VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

What is the typical cost for aftermarket shock + spring installation at local shops in Suffolk? If I buy the Koni FSD shocks and Neuspeed Springs online, will I also need to purchase any extra hardware for them to get the job done. Just curious. It's a local repair shop in my neighborhood that doesn't specialize in VW's, though they said they can do the work and suspensions aren't rocket science. I didn't ask for the quote yet.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was just quoted 5 hours of labor and $490-499 at two local shops to install shocks struts and springs. I have all parts and install kit on hand. But, don't have the tools to DIY. They also want $199 for an alignment. What is a the going rate for something like this? I thought these prices were very steep.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I was just quoted 5 hours of labor and $490-499 at two local shops to install shocks struts and springs. I have all parts and install kit on hand. But, don't have the tools to DIY. They also want $199 for an alignment. What is a the going rate for something like this? I thought these prices were very steep.
that quote is insane...

if you know what you're doing and have the proper tools for the job, then the install doesn't take more than 2 hours, max. i've had my front suspension out to replace the upper strut mounts, and it took us about 45 minutes, start to finish. doing the rears along with that shouldn't take much more than an additional 45 minutes.

i've had a few alignments done in nyc, and i've never paid more than $80 for an alignment.

not to dump on any of the respected shops in our area, but there are a lot of knowledgable and well equipped locals that will do the install for you. tyrol, dub creations, force fed, etc, are all good places that do great work and if you want to take it to a shop, then any of those should be considered (i'm partial to Dub Creations) however, my suggestion for anyone looking for a coilover install or suspension work (other than an air setup/install) would be to skip a trip to a shop and have a local with the skills and tools do it for you for no more than $250. 2 hours @ $125 per hour for labor and equipment use is more than fair for a person doing a DIY side job for you. it will give you a chance to have a little bit more of a closer look at the work involved and how to care for your suspension parts + it will likely save you some $. find a shop for the alignment afterwards and don't pay more than $100 for that work.

if you need work done, then contact Dan from Fastlane's post, or I can PM anyone info for a guy in LI that might be able to help as well. both should have all the needed tools and are very familiar with the work involved. if you want a shop recommendation, then i would go to Dub Creations if you're closer to or in NYC. Paul and Steve can get super busy sometimes, but they do great work. if you're further out into LI, then i'm not as familiar with all of the shops out there, but Force Fed would be my recommendation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.