can make your life a lot easier with this method.

2 - Use another vehicle to tow the broken vehicle up the trailer. This is super-risky, and I've damaged a car or two doing this. Usually when prepping them for the scrapyard, so I wasn't being careful. You put a long strap on the broken vehicle and use a third vehicle to tow it up the trailer. This only works on open trailers/carriers, and the biggest risk is that you'll pull the towed vehicle off the side of the ramps or trailer because of the angles involved. Jackknife the truck that the trailer is attached to (to get it out of the way) and get the straightest pull you can. It's still not a great idea, and is just one step away from being a 'here, hold my beer for a sec' method.

3 - Come-alongs - These are terrible for one big reason - they only pull 2-ish feet at a time, and then you have to find some way to hold the vehicle while you disconnect and re-position the straps or chains you're using with the come-along. The parking brake won't be enough. I strongly recommend against this method.

4 - Hand winch - Like one of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/2000-lb-capacity-geared-winch-5798.html Slightly more expensive than a come-along, but under $30 and these work pretty well. You'll get a workout, and it will be painfully slow, but it will generally work and is FAR safer than methods 1, 2, or 3. ******* pro-tip: Rig up some way (like a welded nut) to drive the handle with an impact wrench. You'll get done in a fraction of the time and you've now created your own electric winch for $200 less than the real thing. The reason this is so cheap is that the gear in the winch will last about 3 pulls when driving it this way, even if you add grease. Might still be worth it.

5 - If you do this often enough, it's worth the $200 on an electric winch. Makes the whole process so easy you'll go looking for broken cars just to load and unload them. For one-time use I wouldn't bother, though.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
O come on..... I have pushed 3 or 4 cars onto a uhall carrier with me and another dude. I can also hall a pinball machine out of my basement myself in a have to situation so I could be a beast and not know it.

You have some options, you can use the starter to blip the car on at worst worst worst case. You might kill the starter FYI.

You can rig a pulley system and a child can pull it on but that will be very slow going.

You can push it on with another vehicle. If you really really have to and you don't care about the trailer you can block the cars back wheels and back the trailer right under the car. You can add to this by jacking the car up and backing the trailer under it.

·
Banned
13,776 Posts
Penske car carrier, looks like this:
Looks like the uhaul one. 2-3 people should be able to get it up on the trailer.
But it would not hurt to pick up a come along just to be safe.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.