VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Registered
14,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So whats the longest single continous drive you have ever been on?
Personally I have only done about 700 miles in one day, but as a family, we drove from Charlotte, NC to Vermont (something like 950 miles), during which my father drove like 900.
Someone out there must have driven across country without stopping (I would hope with multiple drivers at least)...

· Registered
35,288 Posts
Re: Long Drives (gtivr4)

Mid-Ohio to Ithaca, NY. only stopped for food, shopping, etc.
13 freaking hours going through pennsylvania and then back up to NY.
but also, we drove from Atlanta, GA to St. Petersburg, FL. that was about 13 hours if i remember correctly in our friend's BMW. difference is that we split up the driving. ohio to ny i did all by myself.
obin

· Registered
14,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Long Drives (Dan-'83 Rabbit GTI)

Quote, originally posted by Dan-'83 Rabbit GTI »
Portland, OR. to Las Vegas in 9 hours, by myself. Had to make it to a Phish concert!

Are you sure? Thats an average speed of like 128mph...
19 hours is more likely...

· Registered
1,535 Posts
Re: Long Drives (Obin Robinson)

Quote, originally posted by Obin Robinson »

but also, we drove from Atlanta, GA to St. Petersburg, FL. that was about 13 hours if i remember correctly in our friend's BMW. difference is that we split up the driving. ohio to ny i did all by myself.
obin

That should be a 6-8 hour drive. At the most.

· Banned
6,222 Posts

21 hours non stop western ny to fla
(ok we stopped to pee and switch drivers)
three 7-hour shifts. worked out well. i drove the first leg and when it came time to switch i felt that i could go another 3 more. probably 11-13 hundred miles.

· Registered
35,288 Posts
Re: Long Drives (finley)

Quote, originally posted by finley »

That should be a 6-8 hour drive. At the most.

not through Atlanta traffic from Acworth it wasn't

obin

· Registered
2,379 Posts

3 drivers, 1 early early 90's Corsica, from Yorktown VA to New Orleans, 18 hours.
Stopped to pee and grab fast food.
Almost died in Pritchard, Alabama

Then back 3 days later http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Back in 87 my dad did form Manteca, CA to Yorktown VA pretty much non stop, a couple of naps, in an 86' Sprint. That guy's f***ed up.

Modified by Strikland at 7:21 PM 7-15-2003

· Registered
1,045 Posts

Longest continuous drive? With three drivers (in a rental) Did CT to LA and back in just over three days.
Solo? Flagstaff, AZ to just east of OKC (driving my service vehicle towing a race car) - about 900miles. Couple of hours of shut-eye and got a hotel in Knoxville, TN. Next morning, woke and drove straight from TN to CT - about 800miles
Another solo was CT to Indy.
Also towed to and from Chatanooga solo from CT. (960miles)
-Ray

· Registered
11,635 Posts

My most tortuous drive has been from Lynchburg, VA to Bar Harbor, ME, in one day. We left at 8am and arrived (and still have to set up camp) at about 2:30am. That's 900 miles straight up I95. I don't recommend it.

Second worst was Little Rock, AR to Charlottesville, VA. Also 900 miles. The biggest problem was construction on I40 the whole width of Arkansas, plus the bridge [across the Mississippi] that had collapsed a few weeks previous caused traffic to be detoured about 60 miles extra.

The worst passenger experience was when I was a kid. My family had a 1976 Pontiac Catalina Safari Wagon

that we used to use on road trips every summer. The worst was the trip to my mom's parents' place in Wisconsin, with a 1 night stopover in Indy to see my dad's parents. That's 1200 miles in 2 days, in the summer on vinyl seats without air conditioning, but with 3 kids under the age of 10. I'm sure a lot of people can beat that distance, but I think it'd be awfully hard to beat the misery.

Stikland just reminded me of another one. One year in college a friend and I drove non-stop from Charlottesville to New Orleans for Spring Break. That wasn't fun, either.

Modified by bigelliot at 2:30 PM 7-15-2003

· Registered
19,758 Posts

Longest distance would be Chuckey, TN to Southbury, CT. (I was the only driver, about 12hrs maybe 13)
Longest time would be Southbury, CT to Mt. Temblant which took FOREVER b/c of a massive snow storm in NY state, then 1hr at the board crossing after midnight and then another 2hrs beside a jack knifed semi 3 cars infront of us
(mom and I switched although she didn't drive for more than 1-2hrs)

Modified by landrumdh at 2:26 PM 7-15-2003

· Registered
1,147 Posts
Re: Long Drives (DCS)

Quote, originally posted by DCS »
21 hours non stop western ny to fla
(ok we stopped to pee and switch drivers)
three 7-hour shifts. worked out well. i drove the first leg and when it came time to switch i felt that i could go another 3 more. probably 11-13 hundred miles.

i hope you didnt drive the turbo

· Registered
14,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Long Drives (landrumdh)

Quote, originally posted by landrumdh »
Longest time would be Southbury, CT to Mt. Temblant

Heh. It took me like 5 hours to get from Tremblant to the Vermont border. Between an hour in traffic in Montreal (accident) and 2 hours at the border (and we went to the tiny unknonw border!)

· Registered
12,885 Posts

Columbus to Atlanta Multiple times ~5 hours
Columbus to Ft. Hood, Tx. ~21 hours
Atlanta to Miami ~8 hours
Miami to Harrisburg PA ~14 hours
Columbus to Waterfest should be ~7 hours

And my greatest feat of all time...Miami(Coral Gables) to Disney World in 1 hour 43 minutes.

· Banned
6,222 Posts
Re: Long Drives (Mk4Idol)

Quote, originally posted by Mk4Idol »

i hope you didnt drive the turbo

actually a NA 2.5L Mitsu.
but now that you bring it up, I don't think continuous highway crusing should hurt the turbo, it's not like the engine is under a lot of stress or boost no? I could be wrong but shouldn't people w/turbos be allowed to take long trips?
semi's are turbo diesels right?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.