VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so this question is ... 2007 Jetta passenger rear door interior the Lock icon / switch is orange( yellow ? ) driverside door is not lit up at all ..when I hit unlock on drivers door light goes out when I hit lock it lights up orange .

Does not make any difference with the child lock in any position

Door seems to work normally

Any ideas ? or is this normal ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am probably not explaining it correctly

So lets try this

Interior of vehicle 3 door locks are not lit 1 rear door is lit orange ( like a warning color )

All 4 doors are locked and seem to operate correctly ..just seems strange that only one door is lit up ( this being the lock/unlock button )

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Here's how it works on my car (2009 GLI):

When the headlight switch is off, and a door is unlocked, the lock switch on that door isn't illuminated at all.

When the headlight switch is on, and a door is unlocked, both parts of the switch on that door (upper with the "unlock" icon, and lower with the "lock" icon) are red. The red color of the icons on the door lock switches is only there to show where the switches are in the dark. They only light up red when the headlight switch is on -- just like all the other red switch icons around the car.

An amber icon anywhere on these cars (other than a dashboard warning light) generally just means that the particular function is active. So when a door is locked, the lower "lock" icon turns amber -- no matter if the headlight switch is on or off.

(I've got my car coded so that the driver's door lock switch locks and unlocks all the doors at the same time, so they all turn amber when I lock from the driver's position. But all the other switches lock and unlock individually.)

As far as icon colors, all the switches on all four door light up exactly the same.

So if your doors are locking and unlocking correctly, and one of the switches lights up differently from the others, then I'd suspect a problem with the switch illumination...

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
... So if your doors are locking and unlocking correctly, and one of the switches lights up differently from the others, then I'd suspect a problem with the switch illumination...
Agreed. Pretty sure the 'locked' amber icon illumination is
an LED built in the switch and driven by the door controller (each door has its own).
LEDs can fail, but less likely.
Would make a lot of sense to scan the door controllers with a VAG-COM or equivalent to start.

I searched my archive for a pic of the
lock button with the doors locked, could not find one.

All I could find is
doors unlocked, light switch off

doors unlocked, light switch on

Here is a (larger than life) picture of the back off a mk5 drivers door lock switch still mounted in the door card
with its harness connector unplugged.

Note the four conductors (I think there is one more not visible in the pic),
as five conductors would likely equate to something along the lines of
ground(earth), lock icon LED, lock request, unlock request, light-switch-on backlighting
Point is the controller in the door is where those wires terminate
via the door card harness.

Here is a photo dump from my mk5 archive related to the topic.
My pics are of a 2006 US mk5 GTi 2-door, for the 4-door,
pretty sure the electrical are laid out about the same
with a different door card harness / connector for the drivers door window switches module.
Should be the same for lock button though.

lock switch removal diagram

I actually removed the door pull with lock switch sub-panel before removing the lock switch

The door card includes a harness for all its switches, lighting needs, etc.
In the below pic the door lock switch is removed (door lock harness highlighted in green)
and the other end of the harness that connects to the door controller is highlighted in blue

here is a close-up of the drivers side door controller with the door card harness -connector removed.
the body harness that goes through the door into the dash is still connected to the controller

and overview of the inside / inner door (door card removed)

might as well get some mileage out of the old pics in the archive ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys thank you thank you thank you !!!

that explains everything now things are making sense , and great instructions on how to fix

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.