VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I traded my beloved 2017 Passat SE in towards a 2018 Passat SELP.

My old "Blue Car," as my 7YO, then 3YO daughter called it was an excellent car. Rock reliable, it only needed tires, brakes and a battery over 58,000 miles. I'd modded it with a JB1 (for sale), Homelink mirror, tint, spoiler, and a few other minor VW accessories.

I found a smokin' deal on the SELP. It's a CPO with only 23,000 on it. The dealer agreed to my offer and off I went.

While Blue Car was a known, I'm feel pretty good about the new car with the solid warranty.

Crappy photos as I just got home.

Mods will be a JB4, hitch (for my bike rack), General RT43 tires, a Homelink mirror, sport shocks, and a rear sway bar.

So far I loved the LEDs on the drive home at night.

·
Registered
2018 Passat GT, 2012 Tiguan S
192 Posts
Congratulations! Is it a VR6? I was looking for a V6 SEL Premium but could not find one (hint hint VW they were the first to go) so ended up with the GT instead.

·
Registered
2017 VW Passat SEL Premium
910 Posts
Mods will be a JB4, hitch (for my bike rack), General RT43 tires, a Homelink mirror, sport shocks, and a rear sway bar.
Did they remove RSB for the 2018? My 2017 has this and Homelink visor.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Congratulations! Is it a VR6? I was looking for a V6 SEL Premium but could not find one (hint hint VW they were the first to go) so ended up with the GT instead.
It's a 4T. I looked at a 2017 V6 however I wanted the better mpg with the 4T, and the '18 warranty.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hitch goes on Wednesday. Clock on order. JB4 on order. Maintenance kit arrives Wednesday. It has a filthy K&N on it so I'm changing the oil and all the filters so I have a solid maintenance baseline. I've never been a K&N fan so if anyone is interested let me know. I'll even clean it.

I'm thinking Bilstein B4 sport shocks. Nothing crazy but tighten her up a bit.

It has a 21mm rear sway so I need to figure out what to go with. Probably an ECS 23mm adjustable kit.

·
Registered
664 Posts
RSB=Rear sway bar.

That's odd the '18 SEL doesn't have Homelink. My '17 SE Tech Pkg has it on the visor.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Man, that's odd. You'd think the top of line version would come with everything. Does it have heated rear seats like my '17 SE Tech Pkg?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Biggest item you get in the SELP versus a SEL or SE Tech is the leather seats, which are much nicer than the faux leather in my opinion. 👌

·
Registered
2018 Passat SE w/Tech
92 Posts
Nice ride. I have it's twin in SE Tech format in my Garage.
And agreed - the "mea culpa" warranty was too good to pass up on the '18!

I'd like to know which hitch you installed, and maybe some pics if you're feeling generous?! 😇
Only mods I've done thus far are LED's throughout the interior, and LED Fogs. Tint isn't a mod, but that too.

Love the silver, except it shows the fling off my tire shine after a wash. 😖

gr

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice ride. I have it's twin in SE Tech format in my Garage.
And agreed - the "mea culpa" warranty was too good to pass up on the '18!

I'd like to know which hitch you installed, and maybe some pics if you're feeling generous?!
Only mods I've done thus far are LED's throughout the interior, and LED Fogs. Tint isn't a mod, but that too.

Love the silver, except it shows the fling off my tire shine after a wash.

gr
I'm having a Curt and wiring harness installed as I type. I'll post some photos later today. I had the same one on my '17.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Biggest item you get in the SELP versus a SEL or SE Tech is the leather seats, which are much nicer than the faux leather in my opinion.
I agree, excellent seats! The SE seats are very nice too, however, the leather is a nice step up.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Proper clock installed.

I've simply stuck it in the dash for now as the install instructions on the forum aren't the clearest. I've bought the wires and connector, however it appears I need additional material, fuse, grounds etc.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
JB4 installed this evening. I need to play with the software a bit more as newest download doesn't match their multiple web resources. But, I'll get it sorted.

The streets are slick with rain so I've not had a chance to do a couple of learning passes. Tomorrow is supposed to be even wetter than today. Sunday perhaps?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Both my wife and I find the seats in our 18 SEL Premium to be less than good. VW went cheap and failed to install any vertical adjustment for the front of the seat bottom. The lumbar adjuster may as well not even be there, as it does next to nothing. We got the light tan interior and it's been a constant (losing) battle to keep the seats from turning blue due to jeans and uniforms. She complains that the headrest is angled too far forward, and has taken to removing and installing it backwards to fix the problem.

It's too bad that the Arteon looks like it's going to be discontinued. I sat in one of those and the seats were much better.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 50 Posts