VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was looking for some help removing my locking wheel lug without the key.

YouTube shows a similar sized socket being hammered on hard. The closed I think fits is a twelve point 18mm socket for my 4bolt pattern lugs. But i can not get it to slam on.

Does anyone know what will work. Pretty annoying having this car is can't drive because I can't get the wheels off

·
Registered
3,891 Posts

YouTube shows a similar sized socket being hammered on hard. The closed I think fits is a twelve point 18mm socket for my 4bolt pattern lugs. But i can not get it to slam on.

Does anyone know what will work. Pretty annoying having this car is can't drive because I can't get the wheels off
Did you buy the car without the Lock?????

·
Registered
555 Posts
If you don't mind burning through sockets you can hammer on a slightly smaller socket than what is required, use a lug wrench to turn and remove, then hammer the old lug out of the socket. I've had to do this once because the old lugs were stripped...I'm sure there's a better way but that's what worked for me at the time. Lol (also goes without saying you'll need a new set of lug nuts)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,967 Posts
A welder might not be in your tool collection but welding a bigger junk socket onto the lug also works.
It doesn't really matter what size socket as long as it's bigger and not too much bigger.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Did you buy the car without the Lock?????
That's correct. I didn't even check. However it wouldn't have stopped me from buying this beauty. I have found a very cool tool that I will try and use tonight. If it works I will post pictures of it for future searchers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.