VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fiesta ST is the current top of my list but I want to be the smart shopper and at least look at the competition. I have already looked at the sonic rs/ltz and I hated the visibility and seating position so it is already off my list. I am not interested in Mini at all. I need to at least sit in a Fiat 500 Abarth and test drive it.

Are there any others I am missing?

also tcl's thoughts of the Fiat 500 Abarth

·
Registered
'21 Ranger Tremor, '19 MX-5 Club BBR, '21 Ducati Hypermotard
41,772 Posts
Cooper S.

GTI > More so the Focus, but it still is IMO.

Honestly the Fiesta ST is at the top of its class in the US, so just buy it. :laugh:

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
If you don't need a hatch and don't mind a slightly larger car, the civic Si coupe offers similar performance with better reliability and resale. Maybe not a fun to drive as the Fiesta St (i only compared it to the focus ST), but if you like sweet-shifting 6-speeds and a linear power band it's a nice car. Comes pretty well-equipped, too. Mileage might not be as good, not really sure (I get 25-27mpg in my Si sedan).

·
Registered
A3 etron, Volt
9,538 Posts
According to this place the E46 M3 is its competition.
:p I still maintain that it was a good trade.

OP I looked at getting a GTI, didn't really consider the Fiat though. Focus ST was also an option for me. I threw the FRS into the mix since my requirements were basically fun + lightweight + good mileage + cheap. I came away with the Fiesta ST. Awesome fun to drive. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2015 Honda Civic Si, 2016 Jeep GC High Altitude
568 Posts
If you don't need a hatch and don't mind a slightly larger car, the civic Si coupe offers similar performance with better reliability and resale. Maybe not a fun to drive as the Fiesta St (i only compared it to the focus ST), but if you like sweet-shifting 6-speeds and a linear power band it's a nice car. Comes pretty well-equipped, too. Mileage might not be as good, not really sure (I get 25-27mpg in my Si sedan).
Honda with a linear powerband? I also don't know what you mean by similar performance. Straight line yes but it isn't in the same class as the Fiesta ST when it comes to handling. It is also way bigger I just don't know why anyone would cross shop those cars.

·
Registered
23,408 Posts
FV-QR

I really think the Fiesta ST is at the top of the class here and doesn't really have alot of direct competition.

Fiat 500 may offer similar thrills but with much less space and practicality.

The Mini although being kinda similar is significantly more expensive in S form and also not as practical as the Fiesta.

·
Registered
'21 Ranger Tremor, '19 MX-5 Club BBR, '21 Ducati Hypermotard
41,772 Posts
I really think the Fiesta ST is at the top of the class here and doesn't really have alot of direct competition.

Fiat 500 may offer similar thrills but with much less space and practicality.

The Mini although being kinda similar is significantly more expensive in S form and also not as practical as the Fiesta.
This. The Fiat is a Fiat/ Chrysler product... can you say hello headaches? It also has an awful driving position.

The Cooper S is a good car. It is British!!! ;) Wait that is probably a bad point, ok it is German! Find a Cooper S CPO if you say no to the Fiesta.

And the Sonic is just not in the same league as anything else mentioned here.

< That is coming from a GM guy.

·
Registered
Impreza | '86 RX-7 | Ninja 400
11,072 Posts
The MINI is technically British, actually. :beer: Most of the German parts of it are the title and a few parts here and there.

The Fiesta is probably the best choice of the competition with the Cooper as a strong second (even in base form).

And lol at this thread. Civic Sis and GTIs are not Fiesta territory. :laugh:

Edit: I suppose I should answer OP about the Fiat. There are a few Abarth owners that love theirs, which is cool. I drove the regular one (so I'm throwing my hands up in this thread, technically) and thought it was absolutely awful. The driving position + tiny tinyness + ergonomics + interior materials were all horrid. Not bad, horrid.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.