VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I wanna turbo but I want to be street legal and I dont want to do a whole 1.8t swap anyone have anyideas on how I might go about doing this? I have thought about going nuespeed Charger w/ a crossflow head but I would rather turbo I think. HELP

· Registered
777 Posts
Re: Looking for a CA legal way to turbo my MKII (Motorwerks)

I doubt you'll find a way to legally turbo you're car. I doubt there is a tuner large enough in the US to seek a C.A.R.B executive order for a turbo kit. <-- Just reviewed the linked page at the bottom, there are a couple E.O. s out for Volkswagen that you may want to look into Only way to get around smog (if thats what you're worried about) is to swap a diesel motor in and take it to the ref and registered as a diesel. Then put whatever motor you want in. Too much of a hassle. Can you get by legally... probably not. Can you get by... yes. I'm in your area so if you do decide to go through with your plans and need help getting passed let me know.
These are the current executive orders out there for California...
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/a...e.php
Hope this helps and good luck,
Dan

Modified by ThugGTi at 1:35 AM 7-13-2003

· Registered
139 Posts

I don't understand what the big deal is - why aren't any tuners even trying!?
A few months ago I spoke at length with one of the private labs that does CARB testing for companies - the tests do not have to be done on each and every model they seek exemption for, only a cross section of them if they use the same motor. It would cost a couple of grand ($1300-$3000).
They explained there IS a problem if you want to get exemption for the last couple of model years because the standards are more stringent for them (they would need testing under load and at speed), but the earlier model years the testing is pretty lax - and I was told that any increase in emissions after the turbo spools up would most likely not even be seen in the test results.
We should just form a pool, raise the money ourselves and form a consortium or something with us to be re-paid with a percentage from whichever company we get the CARB EO for out of any California sales that are made afterwards - that would work well for the company making the kit and for the people who want to buy it. Better yet, one of the companies making these kits should just get a set, and realize there are a lot of us waiting.

· Registered
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Looking for a CA legal way to turbo my MKII (VWFringe)

Yeah it sure would be nice I want a turbo but I want smog IM kinda thinking 20v head with all VW parts should fly....I have heard of it being done....cheap....NO but I want to keep this car smogable

· Registered
777 Posts

Check the link again Motorwerks... I think I saw two kits for a 92 VW.
Look at it this way... the three big companies here in the states; EIP, ATP, and Matrix.
EIP - isn't well known for customer service, isn't based in CA and probably doesn't see a huge market from CA residents, thus they're not going to drop the cash/time/effort to get the EO.
ATP - these guys would be the most likely to get an exemption, but again they seem pretty busy as is, don't even have programming that works across the spectrum for VR6Ts, and are self proclaimed as the one stop shop for, "DIY Turbo Fools." Thus they're designing "kits" that are meant to be tweaked and worked over for the best results. Not like Greddy or HKS and they're Honda kits which are meant to be slapped on and run fine.
Matrix - Seeing as their kit is still a work in progress and is only now really breaking onto the market, we'll see how demand goes and see if their is enough desire to get the kit an exemption. Also, I have not heard much of their programming and whether or not it would be able to pass emissions testing. (Similar problem both ATP and EIP would face)
I'll say this, these are just my opinions and thats it. I have thought about this before and this is just a little synopsis that I could come up with of why the VW Turbo market may be lacking. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif for VW electronics.

· Registered
139 Posts
Re: Looking for a CA legal way to turbo my MKII (Marty)

What's weak.....is how easy it could be for them to be telling the truth.
But have any of them even talked to the state and test labs as much as I have as a simple DIY home mechanic? If they don't actually have anything in the works they shouldn't even say anything. I don't know Matrix, but I get the impression they are doing most of their kits for off-roader's, but that it is a finished product (albeit with a but ugly mani), but LET THIS BE A CHALLENGE to both ATP AND MATRIX - SHOW US YOU HAVE A SET AND AT LEAST CHECK OUT THE TEST LABS AND EO PROCESS - it really doesn't sound that tough for models up to 2000.

· Registered
5,378 Posts
Re: Looking for a CA legal way to turbo my MKII (VWFringe)

Thers is no 'profit' is getting CARB exemption... sorry but true.
There are 'tons' of customers out there that need/want full legality...
'hogwash' I say.
When it really comes down to reality, not many folks pony up the the coin.
Look at the posts here what 5-6 potential customers. The margins on thsese Kits
are just not large enough to justfy the 'hassle' of certification for the few
that may want it.
If you want your personal vehicle legal, get your vehicle certified yourself.
Sorry to say there are no full CARB turbo kits available. In the near furture there
will be no CARB kits avilable. (next 5 years)
Jeffrey Atwood

· Registered
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Looking for a CA legal way to turbo my MKII (Jefnes3)

Quote, originally posted by Jefnes3 »

If you want your personal vehicle legal, get your vehicle certified yourself.
so next question anyone know how to get a car exept with out CARB?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.