VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
A new member here... who is looking for Golf with I5 2.5 only with MT.
That would be getting the 2.5 for me, but also as a car for my daughter.
Preferably a 5-door one, not really the Rabbit. Eventually Jetta, but Golf speaks more.

What I need from you folks, a good feedback which years are absolutely to avoid, and which are worth to get.
And of course any other tips or warnings. I heard about timing chain issues with pre 2008... real danger?

BTW, back in 90's my father had a 1982 Passat with 1.9 (or maybe 2.0) I5.
I loved this engine and its sound. Hence I want to get back to it.

As you may see - my rides are different, so different experience with different cars. I change cars every couple of years, what my wife hates. It is an addiction.
Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Inline 5 engines are a collectible at this time.
You're right about them being collectible.
No, stop using this term :D
Not yet, until I get mine... well, for my daughter.

so in short - do not get 2007.
2008 and later are OK.
Were there 5-door Rabbits with MT? When I was researching it, I read that 5-door was only AT.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Even if you prefer the MT, the AT is awesome.
I do not doubt it is good.
The reason to get MT is to have my kids exposed to MT. We travel overseas quite often. Americans are not accustom to 3 pedals and the need to shift gears.
Wifes car is AT. Mine (EV) is... EV so no gears at all. Porsche - no way I am teaching them how to drive MT.

Since I loved the I5 torque and sound, I thought that would be the best car.
It has very good balance of power and weight. And the sound is just something else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You answered my question I had in mind...
But going one step further.
How long was the 2.5 in Golf/Rabbit? Am I correct it was also available in MK VI?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts