VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
I am going to have the oportunity of buying a 5-cyl. 95 Eurovan... it's an automatic though and so far I've had bad experiences with VW auto- trannys... First it was the tranny in an 83 Rabbit... and just recently the 95 Golf... (both my mother's cars = not driven hard at all, so what's up with that?)
So, should I be afraid of the tranny of this eurovan? Are they the same trannys found on 4 cyl or 6 cyl veedub engines?
Thanks in advance for your comments,
Cheers,

·
Registered
438 Posts
Re: Lontime Veeduber, (MK1,MK3) first time Eurovan'er ... need help with Question (Carlitos)

The auto tranny in the EV is different than the one in the passenger cars. BTW, in the earlier Vanagon, the standard tranny was the one that caused owners the most trouble...
Let me know when you get the t-shirts made, they look pretty cool!
Az

·
Banned
1,887 Posts
Re: Lontime Veeduber, (MK1,MK3) first time Eurovan'er ... need help with Question (Carlitos)

Carlitos, VW is not known for good automatic transmissions.
The T3 (vanagons) had problems with the manual trannys, getting stuck in gear, etc.
The T4 (eurovan) had some problems with the manual trannys, mainly linkage parts wearing out, making shifting excessively vague.
The T4 automatics are a variation of of the transmission in your mom's 95 Golf. It can have the same problems that the Golf trannys have, which is why you need to inspect and drive the van before you buy. Make sure it shifts thru all the gears, make sure it kicks down on the highway correctly, and most importantly, make sure there's no slipping between gears (ie - the engine revs up when the trans shifts between 2nd and 3rd, then bangs into gear). All of these are indicators of transmission malfunction.
A good way to keep the autos healthy is to run them on the later gold VW ATF, and change it once yearly. It is expensive, but so is a $4,000 rebuilt transmission.
Good luck, and make me my frickin T4 shirt already!!!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Lontime Veeduber, (splitmeister)

quote:[HR][/HR]Carlitos, VW is not known for good automatic transmissions.
The T4 automatics are a variation of of the transmission in your mom's 95 Golf. It can have the same problems that the Golf trannys have, which is why you need to inspect and drive the van before you buy. Make sure it shifts thru all the gears, make sure it kicks down on the highway correctly, and most importantly, make sure there's no slipping between gears (ie - the engine revs up when the trans shifts between 2nd and 3rd, then bangs into gear). All of these are indicators of transmission malfunction.
A good way to keep the autos healthy is to run them on the later gold VW ATF, and change it once yearly. It is expensive, but so is a $4,000 rebuilt transmission.
[HR][/HR]​
Thanks for all that wonderful info!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I'll take the van for a spin this week and see how it drives... $4K was exactly what the dealer wanted for a new tranny! ay ay ay!

I didn't know that I had to change the ATF that often. (learned it the hard way) But I will not make that mistake anymore!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Lontime Veeduber, (splitmeister)

quote:[HR][/HR]
Good luck, and make me my frickin T4 shirt already!!!
[HR][/HR]​
Yes yes, coming right up!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Lontime Veeduber, (Carlitos)

I'll be hanging out here more often now. I went ahead and bought the Eurovan! I'll post some pix later...
Thanks for all your help with the info http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
213 Posts
Re: Lontime Veeduber, (Carlitos)

Hope you enjoy the EV. I have sure enjoyed mine over the years
Many vacations and 98k miles later. The only 'biggie' I have had was replacing the AC compressor http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
I have had no problems with the auto tranny. Had the fluid changed at the 90k service. Maybe should have had that done sooner, but still going strong.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Lontime Veeduber, (wiscVWnut)

I'm very happy with mine. I'm gonna take it to the dealer to have the tranny checked, just to make sure everything is OK. Maybe change the ATF too.
Mine is 93 and 50K miles young!

[Modified by Carlitos, 8:03 PM 4-12-2002]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.