VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I'm super new here and looking at buying my first car. I found a 1982 VW rabbit pickup with a 90s Passat diesel engine. When I talked to the seller he said that the main mechanical things that would need fixed soon are mostly cosmetic but the e-brake cables will need to be replaced, and he thinks the vent lines for the fuel tank should be swapped. Aside from that, it's in good mechanical condition for what is nearly a 40 year old vehicle.

i dunno how hard or expensive those things are to do and I'm looking for some insight!
thanks so much!!
kitty

·
Registered
7,820 Posts
I think you starting off on the wrong foot. You should be looking up parts or looking for someone that is willing to work on it if you do not have the skills to do it yourself.

Being a 40 year old car, I suggest anything you do should be rebuilt. If you handle the brake cables, I would expect everything to be replaced/repaired with the parts that get removed. Cables, rear wheel bearings, brake shoes, cylinders, hoses, etc. You really do not have to go about any project that way, but typically if they are 40 year old parts, they are worn out and a car with iffy brakes should not be on the road.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Mk1autohaus.com may have your brake stuff. I'm not sure about fuel vent lines. But they should be easy to find. If its mechanically sound is go for it. I would ask which electrical system he went with for the swap. Go read up on tdiclub forums and vwdiesel forums. I would love that ride.

·
Registered
Serial car rescuer, repeat offender
957 Posts
A fair amount of Rabbit Pickup action in the Vortex Mk1 forum.

But note that most of the folks in that forum call the pickups by their European market name - Caddy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts