VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a 1.8T avant with about 150K on the odo. I know many of the Passat issues to look for, but I am relatively ignorant about Audis. Do you have any suggestions as to what I should look for?
For example, I'll check the oil / check the records for synthetic oil changes (sludging??). I also know in a gasser (this'll be a winter rat for my '96 Passat TDI), the turbo runs very hot. Any other things you can suggest I look at?
What are the common problems? What are the big $$ problems I can watch for at this mileage?
I think the timing belt is about due--every 80K, right?
tia and wish me luck!
btw--I forgot to say, it's a 5-speed manual.

Modified by jetterTDI at 10:45 PM 1-6-2009

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
FV-QR

Timing belt should be done around every 60k, I would do it again for peace of mind.
The sludge issue can be big. I would do a seafoam treatment to clean out old gunk in there, you need to run synthetic. I would do a compression test to make sure things are up to spec.
Control arms and wheel bearings are big things on the B5 chassis also.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: FV-QR (cjslapshot)

Thank you!
He claims to have all the records, so I plan to check for regular synthetic oil changes. He did say that it sounds like a bearing is going in the rear, so when I finish testing the stereo, I'll listen for wheel noise.
I appreciate your help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts