VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I blew my second 710N this weekend. They just can't handle the boost I'm putting out with the APR 93 coupled with the ECS N75. I don't want opinions of other DVs out there, so please don't post them. All I'm looking for is reports from people who have been running a Bailey for a while, say at least a year. I'm well aware of the specs of this valve and how it performs when the valve is operating properly. I'm simply curious if anyone has had to have theirs relubed or serviced? The fact that it is a piston type unit, but that it doesn't require regular lubing is both a comfort and somewhat unerving, above all it makes me speculate the long term life of the unit. I have heard nothing about the valves for some time, so I'm just womdering if anyone is still using them and with what degree of success. I know there were some that were sticking a few years ago. Is this still an issue as well? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Re: Long term Bailey reports? (einsig)

I think I might need to do somthing with mine, I THINK mine is busted, they have a lifetime warrenty but to be honest I NEEDED a DV ASAP and the place I ordered from I cant even remember the name of (about 2 years ago, my own fault). I think I am going to borrow a Forge and see what happens.

·
Banned
12,870 Posts

Been using the same Bailey on two cars for almost two years without a problem. Never sticks, hasn't been serviced, and much better than 710N and whatever cheap arse DV came in my 01 AWW.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts

I've got about 45K chipped/k04 miles on my Bailey. Seems to work fine. I had an iussue where it seemed like it was sticking shortly after cold sarts this winter(car parked outside in the cold for extended time then the valve would flutter on the first couple shifts, and trip limp mode) I've taken it off and apart and cleaned it a few times, working perfect again now htat the weather has warmed...

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Long term Bailey reports? (Phishy)

quote:[HR][/HR]I've got about 45K chipped/k04 miles on my Bailey. Seems to work fine. I had an iussue where it seemed like it was sticking shortly after cold sarts this winter(car parked outside in the cold for extended time then the valve would flutter on the first couple shifts, and trip limp mode) I've taken it off and apart and cleaned it a few times, working perfect again now htat the weather has warmed... [HR][/HR]​
How'd you take it apart and service it?
quote:[HR][/HR]2 1/2 years on my Bailey and no problems. They are 100% guaranteed. No rebuilding/cleaning is necesary EVER.[HR][/HR]​
This is the thing I have trouble understanding. The lube packed in there from the factory will NOT last forever. It has to break down at some point. Todd at AWE once told me that the valve is continually kept lubricated by blow-by into the intake. I find that hard to believe too.
I like the performance of this valve a lot. I like that fact that I don't have to service it a lot like a Forge. However I don't like the fact that I can't service it myself (although it seems Phishy found a way to).

[Modified by einsig, 12:34 PM 3-18-2003]

·
Registered
7,025 Posts

ive had my bailey for around 2-2 1/2 yrs as well and have had zero problems with mine as well.
the sticking valves you mentioned were a faulty batch and have since been taken care of. the bailey does not need to be serviced, but it can be serviced. i have serviced mine once already.
just get a small allen key and undo the bolts on the top and from there its very similar to a forge in how you maintain it.
quick question : i used high heat lithium grease, what are you guys using as a lube?

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Re: Long term Bailey reports? (AxeAngel)

honestly I run mine "dry". when I say service it I mean I just took it apart (I have the old screw on type cap) cleaned everything out (little blow-by oil) and re-installed it. seems to work fine. I've been told it does not need lube, and from my experiance it doesn't seem like it does...

·
Registered
1,684 Posts

Since I put mine on, I've never taken it out or even looked at it. The Passat's is not as easily seen as the G/J platform - the belly pan needs to come off and you have to access it from underneath. I don't think the older ones had allen bolts to take it apart. Shows you how many times I've looked at mine since putting it on. I think that was a running change.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Re: Long term Bailey reports? (91 16V Jetta)

I had mine for almost a year now and no problems so far, knock on wood! The first batch of Bailey DV's had sticking problems, but AWE told me that they rectified the problems. I very happy with my Bailey DV and I don't even have to clean it or do maintance at all. Later

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.